PDA

View Full Version : Provincial bag limit

rides bike to work
06-10-2014, 08:34 PM
With the invasion of white tail deer into all areas of Bc. Do you think they would ever increase the provincial bag limit to 4. Mabey with one having to be a doe. My dad was at botanee lake and saw two white tail does on the weekend. The bios know that hunters have to keep the numbers in check but the hunters want bucks. I know alot of states have huge bag limits to try to control the white tails. I could eat 4 deer a year no problem.

Husky7mm
06-10-2014, 09:33 PM
4 deer no problem......
I call BS, unless you throw away half the deer. I eat deer all the time, steaks ,jerky, sausage, and grounds. I share it to the my kids too. I really enjoy it and, they are growing to like it. That's about 2 deer or 1 moose , or one elk per yr It's a lot of meat. I can sometimes harvest more but to be conservative I should think of others. My dream season may be a few others worst. We are all connected .

rides bike to work
06-10-2014, 09:45 PM
I have a large family and everyone eats wild meat exclusively so 4 deer wouldn't be a problem for us. Especially white tails. They are quite small. I would never throw away meat. ????

dedapair
06-10-2014, 09:45 PM
I have to agree with rides bike to work. at one time my son and I (single parent) would eat ALL of a moose and two deer in a year. This was

in addition to the geese, ducks, pheasant, grouse etc. that we needed for meat as well as sport. Four deer doesn't seem like too much meat if you consider how much meat you actually get.

Jelvis
06-10-2014, 09:49 PM
small whitetail deboned would give you 30 pounds of meat if that.
4 times 30 = 120 pounds of pure deboned meat from 4 smaller whitetails.
yearlings
if you ate 2 pounds a day for two months, it would be all used up.

walks with deer
06-10-2014, 09:53 PM
4 my wife and I harvested 4 deer last year and we are down to a couple cuts and 2 of the 4 were bigger deer.

Jelvis
06-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Some people enjoy deer meat but most like moose meat better.
I make my deer into thin slices of the best and peperoni the rest
I hunt mules but now with the whitetail bag limits expanding could take one this year.
Some like whitetail meat more than mules because it's finer grained meat.
Personally I like mule deer if it's a younger deer, but I've eaten many bigger bucks meat.
I like smokies and peperoni from stronger bucks. Just cut back straps and loin and burger the rest and freeze for sausage later.
I'd say whitetail could be hunted more this season with the hunting reg's giving up more
chances on whitetail during a 31 day gos in some Mu's. It's a great opportunity for hunting

Fred1
06-10-2014, 10:15 PM
If I were allowed 4 I would get them... Of course I would hold that mulie tag a little tighter ;)

Moose Guide
06-10-2014, 10:20 PM
4 deer no problem......
I call BS, unless you throw away half the deer. I eat deer all the time, steaks ,jerky, sausage, and grounds. I share it to the my kids too. I really enjoy it and, they are growing to like it. That's about 2 deer or 1 moose , or one elk per yr It's a lot of meat. I can sometimes harvest more but to be conservative I should think of others. My dream season may be a few others worst. We are all connected .

1 hind quarter of an elk weighs more than an average whitetail, 1 elk = 4 deer or more!!! That said, my wife and I have 4 kids and last year we went through 1 elk, 5 whitetails and 2 home raised hogs(144 lbs. to the half)!!! This year we only got 1 elk, 3 whitetails and 2 hogs(100 lbs. to the half) so we may run out before sept. 10th!!! Some families eat more than others!!!!!

HarryToolips
06-10-2014, 10:34 PM
With the invasion of white tail deer into all areas of Bc. Do you think they would ever increase the provincial bag limit to 4. Mabey with one having to be a doe. My dad was at botanee lake and saw two white tail does on the weekend. The bios know that hunters have to keep the numbers in check but the hunters want bucks. I know alot of states have huge bag limits to try to control the white tails. I could eat 4 deer a year no problem.
I know a lot of ppl that will take a doe er anything open, including myself if the doe has no fawns..if you read whitetail advantage, their pops in most of the states is way higher than here in BC..cheers

leadpillproductions
06-10-2014, 10:44 PM
We usally finish off a moose,elk and couple deer per yr. Im too cheap to buy store bought meat YUK

6pt_elk_wannabe
06-10-2014, 11:05 PM
In my house we'll usually harvest about 3 deer on averge per year, plus about 100 pounds of mixed salmon and hali fillets, plus we buy some store bought. We've been done the deer for about a month and still have some fish left over. 4 deer could be eaten no problem.

markomoose
06-11-2014, 02:29 AM
So it's official!!The bag limit is now four!! Carry on folks!

OutWest
06-11-2014, 06:33 AM
Whitetails are a very underutilized species. We could increase the provincial limit to 4 and still be overrun with them.

boxhitch
06-11-2014, 06:47 AM
Do you think they would ever increase the provincial bag limit to 4. Mabey with one having to be a doe.Limit is three deer now , one has to be a doe to get there . Adding another WT doe won't have much effect.

hunter1947
06-11-2014, 08:58 AM
I would agree but only in areas that have hi populated numbers of WT deer and only allow one mule deer in areas that have a stable population of Mule Deer.

Wild one
06-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Keep the limit at 3

Only allow 1 mule deer and the other 2 WT BC wide this will shift the hunting pressure.

