PDA

View Full Version : favorite dates for elk hunting?

6point
06-15-2014, 08:49 PM
I am curious as to what are peoples favorite dates for elk hunting. For myself I would have to say anyweres between the 15th to the 25th of September. the weathers normaily starting to cool down and to me it seems like the rut is at its peak? I also enjoy the last week of the season in October too!

tomahawk
06-15-2014, 08:53 PM
love Oct 10 till season ends...........cause that means I got a Rosie LEH draw!

Moose Guide
06-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Sept. 10 to Oct. 20!!!! Most of my bulls have been taken between Sept. 10-21, but I have taken 2 or 3 after that but non after Oct. 15!!!

Mikey Rafiki
06-16-2014, 08:39 AM
Sept 1-10 for the tasty bow bulls, or the last week of season where the really big boys have made their way out of those hidey holes and the satellite 6 pointers are alone looking for love.

GoatGuy
06-16-2014, 08:48 AM
sept 1-9 is a phenomenal time to be out chasing elk.

leadpillproductions
06-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Killed most of my bulls sept 1-15 manly 7-10 days seem to be best for me

BCHunterFSJ
06-16-2014, 10:22 AM
I am curious as to what are peoples favorite dates for elk hunting. For myself I would have to say anyweres between the 15th to the 25th of September. the weathers normaily starting to cool down and to me it seems like the rut is at its peak? I also enjoy the last week of the season in October too!

I agree on Sept. 15 - Sept. 25th!

06-16-2014, 11:34 AM
I like Sept. 20- Oct. 10.

pg83
06-16-2014, 11:44 AM
From the responses so far it seems like the entire season is the best time to be hunting elk. Can't argue with that!

hunter1947
06-16-2014, 01:12 PM
For me Sept 25th to Oct 10th

Bugle M In
06-16-2014, 01:55 PM
The first good frosty day!
Can't tell you when that is though?
I seem to miss it by a week, either before or after I am there.
Some places first opening is good, or beginning Oct...
Seems that I have taken many on the 3rd to 4th Oct.
have hunted opening day with success as well, just the heat makes for shorter hours of hunting is all.
if I had a quad, I would check out other areas, during this time, looking for sign.
but you never know what the weather is like till you go, making it hard to book time away from work etc.
Makes me a little envious of the boys like H67 who have the time and live close to elk already etc.

curt
06-16-2014, 05:45 PM
here is a better question for the proclaimed rookie elk hunter being me I've taken a few but im no pro when is the hottest time to get the bulls coming to the calls and would those time be different from the kootenays to the peace?

Dannybuoy
06-16-2014, 05:50 PM
For me Sept 25th to Oct 10th

Is that in the koots or when you were on the island or both ?

6point
06-16-2014, 06:02 PM
I'm curious as to why a couple of you have said the end of September to the 10th of October? Any reasons in particular or "just cause"?

Bugle M In
06-16-2014, 08:12 PM
I'm curious as to why a couple of you have said the end of September to the 10th of October? Any reasons in particular or "just cause"?

For one thing....the leaves are starting to fall, so elk and other game are not as difficult to spot...IMO.
Weather is cooler....usually.
If it's hot, they can stay holed up in some creek beds ALL DAY!...and for days at a time!
And from what I understand, the 2nd cycle for cows have started. ( late Aug Is the 1st cycle, and usually more bugling, without having to bugle, they seem to quiet down once hunters start showing up)
Weaker bulls are probably more on the go come late September, looking for another harem, if the lost out at their first place etc.....IMO
Frosty days just make for better hunts......but things change from year to year....
one time Awesome....next season, same time same place....SLOW.
I have taken bulls at lunchtime, in 30+ c weather, had them bugling etc....and other times nothing moves????
Frosty days just seem to offer longer hunting hours in my opinion over the years.
And don't let anyone tell you they stop bugling in October......they can start at any time.
Check post from the past....you will see people posting bulls they took in October quite often.

