PDA

View Full Version : any suggestions for a decent quality hand crank meat grinder

weiss
06-21-2014, 08:36 AM
Looking for a good quality meat grinder. Recently bought one from Wholesale Sports and had to bring it back. Quality for so awful, never seen anything as poorly made as that one. I need one that has decently clean casting and good-fitting worm screw to the bushing, something that will cut meat rather than munch it into a goo. Suggestions please, thanks beforehand.

bridger
06-21-2014, 09:07 AM
We use a 3/4 hp from cabelas. Works great.

Gr8 white hunter
06-21-2014, 09:21 AM
We got the 1 hp from Cabela's it does work great . When you buy a grinder make sure it has metal gears they don't wear out plastic gears wear out. Happy grinding.

weiss
06-21-2014, 09:24 AM
thank you for suggestion. Though this is 600-700$ unit, I am looking for hand-crank type, mostly because it will be cheaper. Have so many good rifles without sopes, meat grinder has a really low budget for this year.

lip_ripper00
06-21-2014, 09:43 AM
Their is a good deal on Craigslist Vancouver on a German made grinder, if lts still their Monday I am going to grab it

Papa Sasquatch
06-21-2014, 10:24 AM
I got mine "Jupiter 8" from my Grand-Ma and it works as good as new. I have no idea how old it is but she would be in her late 90's now so it has been around for ~70~ years unless she got it used from an old version of CL! You can probably find one made in China nowadays that would last you until you need it then a tiny little un-replaceable plastic clip would be missing ...!

Jager
06-21-2014, 11:03 AM
I'd check the 2nd hand and thrift stores. I've seen lots of the no.10 size the bigger ones are more rare. Something that grandma and grandpa used May be old and used but is generally better quality than the china/Taiwan stuff you buy new. Try home hardware it may carry better quality than WSS.

weiss
06-23-2014, 08:10 AM
... Something that grandma and grandpa used May be old and used but is generally better quality than the china/Taiwan stuff you buy new.

I thought there must be some newly made of comparable quality. My ma and my GF's ma have those, but they value them so much and don't feel right borrowing those grinders all the time. I guess off to craigslist I go...

Mikey Rafiki
06-23-2014, 08:57 AM
I've used a Waring Pro for about 8 years now. It still works fine and I usually do several batches a year up to 60 pounds plus my own burger from all deer and elk. The only weak part is the screw cap which broke once because I didn't have the assembly tightened well and a piece of gristle got in between the cutting wheel and grinder plate. My old man has the same one and its lasted about 10 years. I picked up a spare at a garage sale for $25 with all the accessories.

We had used an old cast hand cranker for ever and it would outpace the Waring but your arm would get a good work out. The best thing about the hand crank is they stuff casings really well to so you don't need an electric grinder AND a stuffer.

Philcott
06-23-2014, 09:00 AM
I thought there must be some newly made of comparable quality.

Don't you just wish......... Can't find much new today that has quality. The consumer has convinced manufacturers that cheap sells so that's what they make.

Summer's here and you'll find a good one at a garage sale somewhere. Get a large one and be ready for a good arm workout.

weiss
06-24-2014, 12:50 PM
thank you all for great suggestions. Thrift stores, craigslist, garage sales, and Waring Pro if I can find one.

buck nash
07-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Try stuffers in langley (murrayville). They had some nice ones last time I was there.

MRP
07-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Princess Auto grinder with the belt pulley on it. Old 3/4 he motor. 20 or so moose and buffalo. Grinds 5 gallon bucket of fist sized chucks meat in minutes.

adriaticum
07-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Go to Stuffers in Langley and get stuff from them. They have high quality "stuff" and meat processors buy from them.
http://www.stuffers.com/