PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle pulled over in Abbotsford with big bear on the roof

caddisguy
06-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Wondering if that was anyone here... would love to hear the story!

mikeboehm
06-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Ya my buddy told me he saw it

recoil
06-08-2014, 10:14 PM
saw it also but was going the opposite direction, the vehicle looked like it had a mountain bike in the trunk also. Two RCMP and one CO...

olympia
06-09-2014, 12:07 AM
now that you mention the bike in the trunk, I remember a fellow on here that stated he likes to hunt on his bike since its so quiet. We will have to wait and see if its one of our guys and I would love to hear the story on this one.

VancouverSkiBum
06-09-2014, 12:31 AM
I can just see a guy riding down the trail with a big bear strapped to his back, getting to his car, tossing the bear on the roof, bike in the trunk, and taking off. LOL. I think it said to specifically NOT do that in the CORE manual. lol.

leadpillproductions
06-09-2014, 12:41 AM
There was a time all I owned was a car , hunted chetwynd before I moved here , shot a big 4x4 mulie straped over the trunk of the cavalier drove into town

Papa Sasquatch
06-09-2014, 05:04 AM
Back in the daze that was fine but now days it has become "insecure loads". DOT could have parked the vehicle there until a proper securement could be made but that would not be possible on the roof of a car so the meat sits in the sunlight... with the fur on ... turning a light shade of green ... then darker ... Have a great day

caddisguy
06-09-2014, 05:45 AM
Sources told me the bear was huge.

Come on mystery hunter! We started the thread for you already and promise with 99% certainty that you will be exempt from critism. Now reveal yourself!! :D

All we ask for is: a) bear story b) transcript of everything police said

Philcott
06-09-2014, 06:49 AM
If you had a roof rack on the car and it was securely tied down would they still be able to call it "insecure loads"?

Many years ago I drove down from Gold Bridge to Vancouver with my first mule deer buck. A nice 2 x 2 strapped to the roof of my '74 Valiant. I was quite tired and after maneuvering through some of the "S" curves that used to be between Squamish and Whistler without realizing I had driven through them I pulled over and took a two hour nap. I often have wondered what people thought driving by me that early morning.

Gone_Fishin_
06-09-2014, 10:45 AM
One of my employees was driving through Aldergrove this weekend and happen to see this guy cruzin in is Honda with a Black Bear on top and a 250cc Motor Bike in the trunk !!

Don't have a photobucket account or time to upload right now, she managed to snap a picture from behind. If someone would like to post it i can email them the picture.

Thanks,

markomoose
06-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Thats cool.I used to shove dead critters into the back of my Volkswagon Rabbit!

Gone_Fishin_
06-09-2014, 01:09 PM
hopefully pic coming up soon. I emailed it to a fellow member on the site.

BigfishCanada
06-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Good wo/man whoever you are. My boy would have given the COOL!!!!!!

caddisguy
06-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Here's a picture, compliments of Gone_Fishin. Can we get confirmation that this was the same guy that got pulled over? I am also pretty sure I saw this car whipping down a dirt road and beating me to a little spur road we were going to check out on Saturday May 31st. If being too awesome is a crime, I say guilty as charged.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/928_zpsc1774a21.jpeg

BuckNaked
06-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Here's a picture, compliments of Gone_Fishin. Can we get confirmation that this was the same guy that got pulled over? I am also pretty sure I saw this car whipping down a dirt road and beating me to a little spur road we were going to check out on Saturday May 31st. If being too awesome is a crime, I say guilty as charged.

So much awesome here!

charr
06-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Lol... Wow

Wentrot
06-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Make do with what ya got lol

adriaticum
06-09-2014, 03:56 PM

Amen.
-------

swampthing
06-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Too funny. You coastal guys are crazy

caddisguy
06-09-2014, 04:16 PM

That might be an understatement. I'd say mystery hunter is actually thriving. I wish we'd hear more. I would pay to hear the story a) where did you go b) how did you get bear from bike to car? c) top 3 notable reactions from other drivers d) complete transcript of what happened when pulled over e) did you notice any difference in handling or RPM? f) can I have your autograph?

limit time
06-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Thats awesome!

Cdn-Redneck
06-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Good stuff my dad tells a story about having a moose in the back seat and a motorcycle in the trunk of a 56 chev and drove back from Burns Lake to surrey like that.

jjsachmoe
06-09-2014, 04:29 PM
I saw two young men with a medium sized black bear on the roof of their car out on the Britton/Lawless FSR by Toulameen on Sunday. I tried to get them to stop as they hadn't opened it up at all and it was very hot out. That meat would be ruined by the time they got down there in that heat. And by the picture it's the same guys.

Steeleco
06-09-2014, 04:32 PM

Maybe so, but would you want to eat that once you got it home. Not me!!