the main trick with elk is locating where they are, meaning fresh sign...if the steps are fresh....they are around.....just use patience and learn the terrain,
and you might start to understand where they are at, even if they are quiet.
Using a bugle when seeing a bull with a few cows from a distance is generally a big no no.
In tight...go for it!....you will get his attention.

hunter1947
06-17-2014, 02:14 AM
For one thing....the leaves are starting to fall, so elk and other game are not as difficult to spot...IMO.
Weather is cooler....usually.
If it's hot, they can stay holed up in some creek beds ALL DAY!...and for days at a time!
And from what I understand, the 2nd cycle for cows have started. ( late Aug Is the 1st cycle, and usually more bugling, without having to bugle, they seem to quiet down once hunters start showing up)
Weaker bulls are probably more on the go come late September, looking for another harem, if the lost out at their first place etc.....IMO
Frosty days just make for better hunts......but things change from year to year....
one time Awesome....next season, same time same place....SLOW.
I have taken bulls at lunchtime, in 30+ c weather, had them bugling etc....and other times nothing moves????
Frosty days just seem to offer longer hunting hours in my opinion over the years.
And don't let anyone tell you they stop bugling in October......they can start at any time.
Check post from the past....you will see people posting bulls they took in October quite often.

the main trick with elk is locating where they are, meaning fresh sign...if the steps are fresh....they are around.....just use patience and learn the terrain,
and you might start to understand where they are at, even if they are quiet.
Using a bugle when seeing a bull with a few cows from a distance is generally a big no no.
In tight...go for it!....you will get his attention.

In the past 10 or so years the weather has got hotter in the first 3 weeks of Sept I have found out that the elk are not as active in the hot weather..
The latter part of Sept rolls around on into the first 10 days of Oct the elk move around more and bugle more at least in the area I hunt in the EK..

The weather pattern has changed over the last 20 years I used to get snow and colder conditions 20 to 30 years ago and colder conditions back in the
day.

I am not saying elk don't rut late Aug early Sept I find they do rut at this time but they do more of there rutting during the cooler times at night time
I have kept all my time of kills on RME and the past 10 years I have taken 80% of my elk during the last week of Sept into the first two weeks of Oct
never changed hunting area or what I do to hunt an elk..

hunter1947
06-17-2014, 02:20 AM
Is that in the koots or when you were on the island or both ?

In the EK what I am referring to..

hunter1947
06-17-2014, 02:30 AM
here is a better question for the proclaimed rookie elk hunter being me I've taken a few but im no pro when is the hottest time to get the bulls coming to the calls and would those time be different from the kootenays to the peace?

All regions can have an impact on when elk are active some regions might be cooler at times then others cows can go into heat at any given time in any region when it is cool or hot cows triggers the rut bulls then get active I'm not saying that you can't call in bulls in early Sept when the weather is hot I have called in many bulls early Sept when it was in hot conditions but find I get more action from bulls when its colder conditions at lest for me..
I have found that bulls shut up don't talk much if wolves are present or lots of hunting pressure bull elk have learned over the years that when they bugle this lets the wolves know where they are as for hunters calling every given place remote areas you have a better chance calling in bull elk any time of the rut.

Bugle M In
06-17-2014, 10:58 AM
All regions can have an impact on when elk are active some regions might be cooler at times then others cows can go into heat at any given time in any region when it is cool or hot cows triggers the rut bulls then get active I'm not saying that you can't call in bulls in early Sept when the weather is hot I have called in many bulls early Sept when it was in hot conditions but find I get more action from bulls when its colder conditions at lest for me..
I have found that bulls shut up don't talk much if wolves are present or lots of hunting pressure bull elk have learned over the years that when they bugle this lets the wolves know where they are as for hunters calling every given place remote areas you have a better chance calling in bull elk any time of the rut.

True, last year the wolves were back in the watershed we were hunting, hardly a peep from elk, 2bulls came in silent, and from quite a distance away.
Also pushed elk into an area that they hadn't used much in years.
The heat just makes things sluggish at times, and can drive your patience to the boiling point.
Hard to get a bull when he is content at sitting in a creek, with hundreds of yards of thick junk protecting him as well.
And he will wait til after dark to inspect quite often.
In past years you could have frost come start of Sept, but it doesn't seem to happen now for many years.

