PDA

View Full Version : September Hunting of Whitetail and Elk: lets hear your tips!!

HarryToolips
06-15-2014, 03:32 PM
So I've got a 5 day trip planned 3rd week of September, I'm thinking the Kooteneys and of course the big-game animals that are open are any WT buck, 6 point bull elk, 4 point muley bucks, and immy moose open then too of course, along with black bear...the best chance of 'filling the freezer' with something in September I find is with a whitey buck, though I know the elk are in the peak of the rut then...So I'll start: I've never harvested an elk before but in September's past I've had success harvesting whitetail bucks up higher elevation on edges of cut-blocks that are probably 3 years old or more...I've found the areas just out of reach and view from the roads had the most action, and of course first and last light have been consistently the best times for me to sit and wait for em..I'm guessing the best game plan for elk is listen for bulls and if I see fresh sign, it wouldn't hurt to give out a bugle and listen for response?? And if I'm lucky that one bugles back, I should try to lure him closer with a cow call??...do you find elk and WT to frequent the same areas in September or would they most likely be in different terrain/elevations?? Let's hear some tips!!

OutWest
06-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Whitetails will be all over the place.

Elk will be very vocal at that time and bulls will be moving around for a good portion of the day. Lots of guys with different styles out there that are successful. While it's fun, I keep calling to a minimum. If they're bugling without you getting them started, why let them know where you're at? When the bulls are going I usually slip into his bedroom and let a call or two go, usually gets them coming in quick.

HarryToolips
06-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Wicked thanks outwest, I've also heard the elk like north facing slopes a little more that time of year?? Makes sense to me....

OutWest
06-15-2014, 06:07 PM
PM coming.

j270wsm
06-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Any specific dates and area in the kootenay's your planning on heading to?

HarryToolips
06-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Any specific dates and area in the kootenay's your planning on heading to?

Sept 23-27, region 4-09

Moose Guide
06-15-2014, 08:53 PM
If a bull has cows and you bugle, it may take it's cows and run away! I often find elk and whitetails in close proximity to each other!