Wentrot
06-09-2014, 04:41 PM

I stopped questioning what people eat after seeing the "things" people bring home from the Vedder river in the fall :shock:

olympia
06-09-2014, 04:48 PM
just a side question, when I had dirt bikes I always transported them standing up thinking if I laid it down, all the fluids would go where they are not supposed to, I wonder if he drained his tank before throwing it in the trunk. We can officially call this guy a "BOSS". That there is the ultimate "make do with what you got" kinda guy. But like others have said he could have stored his meat better, at least gut it and stick ice bags in the cavity or something.

Lastcar
06-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Maybe they gutted it and placed the cavity over the open sunroof and ran the air condition on high all the way home. I mean what could go wrong really?

jjsachmoe
06-09-2014, 05:09 PM
there was still plenty of snow on the pass going to the coq summit they could have filled it up there. It was my plan if I had shot one up there on Sunday

Pioneerman
06-09-2014, 05:30 PM

Why not ? Out in open same as back of truck, except more air flow around animal as all wind blows over it

walks with deer
06-09-2014, 06:04 PM
Drove down the sea to sky with one on the roof of a jeep got free kfc when the girl at the window noticed.

It was not me but when I lived in kamloops I had no truck for deer opener and put a 4 point arrow kill and a bb in a hyundi.

Good times strrange looks.
Had to jump on the hatch to get the 4point in lol.

walks with deer
06-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Ps the back of my white truck is covered in blood from yesterday.

Good on buddy for getting the job done.
However I hope he cleaned it before transport.

Papa Sasquatch
06-09-2014, 06:55 PM
If you had a roof rack on the car and it was securely tied down would they still be able to call it "insecure loads"?
I am not a DOT but I would guess that the rating of the roof-rack and the roof it self would be subject to question the capacity of holding a BB on it. If the operator was to slam an emergency hard braking application would the bear abandon the vehicle? Either way that is not a good scenario so I look forward to hear that story in a context that would make sense and make me re-think my current position! PLEASE MYSTERY DRIVER TALK TO US!

russm
06-09-2014, 06:55 PM
just a side question, when I had dirt bikes I always transported them standing up thinking if I laid it down, all the fluids would go where they are not supposed to, I wonder if he drained his tank before throwing it in the trunk. We can officially call this guy a "BOSS". That there is the ultimate "make do with what you got" kinda guy. But like others have said he could have stored his meat better, at least gut it and stick ice bags in the cavity or something.

I lai one of my old ones on outs side in van to get it to a shop to have the stator done when we got the stator side of the case open there was oil that came from the other side of the case, so to answer your question, yes oil will get where you don't want it.

russm
06-09-2014, 06:58 PM

It looks like it's riding pretty low lol probably had some issues with bottoming out haha

BearSupreme
06-09-2014, 09:39 PM
haha I hope some people from the "Save BC bears" group sees this picture, priceless

Foxtail
06-09-2014, 10:08 PM
He can come hunting with me anytime.

VancouverSkiBum
06-09-2014, 10:10 PM
Make due with what you got, indeed. Good for him, but I would of skinned and quartered it before transport. looks like he may of not been expecting to get a bear...?

Spy
06-09-2014, 10:23 PM
Awesome :-) :-) :-)

r106
06-09-2014, 10:44 PM
So much awesome here!

No kidding. The bear on the roof is cool but stuffing a dirtbike in the trunk makes it awesome. Lol.

andrewscag
06-10-2014, 10:13 AM
I packed one into my Mazda hatchback last year with the mtn bike on a trailer rack since my truck was down. Not me this year.

Well played, sir, though I'd have probably stopped for a tarp to put it on the back seat out of the sun. Maybe he just wanted a rug though.

Deer_Slayer
06-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Great! More ammunition for the antis to attack bear hunting. Not a smart move.

recoil
06-10-2014, 10:20 AM
That definitely looks like the vehicle I saw pulled over, although I was driving 100kph on the opposite side of the highway so I didn't get a really good look. It was around 1:30pm near sumas exit.

huff
06-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Awesome... people worried about that set up on the road, should have a closer look at some of the transport trucks driving on the roads... they have a lot of ingenious ways of bypassing TC I've heard.

bc sportsman
06-10-2014, 12:53 PM
I'm with Deerslayer here...more ammo for the Antis...this does us no service re reputation and support from the public. Our hunting privileges are not entrenched in stone. Public support and politicians seeking reelection by following the 'trend' is something we all need to keep in mind re our actions...even if our actions are not illegal.

Tyler660
06-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Hahaha that's my dad on the Harley

caddisguy
06-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Hahaha that's my dad on the Harley

Small world... even smaller hunting community! HBC seems to have eyes everywhere. We need our own radio frequency or something... maybe start a secret society.

Gateholio
06-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Pretty impressive to go get your meat in that little car! :)

06-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Not Everyone has a Pick-up truck, oh well ya do as ya can. Congrats to the hunter.