Jelvis
06-11-2014, 04:08 PM
You can get either sex whitetail in some MU's, two whitetail and both can be either.
In a 31 day gos. In some Reg 3 Mu's, check new reg's just brought in for confirmation of valid dates and valid open antlerless and antlered whitetail deer.
Sounds too good to be true to you, so check for actual written regulations for 2014 hunting season.

rides bike to work
06-11-2014, 09:55 PM
New Jersey regs say 3 bucks and unlimited does 6 months of the year and there is still herds in every yard . More towns in Bc are going to start looking like grand forks sooner than later.

Fisher-Dude
06-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Keep the limit at 3

Only allow 1 mule deer and the other 2 WT BC wide this will shift the hunting pressure.

Mule deer does can only be taken under lucky LEH and you know that mule deer populations can only be affected by excessive doe harvest, so there's no need to go to a 1 deer limit. It's simply a social move that would make someone "feel good," especially guide outfitters that don't want to see you hunting. It wouldn't increase mule deer populations, that's for certain.

WT are vastly under-utilized in BC. Harvest is currently only in the 3 to 5% range, but we could smack 25% of bucks and 13% of does and maintain that harvest every year with a steady population. An American gentleman I shared a plane ride with told me that in his state he has to shoot 5 does before he gets issued a buck tag, and they still can't get their WT under control.

Jelvis
06-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Deer hunters prefer to take an antlered deer, a buck with antlers over an antlerless.
Jp. ( according to ) the main sources of deer hunters of Canucksville.
The saw weeet thing is? During any whitetail deer gos you can take a poke at a whitetail when you see one in a valid area without looking for tine friend a mine.

Bugle M In
06-12-2014, 06:45 PM
a hunting partner of mine can go through a deer in 3 months, entire deer ends up at the butcher, so I assume most of the deer is used.
no meat loss from the buck as bullet passed thru behind shoulders, and another buck was a head shot, so unless the butcher is wasting it....???
2 bucks and he was finished in 6 - 7 months.
I am good with higher possession of whitetails.....now I would just need to get the urge to hunt them.:-D

Jelvis
06-12-2014, 06:54 PM
It's more of an opportunity hunt for whitetail in Kammy, bring a valid whitetail tag or two this year, cuz you just might see some. Whitetail hang together more so you'll see a group.
While hunting moose or mule deer around Kammy take two whitetail tag along just in case you see the white flags waving.
.Whitetail is an opportunity hunt, in Reg 3, you need the motivation and have the opportunity
A couple whitetail and a nice two point mule deer. Throw in an elk or moose.
Should do you for a year, with some major barby Q and specialty meats.

Argali
06-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Talking about hunters preferring antlers, consider Alabama.
Alabama allows only 3 bucks/year.
But ... you can shoot 2 does/day.
Doe seasons vary from 6 days on National Forest, to 70 days on private land, to 3.5 months for bow.
So you could potentially bag more than 100 does/year or even 200 does if you had enough arrows.
Pretty liberal bag limit, but since hunters seem to prefer bucks, they still have tons of deer.

Jelvis
06-12-2014, 07:27 PM
The 30 day gos allows two whitetail any sex, so you could shoot two without counting tine or looking for spikes, this will allow you to shoot faster. With whitetail they move a lot, you only have a split second to get a shot off, so no counting allows this to happen. Unless you catch a glimpse of the deer b4 they see you is optimum, you set up and shoot the one you want, then if possible take another as it stands or comes towards you.
By surprize is best.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
06-12-2014, 07:57 PM
This is a great idea!

The provincial Bag Limit could well be increased and then the Regional Bag Limits could be altered (as they already are) to best manage a local population. Personally I would prefer 5 as the Provincial Bag Limit (not including special areas such as Q.C.I.).

Jelvis
06-12-2014, 09:23 PM
The gos any sex whitetail is all of November in some region 3 mu's check new regulations.
30 days to get those whitetail. During Nov, when the mule deer rut is on.
Plus Nov 1 to 15 for spike/fork bull moose.
This is a great addition to make a triple threat happen.
In snow maybe too. Trackin snow.
Jello

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
06-12-2014, 09:47 PM
The gos any sex whitetail is all of November in some region 3 mu's check new regulations.
30 days to get those whitetail. During Nov, when the mule deer rut is on.
Plus Nov 1 to 15 for spike/fork bull moose.
This is a great addition to make a triple threat happen.
In snow maybe too. Trackin snow.
Jello

You've got it Sir!

What a blessing for Region 3 Hunters. This is definitely a great (tasting) ungulate trifecta for any Rifleman. Bring your gun and eat good out of Region 3 this year!

sawmill
06-13-2014, 08:40 AM
I care less about antlers,however I have been lucky enough to take 5 point bucks for the last 7 years.I mean,hell,if they are just standing there what are you gonna do?
I gave up hunting mulies a while back so I would like that if you don`t take a mulie or even buy a tag you should be able to take 3 whitetail.2 does and a buck.I eat deer,don`t like beef.Got a buck and a big doe last fall and I`m hoarding the last few pieces.I need 3 deer and I don`t want to leave my region to get them.We have assloads of whities here.

Darksith
06-13-2014, 11:29 AM
4 deer no problem......

2 WT deer do not equal 1 moose...not even close. My family would consume 4 WT deer if thats the only meat I put in the freezer...granted I haven't seen a big WT yet, but Im not sure they even exist around here.

Everett
06-13-2014, 12:05 PM
4 deer no problem......

Many a year we go through 4 deer, this year we had a Caribou, half a moose, half and elk and one WT buck and we will be out of meat before Elk season opens. Like a lot of people on this site we don't eat domestic meat.