PDA

View Full Version : You have a Grizz, now what??

Sitkaspruce
02-27-2007, 01:19 PM
I am curious as the what the lucky hunters are going to do with the grizzly, if they are succsseful in bring one down? I have had three draws, shot at one and missed and the other two, either small bears or no bears. My wife just asked me what would I do with one if I harvested it, I told her that we would have to sell the house and build a bigger one to put it on the wall, then she asked me where would I get the money for the rug, since it now cost the same as my quad did 4 years ago:lol: . I shrugged my shoulders. Good question.

So what are you guys going to do with your grizzly if you shoot one?

The Hermit
02-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Don't ya just hate it when the war department asks good questions like that??

BearSniper
02-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Well.....:|

With luck I'd get a rug made. Or maybe its the same to get a head mount with teeth showing, kind of like a deer head.

I guess I'll have to see.:frown:

The trick is, you gotta get one first.:smile:

johnes50
02-27-2007, 01:47 PM
I think hunting for Grizzlies is one of the few hunts that is purely a Trophy hunt. I don't think too many people eat them.

If you can't afford to get a rug made now, talk to your local taxidermist for some suggestions. I would clean up the hide, salt it, wrap it up good, and freeze it for now. That will give you some time to think about what you want to do with the hide. For sure, someday you'll wish you had made a rug out of it. John

Stone Sheep Steve
02-27-2007, 02:29 PM
If I were to get a good bear I'd be leaning towards a half mount8) . Not cheap but I'm only going to mount one. I have an area above the stairs to put it so the first thing you would see when you come in the house is the bear coming out of the wall towards you:eek: . If it keeps the weak of heart and anti hunters out of my house, all the better.
I do like sawmill's grizzer but I don't want to give my kids nightmares:lol: . Maybe just have the mouth slightly open.

I'll be telling my taxidermist to take his time so I can make payments......even if it take 3 years to pay for it.

Rubs aren't as obvious on half mounts as they are on rugs as long as they're not too major.

I'd eat a good chunk of the meat as well.

SSS

BCrams
02-27-2007, 02:32 PM
If I were to get a good bear I'd be leaning towards a half mount8) . Not cheap but I'm only going to mount one. I have an area above the stairs to put it so the first thing you would see when you come in the house is the bear coming out of the wall towards you:eek: .

SSS

All I can see out of that is a similar image of Danny's deer coming out of the wall ! :)

I'd get a rug!

rollingrock
02-27-2007, 02:43 PM
That's what my credit card for. :)

luckynuts
02-27-2007, 03:29 PM
No tag this year but if I ever manage to harvest one definately a Rug or full body mount. I would go all out as I only need one:rolleyes: however want is another thing. Also would give me an excuse to buy a bigger house:lol:

bigwhiteys
02-27-2007, 03:39 PM
If I were to get a good bear I'd be leaning towards a half mount:cool: .

I wonder what that would cost on a Grizzly? My 1/2 mount black bear should be done anytime and the cost was around $900 for that.

Carl

dana
02-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Last fall I was looking for a Big 'Un and if I had of killed one, I was thinking Full-Size. Would have to sell a lot of moose sheds to pay for it, but it would be worth it. ;)

Stone Sheep Steve
02-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Last fall I was looking for a Big 'Un and if I had of killed one, I was thinking Full-Size. Would have to sell a lot of moose sheds to pay for it, but it would be worth it. ;)
Not to mention paying for renovations to your house to accompany the big beast:) .

SSS

calvin L
02-27-2007, 07:21 PM
If I can get a grizz with my bow & it is a good one most likely a life size . If it is great bear and I gun it (cose to 7 feet ) life size . I don't want just a bear . As most have said I just want one (a year LOL).:lol: I have heard of people selling the hide . Right or wrong in other people eye's it is still legal .

Sitkaspruce
02-27-2007, 07:21 PM
I agree guys, about only getting one, it is after all, arguable the top trophy in BC. So what do the guys who have told us they have shot two or more bears do with the animal? Do they have lots of moose sheds that they sell, or are they single, make lots of money and have a big house? I guess you can sell it or just take pictures and throw the whole thing away. So I am also curious about the guys who have one already.

I just told my wife that I will not be around this spring, as I an following Steve's idea and will be cruising and walking the roads for moose sheds. She said good luck and that if I want the new house, I will need to collect a lot. She also reminded me that she gets half of what I make (who made that rule up?????). Looks like a few years of collecting before a bear can go on the wall.:sad:

dana
02-27-2007, 07:27 PM
SSS,
I think I could fit a lifesize in my little house. I'd have him sitting on his ass eating a jar of honey as that is the most realistic pose. :)

Sitka,
Isn't funny that is the way it work. I have to pay my wife half of my shed money too. :)

Stone Sheep Steve
02-27-2007, 07:33 PM
I could fit a life-size in my house too but I'd think my wife would eventually notice the dining room table was missing:roll: . Kids would love eatin off the couch though.........

SSS

eastkoot
02-27-2007, 07:35 PM
I have found after 30 yrs it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, so just do it !!!!

mark
02-27-2007, 09:04 PM
Ill do a rug, boil the skull, and Blow up and frame a few pics, if i bag one!

WoodOx
02-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Likewise.

Rug and skull - no more or no less. Like this thread is titles, I dont plan on shooting several grizzlies, so if I tag one with mark this spring, ill do it right. IMHO getting a wall mounted one is a waste of the pelt? just a thought unless you plan on taggin a couple!

willyqbc
02-28-2007, 03:51 PM
If I were to get a good bear I'd be leaning towards a half mount:cool: . Not cheap but I'm only going to mount one.

same here....would do up the skull as well of course!

Chris

StoneChaser
02-28-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm looking forward to hunting grizz this spring!

Not sure what I'll do with mine should I be lucky enough to take one.

As much as I'd love a lifesize mount, I could finance a few fly in sheep hunts with the money the taxidermist would charge.

Half mounts don't excite me, and I'm not too hip on rugs.

Undoubtedly a heap of good photos and bleached skull will be in order, and maybe a tanned hide to hang on the wall.

StoneChaser