PDA

View Full Version : Crab traps

Cdn-Redneck
06-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Looking at getting a couple traps. I have used the square blue ones and had good success but is there a better trap? Birch bay crab season is coming up soon.

Sasqman
06-22-2014, 09:05 PM
http://www.armyandnavy.ca/Pacific-Spring-Up-Crab-Trap-_p_870.html

These are dynamite!

albravo2
06-22-2014, 09:22 PM
I use the blue ones and they work fine for me. I like the Army and Navy ones in the link above but mine keep disappearing and I don't want to spend any more than necessary.

I think they were about $25 at Walmart in North Van last summer.

Cdn-Redneck
06-23-2014, 07:14 AM
Was looking at this one too
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Willapa-Marine-Leaded-Line-Crab-Pot-Kit/1729194.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3FrecordsPerPag e%3D18%26No%3D0%26N%3D0%26nl%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllPro ducts%26Ntt%3DCrab%26search%3DSearch&No=0&Ntt=Crab

kilometers
06-23-2014, 07:20 AM
In my opinion they must fold up to save space.
Food inside, crabs will come

f350ps
06-23-2014, 08:00 AM
Looking at getting a couple traps. I have used the square blue ones and had good success but is there a better trap? Birch bay crab season is coming up soon.

A round trap will out fish a square one! K

06-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Round full stainless... they take up a bit of room but they fish better and last longer. The gates on the cheapos rot and you wind up using them way longer then you should.
As well take this however you like but.... i was told by a commie crab fisher that a crab will go around a circle trap till it finds the door but will walk right off the square ones...

buy what you like but my round stainless out fishes dads trap 10-1

ultramafic
06-23-2014, 10:12 AM
The price of those Army and Navy ones doesn't look all that bad, doesn't look like that bad a trap. We have used the blue wire traps and had some good success, have also used a black mesh fabric folding jobby which was awesome for not taking up a lot of space but sucked terribly trying to get the little buggers out as they clung to anything and everything that and the mesh was smaller so I had to bring up all the smaller ones to the surface, trap looked great full of crab till we weren't able to keep any. As mentioned above I vote for, stick with simple and cheap depending on where you are fishing as they do tend to "float" away.

mike

Cdn-Redneck
06-23-2014, 01:06 PM
We are going to check some out army and navy has them on sale right now. The best traps were the old plastic igloo traps but I don't think they are legal anymore. I know cabelas had some really nice round ones with four doors but they were also 4x more expensive than the blue square ones.

IronNoggin
06-24-2014, 12:37 PM
... i was told by a commie crab fisher that a crab will go around a circle trap till it finds the door but will walk right off the square ones...

True that, it's been filmed.

I find the Best out there are the larger diameter stainless commercial traps. Cut the weight bar out of the floor, and they are manageable. Helps obviously to have a puller. These WILL outfish any others out there. Can generally find them in the local Buy & Sell.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
Nog