Reminds me of Buddy butting a HUGE 4x4 Mulie on his Volkswagon Bettle. Front hooves tied to the front bumper, head over the windshield, rear legs tied to the back bumper. Ya do what cha can. I got pulled over with a 6x6 Bull Elk on the way home from my Taxidermist ....... passes a cops day quicker.

Good on him for getting out.

Dude on the Harley is rubber neckin big time ....... wonder if he crashed LOL

Wentrot
06-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Not Everyone has a Pick-up truck, oh well ya do as ya can. Congrats to the hunter.

Reminds me of Buddy butting a HUGE 4x4 Mulie on his Volkswagon Bettle. Front hooves tied to the front bumper, head over the windshield, rear legs tied to the back bumper. Ya do what cha can. I got pulled over with a 6x6 Bull Elk on the way home from my Taxidermist ....... passes a cops day quicker.

Good on him for getting out.

Dude on the Harley is rubber neckin big time ....... wonder if he crashed LOL

The fella on the motorcycle is actually looking straight ahead lol

Kami
06-10-2014, 04:54 PM
I would not have been 1 bit surprised if a nature loving, anit-gun mother called the cops and the media on this. I can see it now on Global news. 5 year old girl was traumatized and crying on the news as cops and CEO are pulling the driver out of the car. Mom is irate and pleading that something needs to be done to stop this type of barbaric behaviour. Child is crying, asking why did the honey bear have to die? It would make great news for Global that millions would be talking about. It would probably end up on a main stream daytime TV talk show in the US. Not to mention twitter and Facebook. This is not a far fetched scenario. Could easily have happened. Don't get me wrong. I hunt and get it, but stunts like this is setting us hunters all up for doom and gloom in the future. I like to think we should all hunt and function just under the radar. We get to keep doing what we do and nobody notices. Unfortunately, that's the reality today.

x0ra
06-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Great! More ammunition for the antis to attack bear hunting. Not a smart move.
So what ? we should all hide ?

Or do we have to buy expensive pickup to transport both the bike and the freshly killed game ?

Wentrot
06-10-2014, 05:05 PM
I would not have been 1 bit surprised if a nature loving, anit-gun mother called the cops and the media on this. I can see it now on Global news. 5 year old girl was traumatized and crying on the news as cops and CEO are pulling the driver out of the car. Mom is irate and pleading that something needs to be done to stop this type of barbaric behaviour. Child is crying, asking why did the honey bear have to die? It would make great news for Global that millions would be talking about. It would probably end up on a main stream daytime TV talk show in the US. Not to mention twitter and Facebook. This is not a far fetched scenario. Could easily have happened. Don't get me wrong. I hunt and get it, but stunts like this is setting us hunters all up for doom and gloom in the future. I like to think we should all hunt and function just under the radar. We get to keep doing what we do and nobody notices. Unfortunately, that's the reality today.

"Stunts like this"? What the hell are you on about? The guy doesn't have a truck and used what he had. The people thinking this is wrong and it should have been hidden need to give their head a shake. If we all start trying to block stuff like this from the eyes of the antis it will be so much worse when they do actually see a dead bear. Let em be displayed and it will eventually become "normal"

I think it probably should have at least been skinned due to the heat but for all I know this was the guys first hunt/animal taken and did what he thought was best.

x0ra
06-10-2014, 05:06 PM
If we have to hide, we have already lost. We might as well stand our ground.

Not many generation ago, chicken and rabbits were slaughtered in the morning to be served in the evening meal, sad to see the world getting pussyfied that fast. Maybe it's time to teach folks that meat does not come wrapped Styrofoam...

caddisguy
06-10-2014, 05:47 PM

I don't think it's that big of deal. Whether a kid sees a bear on a roof or bambis uncle in the back of a truck, if said child cried to mom, then it's time for mom to explain where food come from. Any less is simply bad parenting. If a hunter doesn't have a big truck to conceal big game, I'd rather he hunt than stay home in shame worrying what antis think. They can't really exploit and propagandize that sort of thing. Worst case scenario a few dozen folks saw it and thought "dang cool, imma get me a license" and the bush gets a little more crowded. Keeping enough people interested in hunting keeps the antis backed in the corner.

walks with deer
06-10-2014, 06:00 PM
October long weekend is like a parade of antlers sticking out of trucks.

We should all take every rack and hide we own tie them to are truck and drive down granville street at once.

wildcatter
06-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Once brought a young mulie back from the Yalakom in my old Renault 15.
Couple guys came up in the morning in a 4x4 and asked if the car was a 4 wheel drive, they couldn't believe I drove up there:)

Gateholio
06-10-2014, 09:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/MarvB/huntingelk.jpg

odie1830
06-10-2014, 09:55 PM
We as hunters have the right to hunt ! He did what he could to get his bear back home. Why in the world does it matter what others think? There will always be anti's no matter what we do! Congrats to him or her! Yes he could have skinned it ,quartered but thats his business!. We must not try to hide what is completely 100% legal.

SHACK
06-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Just plain awsome. Good on him/her for getting it done.

