PDA

View Full Version : First time Walleye and Pike fishing, need help

igojuone
06-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Going lake fishing for Walleye and Pike for the first time, going to be spin casting. Any advice on tackle and or technique will be appreciated.

skidderman
06-07-2014, 08:26 PM
1/8 ounce jig, no body. Put a minnow on it. Leave it very close to if not on bottom & jig once in a while. Can also troll with a small spoon or plug. I like to use a deep diving red plug at times. Lots of options including bottom bouncing that gets a bit detailed.

goatdancer
06-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Yellow 5 of diamonds works great for walleye. Anything big and gaudy and flashy works for pike casting towards the shallow reed beds. Use a wire leader or the buggers will cut your line. Word of caution, walleye have a very spiky dorsal fin so don't grab them there. Also pike have teeth like sharks so keep your fingers out of their mouths.

DawsonCreedmoor
06-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Is the lake in BC?

If not don't take skiddermans advice lol It's illegal to use fish or fish parts for bait here in BC! (if in AB or somewhere else definitely use the bait!)

So that leaves you a couple options, no bait necessary. Casting for pike I find it hard to beat the old 5 of diamonds spoon, theres a million different rapalas and fancy lures, and I have them in my box, but I always come back to the spoon!

Casting for walleye I find a jighead with the little rubber wigglers works best. Try many different colour combinations as some work better than others.

igojuone
06-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Thanks everyone, the lake is in BC, company fishing tournament at Charlie Lake in FSJ.

DawsonCreedmoor
06-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Ok i've fished it quite a few times.

For walleye you will want to cast the jighead with the coloured wigglers. It's what everyone uses, cast it out, let it sink to the bottom and slowly drag/jerk it back along the bottom. I've done well with a black head and a purplish wiggler. I've always preferred the single tail over the double tailed ones.

Trolling a small spoon can be productive for both species.

Depending on where your camping and what end of the lake you are on will dictate how many pike you will catch. North end of the lake is better for pike. Fish the cliffs for walleye.

LYKTOHUNT
06-07-2014, 09:48 PM
I have fished there a couple of times, what we used was the jigheads with lots of different color rubber wigglers/rooster tails I seem to remember black,yellow or white worked well either trolling or casting.Finding some structure or drop offs helps as well

igojuone
06-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Thanks again I'll try those tips best as I can and let you know how I did.

Sitkaspruce
06-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Off the golf course to the boat launch, white head and yellow tail. Also a purple tail and red head. Fish it slow and be ready for slight hits.

Good luck and post some Picts!!

Cheers

SS

bc7mm
06-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Beef heart on a jig has worked extremely well for me on walleye. For pike, black stripe on a white spoon ( Len Thompsons ) is my usual go to. Yellow 5 of diamonds would be second. I fished northern Sask for several years ( about 20 or so ) , this was the best up there. Tried plugs and various baits but those were the best for us. Was back there last summer and the white with black Len Thompson out fish everything else and accounted for all our fish over ten pounds. Beef heart still dredged up the walleye.

Good luck

Pike we fish 12 - 18 feet deep, walleye a bit deeper. Walley's we had the best luck with an ultra slow retrieve.

good luck

BRvalley
06-11-2014, 09:02 AM
google drop shotting, very simple and effective, offers a bit more sensitivity if you're not tuned into jigging...I've had best luck with bright colours on Charlie, chartreuse, hot orange, etc...black, white, yellow are all good colours though

casting baits is hard to beat spoons and jerkbaits, lots of options....my go to trolling baits are reef runners or rapala tail dancers, long slender baits that mimic the natural forage and they have a wide slow wobble...the big lips dive deep, but in shallow the big lips also help deflect off rocks on bottom

I always start by fishing the points and drop offs...fish walleye shallow in the morning and evening and then out deeper mid day...overcast or windy days with a good chop are always best fishing for me

the main lake point by the golf course is always busy and always holds fish, try to fish the downwind side...the rock bluffs across from that point are also good....you'll catch pike shallow and in any of the bays but usually smaller fish after the spawn...the big girls tend to hold out deeper and suspend main lake, true with most pike lakes when the water temps start to rise....don't find it to be a trophy lake, more of a numbers lake and healthy weight, typical walleye are 18-22" and pike average around 30"...my biggest pike is 35"

when is the tourney?

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o784/BRvalley/P1000322_zps4634370a.jpg (http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/BRvalley/media/P1000322_zps4634370a.jpg.html)

Sarge789
06-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Out east Jackfish (Pike) and Walleye are the way to go! For B.C. I've never fished for them, but the same rules would apply. Look for underwater features for the walleye - i.e. ridges, humps, etc. We always fish the humps for walleye. Troll around them. Walleye school up so if you find one there's more to be found. Bait is legal out there, but minnows are not an option out here.. I'd try trolling a spinner with a fake minnow on it (dependent on the water body at hand's regulations).

For the Jacks its pretty simple.. Anything! Just gotta find em. They like hiding in weeds, so id cast outside of a nice weed bed and lure them out. A few little tugs to simulate a struggling fish, get their predatory instincts going, and then a slow retrieve with small pauses intermittently. Sometimes I will just pull in a bit of line, let it go and reel the slack in. this way you get a move - pause - move - pause.. If that makes sense. As a general rule, spoons always work great for Jackfish.. Its a classic.

Good luck! Post a follow up!

300win
06-18-2014, 01:06 PM
jigs are the most popular for walleye,you can use a variety of spoons or rapalas. Pike, you can use quite a variety of stuff just make sure use use a steel leader connected prior to your hook set up(red devil,rapalas a rubber boot with a treble hook...Lmao) pike are pretty prolific feeders. Check with the locals prior to buying a whole bunch of stuff!! Good luck