Heck, sometimes the leaves have hardly changed colour where I hunt by end of September.
Years ago, half the leaves would be on the round, and nothing was green anymore.
And no way would I get away hunting in just a long sleeved shirt, but I do now.

But it is hunting, anything can happen, and some have success regardless of conditions.

hunter1947
06-17-2014, 03:20 PM
True, last year the wolves were back in the watershed we were hunting, hardly a peep from elk, 2bulls came in silent, and from quite a distance away.
The heat just makes things sluggish at times, and can drive your patience to the boiling point.
Hard to get a bull when he is content at sitting in a creek, with hundreds of yards of thick junk protecting him as well.
In past years you could have frost come start of Sept, but it doesn't seem to happen now for many years.

Heck, sometimes the leaves have hardly changed colour where I hunt by end of September.
Years ago, half the leaves would be on the round, and nothing was green anymore.

But it is hunting, anything can happen, and some have success regardless of conditions.

Well said and yes some have success regardless of the weather and whatever else that a hunter can face when it comes to hunting elk..

Ferenc
06-17-2014, 08:24 PM
Middle two weeks of Sept .... But then what the hell the month of Sept is even better

Ltbullken
06-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Opening day. Calling a couple days earlier to locate bulls, herds. Go in to target area before first shooting light opening day and bugle 'em in! ...sure sounds good in theory....

6point
06-18-2014, 07:29 PM
something ive always been curious about is..is there certain elevations you are more likely to find elk at in September and October or is it more just you find them wherever? I never realy paid much attention to elevations when hunting until last year and so im not sure with elk hunting if its THAT importiant?

curt
06-18-2014, 11:50 PM
hey that is interesting stuff what I got from a biologist once when talking about moose made sense to me I would bet it goes for most animals this was the theory .... the rut or breeding season apparently has little to do with the weather and way more to do with the diminishing hrs of day light!? Which makes sense to me because with weather patterns being so different year to year it would really effect the young's ability to survive the following winter but what I am getting from you is it appears as though the better part of the calling elk is early sept whether they answer or not they respond to the call somehow?

leadpillproductions
06-19-2014, 12:00 AM
I hunted up north sept 1-10 first year killed 2 bulls in 2.5 days very hot in day cool in morning
Second year killed bull first evening called a plye out raining buckets . They need to breed they need to breed hot or cool they got to do it .
Hell I even bugled a bull in Nov 12 yes Nov 12 one year for fun was setting deer stand and he was calling . pulled him to 30 yrds from the truck .

GoatGuy
06-20-2014, 12:47 AM
Most of the biology takes care of the myths associated with the 'rut' and elk.

Cows come into estrus at a time so that calves hit the ground during green up in the spring.

Cows control the 'rut', not bulls. Bulls do not pass up on getting laid because it's only september 1st and they aren't supposed to rut until september 20th.

Weather does not precipitate the rut, it may make elk more active during the daylight if it's colder.

One hot cow can make all the difference for hunters because you can have a handful of bulls screaming and all of the sudden the hunting was "phenomenal on sept XX last year". Early september you will find the bigger bulls participate much more.

Lastly, if a bull is near a hot cow he will scream his head off - they can't control themselves. Just something to think about. Hear lots of guys with this "only bugle once every 30 minutes." Another one of my favorites is the size of a bulls antlers is dictated by his bugle.

Last time we were chasing elk around in the EK they were bugling August 31st when we rode in to camp. Saw 35 bulls the first 5 days with hot cows being chased and all kinds of action. FYI.

Ourea
06-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Great comments GG.
Underscore, " the cows r the influencing factor" not the bulls.

hunter1993ap
06-22-2014, 04:36 PM

Cows come into estrus at a time so that calves hit the ground during green up in the spring.