Dirty30-30
06-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Great Picture Gatehouse! I'd be a little worried about that tiny cars roof caving in! lol

itsy bitsy xj
06-10-2014, 10:48 PM

Very disappointing that you as a hunter feel that way. We need to be loud and pround of what we do!!!! (just the hunting)

boxhitch
06-11-2014, 07:00 AM
Or better yet , the child gets home and asks the questions what and why and the parent gives a lesson on hunting or it goes to school and becomes a class discussion. Kids may come away thinking "cool , I want to do that ".

Wild one
06-11-2014, 07:17 AM
I only see a hunter doing what they needed to do to get out and hunt.

Hiding everything so anti's don't make a stink does not help hunters. I have had many conversations with those who were against hunting do to lacking knowledge about it. These are the people that once they are exposed to it and explained to why we choose to hunt, the respect hunters have for the animals and the regulations involved often stop being anti. Many of these people will not run out and start hunting but will instead respect why hunters do as we do.

Hiding in the shadows lets miss information and anti propaganda run wild in the minds of those not educated about it.

Yes there is a portion that will always be against hunting as they will never support the killing of wild animals but hiding just helps those sitting on the fence to lean more towards the anti side

k-dawg
06-11-2014, 07:52 AM
This is great! I'm a guy on a budget and don't have a 4x4... This is inspiring. I too can get out this fall and try for the first time.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Or better yet , the child gets home and asks the questions what and why and the parent gives a lesson on hunting or it goes to school and becomes a class discussion. Kids may come away thinking "cool , I want to do that ".

Absolutely. My daughter has had the kids lining up at school to try her bear pepperoni. :-D
So far 100% well received...both the pepperoni and the fact that she shot it herself.
But of course, this isn't the lower wasteland.

SSS

Surrey Boy
06-11-2014, 09:40 AM
If we have to hide, we have already lost. We might as well stand our ground.

Not many generation ago, chicken and rabbits were slaughtered in the morning to be served in the evening meal, sad to see the world getting pussyfied that fast. Maybe it's time to teach folks that meat does not come wrapped Styrofoam...

Ain't it the truth.

Good to see you on this site, btw.

Singleshotneeded
06-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Lol, well at one point I did bring a buck home on a tarp in the trunk of a Grand Am...so give'er...:-)

Colinofthewoods
06-11-2014, 12:19 PM
I am not in favour of guys that flaunt their kill for the shock value of non hunters, like stopping at the corner store when your are covered in blood on the way home, or leaving the head sticking out of your pickup for no reason.

I dont think the guy with the bear is flaunting, just a guy getting his bear home. We dont have to hide it, but some people who might not have a problem with hunting still dont like seeing dead animals. No point leaving a bad impression if you dont have to.

Kami
06-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Folks I am not saying in my post that I feel this way. I am talking about uneducated masses that think we should leave the poor bears alone. And let the moose get slaughtered by the wolves. It's all nature they say. If you folks don't understand the damage caused to the hunting community by driving with a harvested bear on your car roof, that's unfortunate. It's this short sighted thinking, that we should do this, screw all them idiots, they are dumb that will not help the hunting community. Be aware that your actions and decisions often represent hunters everywhere. Do you not agree that the media spins out whatever story they like? True or not? Whatever draws attention sells more commercials and makes them profit. I am not saying I feel this way about the bear incident. I am simply pointing out that there are many who do. A bullish head in the sand approach to the awareness of it is not helping. Ya the guy did waht he did, dealing with what he got. Making s**t happen and getting it done. That's great but be aware of the perception you create. This is not helping IMHO.

Gateholio
06-11-2014, 02:00 PM

leadpillproductions
06-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Now that's awesome . some people think everyone has a truck . Use what you got and go hunting.Looks like the windshield all taped up lol

Gateholio
06-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Folks I am not saying in my post that I feel this way. I am talking about uneducated masses that think we should leave the poor bears alone. And let the moose get slaughtered by the wolves. It's all nature they say. If you folks don't understand the damage caused to the hunting community by driving with a harvested bear on your car roof, that's unfortunate. It's this short sighted thinking, that we should do this, screw all them idiots, they are dumb that will not help the hunting community. Be aware that your actions and decisions often represent hunters everywhere. Do you not agree that the media spins out whatever story they like? True or not? Whatever draws attention sells more commercials and makes them profit. I am not saying I feel this way about the bear incident. I am simply pointing out that there are many who do. A bullish head in the sand approach to the awareness of it is not helping. Ya the guy did waht he did, dealing with what he got. Making s**t happen and getting it done. That's great but be aware of the perception you create. This is not helping IMHO.

The problem with the "be discrete" way of operating is that it has failed us miserably. At one time, it was common for hunters to transport animals on roof racks and rifles in back window gun racks. They would cut up their meat in the carport in full view of the neighbors. People were used to it, thought it was interesting and just a normal part of life. Their neighbor Joe was a hunter, and he was a nice guy, so hunters were probably nice guys in general. At least there was no great animosity directed towards hunters.

