PDA

View Full Version : how to make a living hunting - where and what

mikethenewhunter
06-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to change careers to become a hunter. I'm wondering about the "where" and "what" of hunting in BC. In your opinion, assuming I have the resources to learn what I need to hunt, what would you recommend as

i) the best location to make a living hunting; and

ii) what should I hunt at that location to make a living (for one person)

BCBear
06-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Yappydoodledog?

d6dan
06-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Yappydoodledog?

I wonder if he has a 270?.:wink:

frenchbar
06-07-2014, 06:51 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5SX_K21_Hf8/TdMwL99cAhI/AAAAAAAAAAY/P4_CGpsXdnU/s1600/10.31.10+fishing+trip+034.JPG

Kami
06-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Is this even worth the head aches to try and do this today in BC?
Political and social issues would be a nightmare that would never end, I would think.
The best way to become a millionaire while hunting for a living, is to start with 2 million.

bigredchev
06-07-2014, 07:06 PM
i suggest actively pursuing the lucrative business of island moose outfitter services.

Moose Guide
06-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Hunt the coast for Kermode black bears, gall bladders from a spirit bear are worth about $10,000.00!!!! If you can shoot 10 or 12 a year it would make for a pretty good living!!!! Add a few eagles and spotted owls and you could make out like a bandit!!!

mikethenewhunter
06-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks to the one person (maybe two) who provided a serious answer. I understood that it was possible to earn a living from hunting in Ontario, assumed the same in BC.

mikethenewhunter
06-07-2014, 07:35 PM
From the Ontario government website

Today, trapping remains a socially and economically important activity for many people in Ontario.

Do you not consider trapping to be hunting, or it's a different environment economically in BC??

Gateholio
06-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Sure you can make something of a living. Go get a job as a wrangler, get some experience, become a guide. Work guiding 2-3 months in the spring for bears and 2-3 months in the fall for ungulates. Fill in the summer with a job doing fishing guiding or trail riding or whitewater rafting or whatever. Spend the winter trapping or hunting yotes for thier pelts. It's not a really lucrative lifestyle as you could make twice as much money working half as hard in the oil patch, but you can do it if you really want to.

Moose Guide
06-07-2014, 07:42 PM
If you are serious, disregard my last post! Start by applying with outfitters in B.C. and you will be able to make some of your living as a guide, the only other option is to buy a good outfitting area ($300,000-$2,500,000) and become an outfitter!

brian
06-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Thanks to the one person (maybe two) who provided a serious answer.

Unfortunately nobody gave you a serious answer until Gatehouse gave his reply. If you are at all serious, take his advice.

markomoose
06-08-2014, 12:57 AM
Good luck Mikethenewhunter!It won't be easy?Get a hold of Cody Robbins??

604redneck
06-08-2014, 01:38 AM
Sure you can make something of a living. Go get a job as a wrangler, get some experience, become a guide. Work guiding 2-3 months in the spring for bears and 2-3 months in the fall for ungulates. Fill in the summer with a job doing fishing guiding or trail riding or whitewater rafting or whatever. Spend the winter trapping or hunting yotes for thier pelts. It's not a really lucrative lifestyle as you could make twice as much money working half as hard in the oil patch, but you can do it if you really want to.
Totally possible if u work for multiple outfitters

finngun
06-08-2014, 03:06 AM
how to make a living hunting - where and what .....i,m sorry..but ya are about 100years too late..get a living out of hunting today,,hmm not with a big family anyway..maybe some extra money,,out of hunting and fishing..guiding..be creative..:)

J_T
06-08-2014, 05:26 AM
Being a professional takes time to earn a reputation. Especially in the hunting world. Of course you could buy a territory. It would be wise to have some business knowledge going in so that you make wise financial choices. Typically the North and the Kootenay provide the broadest range of hunt opportunities. A lot of the territories in these areas are tied up.

Hunting and Trapping are managed under different regulation in BC. The licence for either is separate and distinct.

My recommendation would be to marry well and use your hunting as a write off.

mikethenewhunter
06-08-2014, 05:38 AM
so based on the answers provided, it seems like the way to earn a living hunting/trapping is by working as a guide or for an outfitter or something like that. My question was more about actually selling things that I hunted/trapped

Pioneerman
06-08-2014, 06:39 AM
It might help to understand what you actually meant in your first comment. Earn a living hunting? Do you mean get paid to go kill animals like a bounty? The guiding outfitter is the obvious way, but takes a lot of years of experience and knowledge , plus you do not hunt or shoot the animals. You do all the grunt work, the set ups, the packing the cooking and so on

RoscoeP
06-08-2014, 07:15 AM
Don't do something you really like for a living, it just becomes a job.

