PDA

View Full Version : Errock lake bears killed

rides bike to work
06-04-2014, 03:59 PM
I was invited to a private property to hunt a problem bear around lake errock. Turns out last night one of the neighbors took matters into his own hands and killed over 5 bears cubs and sow included. Cops and co where on site last night. Anyone else hear about this?

itsy bitsy xj
06-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Nope haven't heard about it. Do you think it will make the local news?
That really sucks that he/she did that.

Steeleco
06-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Take the book and throw it at them. 5 cubs, that does sound like an awful lot for any bear?

Kudu
06-04-2014, 05:14 PM
I was invited to a private property to hunt a problem bear around lake errock. Turns out last night one of the neighbors took matters into his own hands and killed over 5 bears cubs and sow included. Cops and co where on site last night. Anyone else hear about this?

Problem bear.....hmmmmm

Did they report it to the co's - did they give up waiting on the co's when an aggressive sow with cubs threatened domestic animals / humans - and take the matter into their own hands?

Can one sow actually carry and birth five cubs?

So many questions - so few answers!

The Dawg
06-04-2014, 05:19 PM
"Killed over 5 bears, sow and cubs included"

Doesn't necessarily mean it was just a sow and 4 cubs.

rides bike to work
06-04-2014, 06:25 PM
The guy told menorah big boar one sow two cubs and at least one juvinile.they had got into the chicken coupe.

two-feet
06-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Does not sound likely to me. Boars are not great at sharing with cubs, juveniles etc.

300rum700
06-04-2014, 06:41 PM
Sounds like the only thing he did wrong was report it.

Drillbit
06-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Sounds like the only thing he did wrong was report it.

Yep. Might as well report it though. If they were in the chicken coop, as stated above, they can be legally shot and should be.

Mountain Hunter
06-04-2014, 11:01 PM
So here is thought, instead of killing several local bears (whatever the number? sow with cubs, boar, juvenile) why did not he simply educate them. I cannot believe that all of them were in the chicken coop, unless it was stinking pile of chicken carcasses. Now the landowner has simply created an opening for juvenile dispersing bears to expand their home range, and they may cause more problems in the future.

I live and work in bear country and have chased bears out of the yard shooting shotgun shells over their back, they then became much more rare around the yard. If the landowner keeps shooting bears, they will keep complaining and shooting more bears, saying, "shit there are too many bears around". Instead if they harassed or hazed bears they will see them less often, causing less problems. I know plenty of people with chickens and have black bears around with few problems. Yes, it does happen once in a while, then OK do what is needed, when conditions warrant. But shooting a bunch of them in one spring isn't going to help the problem

There will always be black bears in BC, it is just a matter if you can live with them!