Then there were a few people that decided they didn't like hunting or guns, and hunters panicked. They decided the best way to combat these new anti hunters was to go underground. "Be discrete" they were told. "Be discrete, nobody will know about our dirty little secret and they will leave our hunting and our guns alone"

Of course that backfired completely. Hunters and guns were now hidden away, so people didn't learn about these topics from their neighbor Joe, they learned it from Hollywood and the various fanatics that were very vocal in media. They learned that guns were bad, and hunters were sadistic thrill killers that only killed to mount heads on the wall.

Hunters would have been far better off to launch a campaign a pro hunting campaign that focused on the positive benefits of hunting, while reminding their fellow hunters that there are indeed eyes upon them, so think about what they are doing. Get rid of the bloody severed heads mounted on the grill or other stuff that is more about shock than respect. Don't hide your activities, don't hide your carcass, just don't flaunt it. Don't hide your guns, just use them responsibly.

I see nothing at all wrong with the transport of a dead animal on a roof rack, if that is your option. I do see something wrong with cutting a head off, mounting it to your bumper and parading through town while it's tongue hangs out and blood drips onto the street.

Through history, no marginalized group has ever gained respect and success by hiding. Look at natives, blacks and homosexuals as examples. They got nothing until they made themselves VISIBLE.

Wentrot
06-11-2014, 02:52 PM
The problem with the "be discrete" way of operating is that it has failed us miserably. At one time, it was common for hunters to transport animals on roof racks and rifles in back window gun racks. They would cut up their meat in the carport in full view of the neighbors. People were used to it, thought it was interesting and just a normal part of life. Their neighbor Joe was a hunter, and he was a nice guy, so hunters were probably nice guys in general. At least there was no great animosity directed towards hunters.

Then there were a few people that decided they didn't like hunting or guns, and hunters panicked. They decided the best way to combat these new anti hunters was to go underground. "Be discrete" they were told. "Be discrete, nobody will know about our dirty little secret and they will leave our hunting and our guns alone"

Of course that backfired completely. Hunters and guns were now hidden away, so people didn't learn about these topics from their neighbor Joe, they learned it from Hollywood and the various fanatics that were very vocal in media. They learned that guns were bad, and hunters were sadistic thrill killers that only killed to mount heads on the wall.

Hunters would have been far better off to launch a campaign a pro hunting campaign that focused on the positive benefits of hunting, while reminding their fellow hunters that there are indeed eyes upon them, so think about what they are doing. Get rid of the bloody severed heads mounted on the grill or other stuff that is more about shock than respect. Don't hide your activities, don't hide your carcass, just don't flaunt it. Don't hide your guns, just use them responsibly.

I see nothing at all wrong with the transport of a dead animal on a roof rack, if that is your option. I do see something wrong with cutting a head off, mounting it to your bumper and parading through town while it's tongue hangs out and blood drips onto the street.

Through history, no marginalized group has ever gained respect and success by hiding. Look at natives, blacks and homosexuals as examples. They got nothing until they made themselves VISIBLE.

Very wise words.

257stew
06-11-2014, 03:42 PM
On the fence on this one, agree s/he did nothing wrong but the world is full of idiots and Vancouver has the bulk of B.C's idiots. Even us hunters are split on this. What s/he did will get the anti's going. I understand that not everybody has a pick-up but we should all be able to buy a tarp. Simple tarp over the bear making it a little less noticeable will go a long way and generate more positive public views. There are more positive and better ways for us hunters to be 'visible' and generate a healthy/positive way for us to be viewed.

Cheers 257Stew

Tytalus
06-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Great pics. I live in Abbotsford and didn't hear about this.

landphil
06-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Gatehouse, great post. I agree completely.

Steve W
06-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Used a couple of different searches and didn't find any reference to anti-hunter sentiment related to this. Only info on this is on HuntBC. Tempest in a teapot maybe?

gunsight
06-11-2014, 07:48 PM
he should of had a sign saying "i got him before he got you're child ".

KyleB
06-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Good job that's awesome!! Use what ya got!

Eat well my friend! Nothing wrong with feeding your family good healthy organic meat! If they only new how much meat you got for 21$

Deeboe
06-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Too funny. You coastal guys are crazy

Amen Brother

BC-Kiwi
06-12-2014, 09:25 AM
I think a lot of people are jumping on Kami for the wrong reason. He hasn't said we shouldn't be proud of hunting, he has said we need to consider the perception of those that don't agree with what we do but still have a vote that is listened to by the lawmakers. It is the same with guns, as one of the Silvercore crew explains during their courses "can I strap my 50 CAL in the passenger seat and drive to wear I am going, absolutely, is it legal ? hell yes, am I likely to cause an incident and there be ramifications for it... ABSOLUTELY".

I grew up hunting, have always advocated hunting but at the same time I always advocate common sense.