Wild one
06-08-2014, 07:24 AM
Work as a guide for an outfitter and trap in the winter is the closest I can think of

This is not something you are going to make a lot of $ at but if it is the life style you are looking that is the way it is.

The trapping aspect will involve getting a trappers course and buy a trapline and gear to get set up is not cheap. To sell fur you just need to ship it to auction

Might be better off to pick one and work a job in the off season

Gateholio
06-08-2014, 07:43 AM
so based on the answers provided, it seems like the way to earn a living hunting/trapping is by working as a guide or for an outfitter or something like that. My question was more about actually selling things that I hunted/trapped

Well, if you had a trappers license and a trapline on which to trap, yo can make some money selling furs. You might make a couple of thousand doing that. You could also hunt and sell the antlers/capes of animals you kill. You might even make $1000 a year doing that.

I personally don't feel it is a viable option. You missed the market hunter era by over 100 years.

Fred1
06-08-2014, 08:54 AM
I will assume you are fairly young. Go out and start a career doing something that makes money. Start a more modern life ie buy a tv, truck, fishing boat, hunting gear, freezer, kitchen table, maybe some artwork etc... Set yourself up a bit with a foot hold on the way we have become as a productive society. Apply to guide outfitters - become a guide for the spring and fall. You will meet some interesting people. Maybe they can get you out on a trap line once in a while. As for actually making a living off the stuff you kill, that's a tough road! People used to stave to death in the old days doing that - when trapping was far better. Thy guys I know who trap are retired and use it as a hobby/tax write off. They make enough $$ to just be able to do it again next year. If you want to make a living hunting, you will need to buy an outfitter (need big $$) - and most of those guys work in the off season! If you want to make a living "playing" Become a guide!! Guide spring bears, fish (guide) all summer, guide fall hunts!! It totally do able, and no it wont ever become a job!! You will be a grunt for a couple of years then move your way up. Three years ago I was all set up for that life style - then was offered a real job, a good job... I took it... oh my heart! Now I take my holidays and guide and I own a $40,000 truck, a large kitchen table, three pieces of art work and have some pretty sweet gear! So if you are passionate about "hunting for a living", go the guide route! Hunt, fish, hunt... not a bad way to go! Now if you can go international ie US you may have a longer season...
That's my 2cents from a guy who tried it. If you want it go get it!!

Oh that's a great pic of the kid texting under the tree!! LMAO!! So true....

Boner
06-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Do what I did-spend a few years in post secondary schooling, get a job in the oil patch, work six months a year, and pray you aren't working all the way thru hunting season. Which unfortunately has happened a few times.

Kami
06-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Tell us more, original poster. How old are you? What are your goals in life. Want a house? Decent hunting gear with a truck, ATV, and good glass? How about a family? Got one? Want to get there some day? Or are you more of a minimalist? Maybe a cabin in the woods with a good horse is more along your lines of sight? As I grow older I find that things change. Things that I was really interested in years ago, come and go. Living in the city with a decent paying job, with a house, wife and kids, seems to be there the majority of society is, or wants to be. This scenario is very difficult to provide a good lifestyle for your family, off of hunting and trapping. Kids want iPhones, Xboxes, high speed internet, smart TV's, home computers. Then there's skiing, soccer, baseball, football, karate, and all the gear that goes with it that they grow out of every 6 weeks it seems. Life partners? Well that's another whole crazy scenario. A partner who loves the outdoors, loves hunting and trapping for a living is very rare. Most seem to want a home with a yard that they are proud to call home. By proud I mean lots of renovating, upgrades and green lawns. Add up dental work, medicare, insurance, and vehicles. Phew! A guy needs six figures a year to keep up.

But hey, there are minimalists out there doing it. I know a guy who owns Bear River Mercantile on Bowron Lake. His business is up for sale. An outfitter for all the canoe-ists. He does it with his wife. No internet, no cell phone. They work hard and live up there year round. Sounds like a good time, but I know I'd have a war on my hands if I tried to take my wife and kids up there from Kamloops.

Bro 300
06-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Couple of weeks ago, Rifleman was looking for a guide, for someone he works for, I believe. Shoot him a message.

quaint bucket
06-09-2014, 09:38 AM
You would have to be a guide or own an outfitter. That's probably the best way to earn money. That, or get your pilot/boating license... they're always in demand.