PDA

View Full Version : When will Fraser River sockeye fishing start?

albravo2
06-10-2014, 10:50 AM
We've all heard about the impending sockeye run and I, for one, am very excited about the upcoming season but I've never fished on the Fraser.

When will the gong show start?

Wentrot
06-10-2014, 11:28 AM
You are only seeing one end of the number forecast-Don't look at the exaggerated number, look at the range. They have a VERY wide estimate and as usual it will be towards the low side.

7.3-72.5-in other words they have no idea.

lip_ripper00
06-10-2014, 11:32 AM
We've all heard about the impending sockeye run and I, for one, am very excited about the upcoming season but I've never fished on the Fraser.

When will the gong show start?

Whenever DFO thinks enough fish have made it to their targeted rivers, Middle of Aug?

Leaseman
06-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Whenever DFO thinks enough fish have made it to their targeted rivers, Middle of Aug?

2-3 week of August usually, then go for 2-3 days to two weeks depending on the run size......

keoke
06-10-2014, 12:17 PM
After special interest groups get there fill. Then we get the scraps.

coach
06-10-2014, 01:09 PM
If numbers are strong and water temps are conducive to fish migration we could see a fishery that starts around the 25th of July and runs well into September. Apparently Alberni was on fire last weekend and the sockeye are bigger than average. Hopefully that's a sign of good ocean conditions and fish survival.

Onesock
06-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Alberni was on fire last weekend?

albravo2
06-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks all, I'll make sure there are some free days in mid August.

adriaticum
06-12-2014, 08:52 PM
looking forward to all the smoking this year.

http://www.milojko.com/fishing/2013-08-08 07.11.43.jpg

albravo2
06-12-2014, 09:05 PM
^ that literally made my mouth water

freonguy
06-13-2014, 05:38 AM
looking forward to all the smoking this year.

http://www.milojko.com/fishing/2013-08-08 07.11.43.jpg

Just by the looks of that product, somebody knows what they are doing - - - - - - nice job - - -

Freonguy

BradB
06-13-2014, 05:57 AM
You are only seeing one end of the number forecast-Don't look at the exaggerated number, look at the range. They have a VERY wide estimate and as usual it will be towards the low side.

7.3-72.5-in other words they have no idea.

I wouldn't say they have no idea, just media doesn't kniw how to read the forecasts. That forecast of 7.5-72.5 mill is for potential returns, not escapement to the spawning grounds. There's going to be commercial fishing taking a goos share, as well as river temps that will be high with low water levels resulting in pre-spawn mortality. There will still be lots of fish, bit I'd be surprised if it surpasses 2010.

Jetboater
06-13-2014, 08:15 PM
the soonest the fraser will will open for sockeye is august 1-5 as early chinook will not surpass a level 1 escapement. if early chinook get to a level 2 escapement we might be able to target a slot limit chinook up until then but sockeye will still not open as they want to let those chinook migrate.. as for counts the 70mill is on a 100% basis of what they predict it will more than likely be at 50% probability.so even then we will see a 30 mill run... if so the fraser valley guides association and other working groups have asked for a more liberal limit of fish. as in 4 sockeye per day as long as that does not shorten the season for us...i hope this makes sense.

Cdn-Redneck
06-16-2014, 09:58 AM
This will tell you when they are hitting the river. Should be some showing by mid July, I remember about 10 or so years ago maybe longer that sockeye opened on August long weekend but the last few openings have been more to mid August

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fos2_Internet/Testfish/rptdtfdparm.cfm?fsub_id=242

Ed George
06-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Chinook salmon are being managed this year as Zone 2 which means that the recreational fishery opens on July 16th in the Fraser River, check the DFO site for limits.

As for sockeye, the other working groups you refer to are the BC Wildlife Federation and the Sport Fishing Advisory Board, I have not recognized any of the Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association members at any of the stakeholder meetings or participating in the SFAB Sockeye Working Group meetings. The only angling guide company I recognized at the Upper Fraser Valley SFAC this spring was Dean Werk of Great River Fishing Adventures. Getting anglers out to the local SFAC meeting is tough at best.

The BCWF has been representing recreational anglers in this province for almost 60 years and has a motion on the books of the SFAB and passed at the Main Board "that in times of abundance that the recreational limit for sockeye in the non-tidal Fraser River be increased to 4 sockeye per day". This motion was reinforced this year by the BCWF at all levels of the SFAC process, both Lower Fraser Valley and Upper Fraser Valley, the South Coast Board and at the 50TH Anniversary Main Board meetings.

Who represents you?