Does it make sense to provide photos such as this that can be used in a negative context further supporting those that petition for bans on hunting?

For those that say he has a car therefore this is what he must do. I don't agree at all. He has a car that can tow a small light trailer that would allow him to place his dirtbike and bear in such a fashion that it is safe, doesn't attract negative attention and people would still be able to say, "he took his car hunting".

I congratulate him (or her) on their desire to hunt, I think they need to reconsider their transport options.

Just my 2 cents

Stone Sheep Steve
06-12-2014, 09:35 AM
For those that say he has a car therefore this is what he must do. I don't agree at all. He has a car that can tow a small light trailer that would allow him to place his dirtbike and bear in such a fashion that it is safe, doesn't attract negative attention and people would still be able to say, "he took his car hunting".

I congratulate him (or her) on their desire to hunt, I think they need to reconsider their transport options.

Just my 2 cents

Maybe buying a trailer is in his/her future plans but isn't quite financially possible yet. Might be a student? Might be a new hunter? Lots of unknowns.
Looking at this picture tells me he's making do with what he has.
Either way he's getting out hunting and that's what's important.

SSS

x0ra
06-12-2014, 09:57 AM
Maybe buying a trailer is in his/her future plans but isn't quite financially possible yet. Might be a student? Might be a new hunter? Lots of unknowns.
Looking at this picture tells me he's making do with what he has.
Either way he's getting out hunting and that's what's important.
Everybody does not have the luxury of a detached home and the 35 year mortgage going with it to store all the gear your are talking about...

Scotty-B
06-12-2014, 11:10 AM
I think a lot of people are jumping on Kami for the wrong reason. He hasn't said we shouldn't be proud of hunting, he has said we need to consider the perception of those that don't agree with what we do but still have a vote that is listened to by the lawmakers. It is the same with guns, as one of the Silvercore crew explains during their courses "can I strap my 50 CAL in the passenger seat and drive to wear I am going, absolutely, is it legal ? hell yes, am I likely to cause an incident and there be ramifications for it... ABSOLUTELY".

I grew up hunting, have always advocated hunting but at the same time I always advocate common sense.

Does it make sense to provide photos such as this that can be used in a negative context further supporting those that petition for bans on hunting?

Just my 2 cents

I agree 100%. If a trailer or something like that is not realistic for this hunters situation, possibly, something like a simple old bed sheet is more than enough to deflect negative public impression. Without hiding what we do or how we do it, there is a tactful way to approach anything we do. There are those anti's out there who will use anything to put a negative spin on all of it, but at the same time, taking that extra step might help the prevention of creating new anti's.

It seems to me, this person had every intention of of harvesting a bear before he left home. He also probably had a game plan for what he would do with it if he was successful. Good for him. I sincerely comment his efforts and accomplishments. I just say, consider the bigger picture.

Elkhound
06-12-2014, 12:26 PM
We as hunters and firearms owners need to quit hiding. The public needs to know there are responsible ones out there.

My kids are in the lower mainland and their classmates get to hear about my daughter hunting and trying bear jerky and stuff like that. The responses from the kids have been very positive

Danicus
06-12-2014, 02:25 PM
As someone who works in Vancouver with a CRAPLOAD of Yaletowners, Gastowners and Downtowners, hiding hunting is not doing the tradition any favours at all. I'm a proud hunter and I have several antis that are extremely interested in what I do, why I do it, and what role i believe it plays in my overall passion for the environment and wildlife conservation. I've changed their mind - even if it's not making them a hunter/fisher, it's showing them that I care deeply about the outdoors and every living thing out there, and that we're more alike than they realized. Don't let your silence solidify their misguided opinion... they lack perspective and they don't get it by us 'hiding' what we do from them.

Take some time, know your facts and do NOT be shy about advocating for hunting. We're the ultimate advocates for "free range" in that we actually go out there and earn it by our own hand. I've shared fish/game meats at the office, explained the ethics that hunters need (and WANT) to adhere to (including responsible gun use) and the role we play in conservation. I ask them how many garbage bags of someone else's garbage they've carried out of the bush lately, how many people they've helped manage fish/game stocks by educating others about fish/game's role in the environment and what we can do to keep it healthy.

The sad reality is the quieter we are about responsible hunting and it's associated benefits, the more the antis hear about the ass-hats that make the news for doing everything wrong. You will never convince everyone, but you have to make the effort in the lower wasteland... you'd be surprised how many admire what we do and are interested in trying it themselves.

tundra
06-12-2014, 04:27 PM
That is awesome!!!!! It just goes to show you that when there is a will there is a way. For all of you hunters that feel this is wrong because of the anti's, the kids or the general public just turn the news on tonight and tell me what you see is better for everyone to see. NOT!!! If killing people and promoting it by putting it all over the news, the papers and the internet is okay then tell me exactly what is wrong with this????? Nothing because it does not even compare to the atrocities that are happening in this F**** up world.

