PDA

View Full Version : is it legal to shoot a bow in my backyard?

buck nash
06-10-2014, 11:03 PM
I know it's probably been answered here before but I tried looking through old threads and couldn't find an answer.

I just got a compound bow and have a pretty big yard. I've got a nice 20 yard shot with my garage as a backstop.
I want to be sure I'm legal cause I have a neighbour who would surely call the cops. ( I made his teenage kids stop shooting their pellet gun after I found two holes in my siding that were at an angle that could only have come from their yard )

I tried looking through richmond city bylaws and couldn't find anything about bows.

If anyone could provide some info or better yet a link to any relevant laws I would be grateful.

Thanks

adriaticum
06-10-2014, 11:11 PM
Read your municipal bylaws
http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/assets/Bylaw_4183_11090924416.pdf

I don't see bows included in definition of firearms so I would say yes.
But read the bylaw in full.

Big Lew
06-11-2014, 06:28 AM
I had the same situation in my municipality...couldn't find the pertinent info I was looking for, so I went to the Hall and spoke to the bylaws officer. He supplied me with a complete copy of their bylaw outlining all the rules and penalties for non compliance (they were very severe). I would suggest you do the same because I'm sure there are bylaw rules addressing the use of archery related equipment in every Lower Mainland municipality. If the penalties are anywhere as stiff as Mission's, and your neighbour records your daily bow practice while you are in non-compliance, you can be hit with fines in the thousands.

buck nash
06-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Yeah I'll check it out city hall. Info doesn't seem to be on the website but I'm sure there is something somewhere.
ignorance is not an acceptable excuse to break the law but you'd think it would be easier to find the laws.

Looking into burnaby lake range as well. But it'd be very convenient shooting in my yard if its kosher.

joeRocket
12-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Hey buck nash, did you ever find out if there was any other bylaw outside of what's earlier above for archery in Richmond, BC?

http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/asse...1090924416.pdf (http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/assets/Bylaw_4183_11090924416.pdf)

Husky7mm
12-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Not sure but you don't want too, I lived in an acreage subdivision and was shooting in my yard with an inlaw and his release let loose while he was drawing and the arrow shot across the neighbour property and landed in the ditch. Facking scary and embarrassing. Kept me awake at night for days thinkig about what could have happened as he had kids, pets, boat, travel trailer.....

Red arch
12-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Not sure but you don't want too, I lived in an acreage subdivision and was shooting in my yard with an inlaw and his release let loose while he was drawing and the arrow shot across the neighbour property and landed in the ditch. Facking scary and embarrassing. Kept me awake at night for days thinkig about what could have happened as he had kids, pets, boat, travel trailer.....

Was he drawing level or does he lower his bow as he draws?

If you keep everything level and on/close to target while drawing that should not be an issue.

Further anchoring something behind the trigger will prevent accidental release unless your d loop is shot.

markomoose
12-19-2014, 10:12 PM
This is why I live in the country.There are still A-holes out here ,just fewer of them!

Big Lew
12-19-2014, 10:54 PM
All I can say is 'you've been warned'....
"I had the same situation in my municipality...couldn't find the pertinent info I was looking for, so I went to the Hall and spoke to the bylaws officer. He supplied me with a complete copy of their bylaw outlining all the rules and penalties for non compliance (they were very severe). I would suggest you do the same because I'm sure there are bylaw rules addressing the use of archery related equipment in every Lower Mainland municipality. If the penalties are anywhere as stiff as Mission's, and your neighbour records your daily bow practice while you are in non-compliance, you can be hit with fines in the thousands"
Add the liability lawsuits etc, and you're courting with financial disaster and possible criminal charges pertaining
to 'knowingly and wilfully endangering'.

Wentrot
12-19-2014, 11:22 PM
I wouldn't do it....a friend of mine could tell a story if he reads this and wishes to share....lol

pin_head
12-20-2014, 07:18 AM
I wouldn't do it....a friend of mine could tell a story if he reads this and wishes to share....lol

That would be me.

Dont let a "safe backstop" make you feel invincible, arrows can do amazing things once they leave your bow. It is very possible to have an off shot that juuuust grazes the top at your target. That arrow could then ricochet straight up, over your house, across the street, and land in your neighbour's yard 100 yards away. You will then look like a massive idiot in your neighbourhood, have to apologize and profess your foolishness, purchase a case of beer for said neighbour, and be forever in debt should he decide to not call the cops on you.

I hate to be a poor sport; but "it happens". Don't let yourself be humbled and embarrassed like me.

Safe to say that some of the silly by-laws are in place for good reason. Like someone else mentioned, the sleep lost over a missing arrow is not worth it.

Cheers,
Brad

RoscoeP
12-20-2014, 06:33 PM
I would not do it, I had a friend let one get away from him and it was later found a long ways away. Find a safe place and bring a target with you.

Big Lew
12-20-2014, 07:52 PM
I used to look around for a safe, legal place to practice, but not only are they
are hard to find, they're usually a long ways away from home which costs a
lot of extra time, fuel, and vehicle wear.
I joined our local Rod and Gun Club which has a safe archery range as well as
a good 3-D range. The annual fee is less then my costs for running around
trying to find a place to practice, saves me way more time, and opens the door
to all manner of benefits offered by such clubs, including BCWF membership....
it's a win win situation for sure.

300rum700
12-21-2014, 07:18 PM
I know its in our city bylaw that you cannot shoot a bow in city boundaries unless it's a specified shooting area.

albravo2
12-21-2014, 07:51 PM
i checked with the RCMP in Squamish. They said it would be fine but they didn't check the by-laws and neither did I.

We weren't shooting at home but we were well within city limits, in an undeveloped subdivision near our house.

I personally don't think it is too risky. Use proper technique and safety and you should be fine.

Ron.C
12-22-2014, 12:26 PM
I would not do it, I had a friend let one get away from him and it was later found a long ways away. Find a safe place and bring a target with you.

yep, know a guy that had his string loop break while drawing on a 15 meter target in his back yard. His arrow made it out of his yard. He was lucky no one was hurt. Was the last arrow he ever shot in his yard.