PDA

View Full Version : october moose Leh, 2006

derek p
02-28-2007, 11:53 PM
I waited for the winter doldrums to set in before posting on our Leh moose hunt into region 5..
The first order of business was a place to sleep, thanks to the folks at deluxe, our tent arrived with plenty of time to spare. A large spacious 12' wide by 15' long with the porch extension... what an awesome unit.

We left town on friday night from vancouver and made it to Williams lake by midnight, a quick sleep in the truck and we were back on the road by 5:30 am, headed west. My partner and I (insert brokeback joke here Mr. Bartel:lol: ) had already decided that if a meat deer was spotted, the hunt would be on.

At 7:15, we rounded a corner and there they were, 2 bucks and a doe, the older smarter deer made for the hills, so a fork it was to be. A nice camp deer for sure.

After finishing up with the deer the trip continued, we rolled into the camp location around noon, and with no more hunting to be done this day, a round or two was in order.

Saturday was spent erecting all the structures for a comfortable stay. The real work began on opening day of Leh, Sunday..

We awoke in the morning to find 2 cows feeding in the lake, maybe a mile away. A stalk was quickly planned, but after hours and hours of calling and watching no bull appeared and the cows grew tired of our company.

The scenery was absolutely stunning and luckily the weather held, cold, clear, and crisp. A guy couldn't ask for more.

On day three a lonely bull decided to walk out in front of us as were road hunting ditch chickens, that proved to be his demise.

Celebrations and drinks were definelty on tap for the rest of the nite.

We had decided to hunt on friday, and then start the chore of breaking camp for an early departure on saturday morning. The morning started with sleeping in a little, and then a short trip to the well for fresh water, and as luck would have it, there was our second moose.. a short haul for the quad and this guy was back in camp.

All in all a very sucessful trip, great scenery, good friends, and lots of fun.

(in case any one wonders there was six hunters in our camp with 4 leh tags)

I whacked the coyote on the trip out, just to feel part of bartel's 56 page long thread on predator hunting.:)

Sorry for the long story, thanks for reading. Pics in the gallery.

Derek

Smokepole
03-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Good story and even better idea to wait till the middle of winter to tell it.

Phil
03-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Well done! Nice pics. Sounds like a great hunt.

Elkhound
03-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the post Derek. Glad you were successful

beeker
03-02-2007, 01:52 PM
good story... but where are the pictures you guys are commenting on?

Elkhound
03-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Sorry for the long story, thanks for reading. Pics in the gallery.

Derek

Here ya go http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1273&sl=d