PDA

View Full Version : New prospects

zpruden
06-14-2014, 09:05 PM
As are moving date to Vernon gets closer and closer I am getting more excited to hit the wide open crown lands of BC. I have been doing a lot of reading and searching and im finding a lot of articles that say that animal populations are dropping and there is to much hunting pressure. So I'm asking what the hunters in the area think about the hunting opportunities in region 3, 4, 8 are like and what can a person expect to find?

TARCHER
06-14-2014, 09:16 PM
Hunting opportunities are endless in all hose areas. You will find whatever you see. Get out as much as you can, when you can and enjoy. We are so fortunate to be livin the dream here. Doesn't get any better.

HarryToolips
06-14-2014, 09:26 PM
As are moving date to Vernon gets closer and closer I am getting more excited to hit the wide open crown lands of BC. I have been doing a lot of reading and searching and im finding a lot of articles that say that animal populations are dropping and there is to much hunting pressure. So I'm asking what the hunters in the area think about the hunting opportunities in region 3, 4, 8 are like and what can a person expect to find?

I agree with Tarcher..I used to think that game numbers were not doing so well due to hunting, but many knowledgeable people on this site have taught me through science that the animal pops are mostly a reflection of habitat, so habitat enhancement is what all us outdoor enthusiasts should be striving for..so, those articles are most likely wrong, numbers most likely aren't dropping due to hunting pressure..

sapper
06-14-2014, 09:58 PM
zpruden, Good on you. I almost applied for a position in Vernon a month or so back. We have friends in that area and I've always enjoyed our time there. Enjoy. Where are you moving from?

Argali
06-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Regions 3, 4, and 8 cover the entire SE corner of B.C.! You have some of the best general open season (GOS) opportunities in North America for mixed-bag rifle hunting: muley, WT deer, elk, 2 point moose, sheep, some GOS goat, bear, cougar, wolf and additional draws (LEH) for grizzly, moose, goat, sheep, and anterless.
The only place in North America that rivals SE B.C. for GOS mixed-bag rifle hunting is NE B.C. which is only a day's drive from Vernon. Pretty hard to complain with all that.

zpruden
06-14-2014, 11:33 PM
I'm moving from northern Alberta. The GOS of the area is one of the many reasons we chose Vernon as are new home. I am very egger to get out and explore the region after we are settled in.

I'm used to hunting white tail in an area where you got 10 plus hunters fighting over the same deer, it can get ugly

Liveforthehunt
06-15-2014, 07:02 AM
If you need any info pm me I'll send yea in the right direction. Lived in Vernon all my life and I know reg 8,3 and 4 quite well :).

wrenchhead
06-15-2014, 08:52 AM
Yes I live there too, right in the middle of excellent hunting and fishing. Only thing in bc you can't hunt within a couple hours is stone sheep.

zpruden
06-16-2014, 12:23 AM
Thanks Live to Hunt I will do that, any help in getting started is always welcome and very appreciated.

zpruden
06-16-2014, 03:04 AM
Another question what can a guy expect when it comes to hunting mule deer in around the Vernon area?

wrenchhead
06-16-2014, 06:14 AM
Seems the muley numbers are down in last few years but there is still enough to find a good one with a little leg work.