Mik
06-12-2014, 04:30 PM
I'm with Deerslayer here...more ammo for the Antis...this does us no service re reputation and support from the public. Our hunting privileges are not entrenched in stone. Public support and politicians seeking reelection by following the 'trend' is something we all need to keep in mind re our actions...even if our actions are not illegal.

dont give in to "Politically Correctness" ...... Is all I got to say !

Phreddy
06-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Amen to that Wentrot.

Kami
06-12-2014, 09:08 PM
I hear some good points on both sides here. Especially the point made about groups hiding and staying low key not getting respected by society. That's a great point. Fact is that our Government holds office by my a majority vote. Of that vote, only about 50% of the eligible voters in BC actually get out there and participate. I wonder of that 50% of the eligible population who voted, actually hunt or support hunting in BC? My understanding is approximately 97,000 hunting licenses were purchased in BC in 2014. According to the stats, BC in 2011 had 4.4 million people living here. Based on 4.4M people, works out that about 2.2% of all people in BC buy a hunting license, assuming to actively hunt. Those are some pretty low numbers of hunters.

Just think about that when you are out there hunting, shooting, packing your gun around or your harvested carcass. Think about what a minority group we are. Think about how our laws are created by elected officials who get their power and pensions by winning a majority vote. Yes I agree we have every right to hunt and be proud of what we do. I agree that many folks are misguided and whacked. Yes I agree many need to be educated so they do understand. We can lead by setting examples, and being conscious of what we do when we represent hunters everywhere. Educate them with facts and the truth. Slapping them in the face with harvested bear may be legal, and your right, but surely there are better ways to educate the 97.8% of BC who don't hunt.

Scotty-B
06-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Awesome. I totally agree.

Goose
06-12-2014, 10:30 PM
As someone who works in Vancouver with a CRAPLOAD of Yaletowners, Gastowners and Downtowners, hiding hunting is not doing the tradition any favours at all. I'm a proud hunter and I have several antis that are extremely interested in what I do, why I do it, and what role i believe it plays in my overall passion for the environment and wildlife conservation. I've changed their mind - even if it's not making them a hunter/fisher, it's showing them that I care deeply about the outdoors and every living thing out there, and that we're more alike than they realized. Don't let your silence solidify their misguided opinion... they lack perspective and they don't get it by us 'hiding' what we do from them.

Take some time, know your facts and do NOT be shy about advocating for hunting. We're the ultimate advocates for "free range" in that we actually go out there and earn it by our own hand. I've shared fish/game meats at the office, explained the ethics that hunters need (and WANT) to adhere to (including responsible gun use) and the role we play in conservation. I ask them how many garbage bags of someone else's garbage they've carried out of the bush lately, how many people they've helped manage fish/game stocks by educating others about fish/game's role in the environment and what we can do to keep it healthy.

The sad reality is the quieter we are about responsible hunting and it's associated benefits, the more the antis hear about the ass-hats that make the news for doing everything wrong. You will never convince everyone, but you have to make the effort in the lower wasteland... you'd be surprised how many admire what we do and are interested in trying it themselves.

Well said!! Good on ya!! Its tough to explain to people something they dont want to believe in

Phreddy
06-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Interestingly the latest news about how the cattle were treated in Chilliwack earlier this week has probably done more for our sport than anything. We don't kick, punch, or whip with chains the critters we hunt. One minute they are standing there without a care in the world, the next they are lying there dead. No torture or mistreatment, just a nice freezer full of meat. I think I'll keep doing my own meat harvesting. Much more humane all around.

rbest
06-13-2014, 09:14 AM

As most of us think this pic is awesome, myself included! Most non-hunters would not agree with a dead bear driving around in plain view! Good on them for getting it done, but maybe have that bad boy hiding under a tarp when driving through town haha

dino
06-13-2014, 09:21 AM
First of all I have no issues with the bear on the roof. But Something just doesn't add up in that pic. Ive done alot of riding in my day and Ive never seen anyone transport a bike that way. No one who rides would transport this way, a hitch bike mount is cheap to buy and install. If we new why the bike was transported that way some might have a different perspective on why the bear is on the roof.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-13-2014, 09:25 AM
First of all I have no issues with the bear on the roof. But Something just doesn't add up in that pic. Ive done alot of riding in my day and Ive never seen anyone transport a bike that way. No one who rides would transport this way, a hitch bike mount is cheap to buy and install. If we new why the bike was transported that way some might have a different perspective on why the bear is on the roof.

Motorbike hitch mounts run at least $150. As I said before maybe he's a student or someone who's not far into their careeer where funds are very tight?

SSS

dino
06-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Motorbike hitch mounts run at least $150. As I said before maybe he's a student or someone who's not far into their careeer where funds are very tight?