Cows control the 'rut', not bulls. Bulls do not pass up on getting laid because it's only september 1st and they aren't supposed to rut until september 20th.

Weather does not precipitate the rut, it may make elk more active during the daylight if it's colder.

One hot cow can make all the difference for hunters because you can have a handful of bulls screaming and all of the sudden the hunting was "phenomenal on sept XX last year". Early september you will find the bigger bulls participate much more.

Lastly, if a bull is near a hot cow he will scream his head off - they can't control themselves. Just something to think about. Hear lots of guys with this "only bugle once every 30 minutes." Another one of my favorites is the size of a bulls antlers is dictated by his bugle.

Last time we were chasing elk around in the EK they were bugling August 31st when we rode in to camp. Saw 35 bulls the first 5 days with hot cows being chased and all kinds of action. FYI.

just seems like common sense when you put it like this. put your time in during the season and you will find some hot bulls.

Bugle M In
06-24-2014, 11:59 PM
hey that is interesting stuff what I got from a biologist once when talking about moose made sense to me I would bet it goes for most animals this was the theory .... the rut or breeding season apparently has little to do with the weather and way more to do with the diminishing hrs of day light!? Which makes sense to me because with weather patterns being so different year to year it would really effect the young's ability to survive the following winter but what I am getting from you is it appears as though the better part of the calling elk is early sept whether they answer or not they respond to the call somehow?

I am saying I have had success on the 14th of sept....and success in early October, and any where in between.
all bulls were bugling...many coming in to me....others I had to run down!
you never know when it is going to be great...or when it will suck!
My preference is having a cold snap...but I agree...it doesn't mean the start of the rut!
Just makes for better hunts...in my opinion.
I took one bull who just wouldn't stop screaming! from 1 km away, at high noon, and 29 degree Celsius!, and he bugled right in to 20 yrds to me.
but I still prefer it to be cool....I seem to see more, and more action.....usually.

my dates of hunting change due to commitments, other hunting buddies schedule or even if I think that an area will be hit hard by others so then I go early.

But elk can bugle from late august to mid October......but I cant be every where ..all of the time....
It changes... meaning...elk here for several years...then gone one year ( or just not active that I can find )
screaming on this week one year, then little the next year in the same area etc.
it's hunting!...just go!....and don't give up!...it can change in 1 sec...really!
Elk hunting...anytime between opening and 1st week Oct....in my opinion.
And if I knew where the "Hot Cow is standing"....Bet your Ass that's where I would be....just wish I was Telepathic!!!!!! I would save a lot of time and energy!
cheers

J_T
06-25-2014, 07:29 AM

A couple of additional comments. Elk bugle and might respond to a bugle just about anytime. Mid August you can get them to light up. The most active bugling time in the EK in the agricultural areas, is November. Not during the elk season. Agree entirely bulls do not control the rut. There is always that one hot cow. Just have to find her. That's why it's most important to be sexy out there. We find the big bulls are always nearby, but not actively in the herd or herding. They let the small 6pts and 5's manage herd control. While weather does not play a factor, a change in the weather can. As well as moon cycles. Heavy rain and strong wind, keeps activity suppressed, while clear skies and a full moon create more opportunity for elk interaction and chaos.

The most fun.... getting in close to 2 or 3 small groups of 10 cows, each with a couple of bulls, that "think" their going to do the breeding. Light em up and get them going. The result is elk chaos as the groups integrate and bulls work to sort out cows and maintain control. Priceless. Must be a bowhunter.

Sometimes the most activity we see is in the 2 or 3 days before the season opens.

Hunter lady
06-25-2014, 11:26 PM
This is gonna be my first time for Elk so I'm gonna head out early sept to the Tulameen area.

hunter1947
06-26-2014, 06:31 AM
Elk are out there a person can find them any given time of the rut or after the rut its you and only you that can make this happen If anyone heads out for an elk hunt and hunts hard your chances
go up on filling your tag like I said don't matter what time you go all you can do is give it your best and if you don't fill your tag at lest you can say I give it my best on this hunt good luck ..