PDA

View Full Version : Spring Cinnamon at 4ft

Hellfish Hunter
06-16-2014, 09:54 PM
So my family and I were heading to the Tullameen for a Father's Day weekend with friends. We we're staying in two rental cabins right on Otter Lake. I had a bear tag burning a hole in my pocket, so thought this could be a good chance to get my spring bear.

The wife teased me in front our friends that if I didn't get something soon she would revoke my hunting privileges. $&@? Talk about pressure! I hunter thursday afternoon with my buddies sister, nothing! Got up Friday morning hungover so decided to go out in the afternoon, I went with my daughter (12) and we did run into a bear but I wasn't fast enough to get the gun loaded and get a shot off.

I went to bed early so I could hunt the next morning, I went this time with my middle daughter (6) we hunted hard that day, hiked a few hills and sat and glassed a lot of cuts. Nothing! Pressure was getting to me, I decided to hunt Saturday evening by myself.

I hunted all the areas that showed good signs of bears, nothing, calling using a fawn bleep didn't seem to help. I was feeling like it wasn't going to happen, so I decided to head back to the cabin. I was about a 1/2 km from my last spot when a bear crossed the road in front of me.

I stopped the quad and loaded my gun and decided to see I could see him heading up the hill, I get to the spot where he climbed up the hill, couldn't see him, so I decided to climb a little way up the hill. I went about 20 ft up the hill so I could get a better look, NOTHING, I listened and looked, NOTHING! I didn't even hear him moving through the brush.

I sat quite for about 5 minutes just listening for him, then it hear a noise behind me and here is a BEAR coming across the road straight at me, I stood up, turned and fired from the hip, he was 4 ft from me!

The bullet entered in front of his left shoulder and exited his right side, he crumpled and fell back down the hill to the road, I chambered another round and waited to see if he was going to move, BEAR DOWN!!!

Talk about a close encounter with a bear. The good news is I get to keep hunting!

I wish I could send photos but I can't get them up loaded, if some one can pm me I will send them to you.

Papa Sasquatch
06-16-2014, 10:39 PM
Someone has established a rule sometime ago that made so much sense!
No pictures ... it never happened!
PS: Jealousy make me say those awfully mean things LOL I hunted hard all weekend Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and got zip! I am really happy for you. You get to keep your license, you got great memories and you got Bear.

buckguy
06-17-2014, 05:09 AM
Congrats on your bear, what a memory. Looking forward to the pics.

albravo2
06-17-2014, 07:17 AM
good story, I'm with PapaSasq- a bit jealous.

Pics are a pain to post the first time then pretty easy. Check out the signature line from Coach, he lists pretty clear instructions.

boxhitch
06-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Attago on the quick draw.
Sometimes the rules about checking details go out the window

coach
06-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story. Picture posting directions are in my signature..

Hellfish Hunter
06-17-2014, 09:20 PM
Here are the photos, hope this works!

http://s807.photobucket.com/user/HellfishHunter/media/imagejpg10_zpscceb7dce.jpg.html?sort=3&o=http://s807.photobucket.com/user/HellfishHunter/media/imagejpg7_zps56a145b1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

moosinaround
06-17-2014, 09:42 PM
yup, thats a nice rug for sure! Nice color! Good sausage bear! congrats! Moosin

nano
06-17-2014, 10:11 PM
Nice bear and cool write up, congrats

Elkhound
06-19-2014, 10:32 AM
I think I know that bear

coach
06-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Use the IMG code to put your pictures directly into the thread. Great looking bear.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy353/HellfishHunter/imagejpg9_zps94e9d50a.jpg (http://s807.photobucket.com/user/HellfishHunter/media/imagejpg9_zps94e9d50a.jpg.html)

Hellfish Hunter
06-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Thanks! I was luck to get it!