SSS

This is out of character for me to make any kind of judgement based on absolutely no facts but Im bored.lol. I could easily pick your theory apart but I digress. All I can say is just zoom in on the pic and your theory becomes weaker. Based on probabilities and certain un deniable facts, your answer is a very low % probability. It is still possible yes, probable no. I love the pic either way.

Drillbit
06-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Maybe the leverage of the bike on a hitch mount makes it too low at the back and it rubs, making him load it like that to move some of the weight ahead.

Drillbit
06-13-2014, 10:06 AM

SSS

Or a teacher! lol

Rackem
06-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Love the pic, hunters should not hide their kills, but maybe make them a little less gory and presentable, I didn't see blood dripping down or anything, but not a close up pic...displaying the kill on the way home presents educational opportunities, like when we hung our Moose in the garage in Cloverdale, all the neighborhood would show up to watch us butcher it and put it in the freezer, we fired up the barbeque and invited them to try it, and guess what? Most loved it and were forever changed in their opinions.

russm
06-13-2014, 02:24 PM

I know a few people that've put a small bike in the trunk, myself included you just don't see it very often, they might not have gotten pulled over if they hadve stuffed the bear into the luggage carrier though haha

Gateholio
06-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Love the pic, hunters should not hide their kills, but maybe make them a little less gory and presentable, I didn't see blood dripping down or anything, but not a close up pic...displaying the kill on the way home presents educational opportunities, like when we hung our Moose in the garage in Cloverdale, all the neighborhood would show up to watch us butcher it and put it in the freezer, we fired up the barbeque and invited them to try it, and guess what? Most loved it and were forever changed in their opinions.

Exactly correct.

When people see stuff like this, it promotes discussion. I have "educated" dozens of people after they have seen just this sort of thing- a dead animal on a vehicle or pictures of a dead animal.

walks with deer
04-26-2020, 04:27 PM
classic thread

LuckyHorseshoe
04-26-2020, 07:58 PM
I haven’t read the whole thread, but I can guess a similar story. ... once was on a great trip to cache creek, three nice 4 outs in one day. We had high fives and congrats to hope. Then they abruptly turned into the middle finger and profanities for the rest of the road home to Abby. Welcome to the province of The lower mainland,...

finngun
04-26-2020, 09:23 PM
Hey poor me,,toyota echo is my hunting truck,,,more than ones deer is moved out of the bush with my echo..no prblem at least with smaller deer. BTW ..folks worryabout quality that pooh bear meat..after trip top of the car ..they dont legally,have to eat meat,,if dont want to..just take it home after it is up to them..maybe only hide is needed..or meat for dogs..whatever..f..g

MRP
04-27-2020, 06:48 AM
saw it also but was going the opposite direction, the vehicle looked like it had a mountain bike in the trunk also. Two RCMP and one CO...
Unless I missed in the thread, I'd like to know how he made out with the cops and co. I see nothing wrong with useing what u got to get the job done.

The Hermit
04-27-2020, 10:41 AM
What I want to know is how the hell did he get it up on the roof?? And that elk pic totally awesome!

wideopenthrottle
04-27-2020, 10:51 AM
My guess is: he got it while on his bike and called the only guy he knew with a car to help him get it out...heheheh

GEF
04-27-2020, 09:49 PM
What was the guy thinking ! Should have propped the bear up in the passenger seat with his paw out the window and a cigar in his mouth .

REMINGTON JIM
04-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Maybe they gutted it and placed the cavity over the open sunroof and ran the air condition on high all the way home. I mean what could go wrong really?

Hell that's a great idea for my next warm weather deer ! :biggrin: RJ

Mosin
04-27-2020, 10:16 PM
I haven’t read the whole thread, but I can guess a similar story. ... once was on a great trip to cache creek, three nice 4 outs in one day. We had high fives and congrats to hope. Then they abruptly turned into the middle finger and profanities for the rest of the road home to Abby. Welcome to the province of The lower mainland,...

That was me bro, I was trying to tell you with my middle finger all I got was a spike and I was swearing cause I was green with envy...no offense intended

caddisguy
04-27-2020, 11:06 PM
LOL @ this old thread. 2014. Bear season... time for a re-surface. I think this scenario has played out a few times since. Work with what you got!

Personally I'm just a hack and slash meat guy (which takes what? couple medium game bags you can fit in a medium size cooler or rubbermaid with room to spare for ice) sometimes come back for the skull but not always. But what if I am a guy who wants a rug but isn't proficient in skinning? Sooo if you are just a meat guy, it's no problem with a cooler and honda civic, but if you have rug plans and want to keep to whole for a pro... gotta strap that thing whole to the roof and anyone who can do that has my respect :D

Man, just getting that on the roof. I can only imagine. I've only ever shot one bear that I figure "hey I could have carried that out on my back" ... most others even with two people... hey let's lift it by the legs and try to move it a bit... pulling the legs already lifted up to your shoulders and that dead weight hasn't even started to come off the ground LOL... it's a chore just to roll them over to cut out meat. Anyone who moves a bear whole for any distance has my repsect.