PDA

View Full Version : Elk diaphram calls

bc_buckshot
06-18-2014, 07:48 AM
Been practising with my primos single reed diaphram call and its getting busted up. No pro at it but getting better at cow calls and chirps. Looking for people reviews and suggestions on a good elk cow/calf diaphram call. Look for one that is more so for cows then bulls. I also use a primos terminator with a built in bull reed so my bugles are covered

todbartell
06-18-2014, 09:09 AM
I use Primos Sonic Dome, but also like the Wapiti River calls too

.300WSMImpact!
06-18-2014, 01:31 PM
carlton calls I like, but i also find if I change brands it takes me a bit to learn how to call with them

hunter1993ap
06-18-2014, 04:21 PM
I use Primos Sonic Dome, but also like the Wapiti River calls too

the wapiti river calls I tried didn't hold up, the metal on the latex wasn't clamped down hard enough and the 8 calls I had didn't last long enough to make it to the field. not sure if I got a bad batch or what, but calls are expensive and I havnt tried them since. I like berry, carltons, and primo's work in a pinch.

hunter1947
06-18-2014, 05:06 PM
I use a 12 inch PCV 1inch pipe with a wood plug inserted in the end with a V grove cut out at the end of the PVC pipe where the wood plug goes works very good for calling in cows ..

Liveforthehunt
06-18-2014, 06:19 PM
That sounds interesting 1947 I may have to do some experimenting

leadpillproductions
06-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Can you show us a pic of your call
I use a 12 inch PCV 1inch pipe with a wood plug inserted in the end with a V grove cut out at the end of the PVC pipe where the wood plug goes works very good for calling in cows ..

Vader
06-18-2014, 07:51 PM
When diaphram calls fail early its often because they are old stock. I never buy any that have been placed in or near direct sunlight. I also inspect, best I can, each one to see if there are any puckers in the latex.
Further I never buy any calls until the middle of August. Reason.. I suspect that old stock is out and sold first before the new stock is placed on the shelves. I have been bit on both circumstances.
I used to use Jones diaphrams that had metal clamps on the latex and loved em.. Now I use the sonics.

hunter1947
06-19-2014, 05:31 AM
Can you show us a pic of your call

This is my secret I want to keep it to myself I took my first bull elk back in 68 with this home made elk caller ,,sorry I can't show I did give you members a lot of info on this call if you want to try making one..

shallowH2O
06-19-2014, 05:50 AM
Wapiti river works great for me