PDA

View Full Version : Camo Tape / Cover for Savage Axis XP 30-06

caddisguy
06-03-2014, 02:04 PM
I have one of those cheap stainless Savage Axis XP 30-06 rifles. It has been beat up and abused pretty bad so the plastic stock is severely dented and scratched up. I don't think I can get a replacement stock and even if I could, I probably wouldn't want to dump the money into it.

I'd like to get the gun looking a little bit nicer so I don't have to hear "what the heck happened to your gun?". Bonus that the shiney stainless finish would be all covered up. I was looking at products to just cover/wrap the whole thing and was wondering if anyone has tried any products like this one:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mossy-oak-camouflage-cloth-tape-duck-blind-0750211p.html#

Will the tape look decent or will each wrap of the tape be obvious? And would it stay on for an extended period of time, even in the heat? I wouldn't want to have to change the tape more than once every year or two and I don't want it to get all slimey and glooey if it's left in a hot car.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

boxhitch
06-03-2014, 03:23 PM
I used similar tape from Home Depot on an Axis , after seeing a friends 'Montatoba' Browning. It works and is easy to repair.

Moe.JKU
06-03-2014, 04:33 PM
why not spray pain it. Grab some leaves, ferns etc from the bush and make a camo pain job. My friend has his done when it got beat up bad. It looks like a whole new gun now that its done.

Steelwheels
06-03-2014, 04:44 PM
I have one of those cheap stainless Savage Axis XP 30-06 rifles. It has been beat up and abused pretty bad so the plastic stock is severely dented and scratched up.I probably wouldn't want to dump the money into it.. I was looking at products to just cover/wrap the whole thing and was wondering if anyone has tried any products like this one:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mossy-oak-camouflage-cloth-tape-duck-blind-0750211p.html#
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Price is Right.... What have you got to lose??

BRvalley
06-03-2014, 05:21 PM
I'd go the painting route myself

but in case the tape doesn't hold up, just hold onto your receipt lol
Canadian Tire Warranty:This product carries a 1 year exchange warranty redeemable at any Canadian Tire store.

caddisguy
06-03-2014, 06:35 PM
I'd go the painting route myself

but in case the tape doesn't hold up, just hold onto your receipt lol
Canadian Tire Warranty:

This product carries a 1 year exchange warranty redeemable at any Canadian Tire store.

Haha true. That could translate into a lifetime supply of the stuff. I'll just take off the loose tape each year and bring it in with the receipt.

I'm sure about painting. I'm not fully confident I could make it look better. Maybe if I fill in some of gashes with epoxy. Would I just use spray paint? Maybe car touch-up spray? Still considering my options. It's quite mangled... don't ask :)

BCBear
06-03-2014, 06:38 PM
my camo tape has lasted about 2 yrs on my Browning stainless no issues

Stone Sheep Steve
06-03-2014, 07:00 PM
I used similar tape from Home Depot on an Axis , after seeing a friends 'Montatoba' Browning. It works and is easy to repair.

Haha. We'll see what it looks like when I take it off pfq. Don't want to be packing extra weight into the mountains.

Maybe one day I'll be able to afford a real knock-off of a nice rifle

hoochie
06-03-2014, 10:20 PM
go to the autobody section of CND tire and bondo then paint it. if its beaten up already, what you do to it cant hurt it.

4pointer
06-04-2014, 06:56 AM
I had the mossy oak tape rifle kit (not the linked above) on my Savage Weather Warrior. I disassembled it and taped up everything properly. Instructions were good and for the most part all the pre-cut tape fit pretty good. I took it off a month ago after a year with it. No sticky residue left over. The tape held very well and I did not have any peeling once it was one. I used a heat gun to get it to form nicely to the stock and cutouts.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg270/bosskiller/IMG_0152_zpsd906c719.jpg
Not the best picture....I was very happy with the end result.

caddisguy
06-04-2014, 07:06 AM
go to the autobody section of CND tire and bondo then paint it. if its beaten up already, what you do to it cant hurt it.

If a few hundred pounds of rocks didn't hurt it, not much will. Barrel looks straight, trigger assembly works and the scope appears to be in tact. It didn't fog up the next morning. No play in the scope... seems to be mounted nice and solid, but I'll still check to see if I need to re-sight. Just has more "character" than one would ever want. No stock wobble now though, so functionally it might be better off than before it was crushed.

goatdancer
06-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Haha. We'll see what it looks like when I take it off pfq. Don't want to be packing extra weight into the mountains.

Maybe one day I'll be able to afford a real knock-off of a nice rifle

How much weight will the tape add to the rifle?

boxhitch
06-04-2014, 07:30 PM
weight on the rifle is nothing compared to weight on the mind when trying to summit .

Stone Sheep Steve
06-04-2014, 07:48 PM
How much weight will the tape add to the rifle?

Well, it's enough. Put it this way.....I'm moving down to 130gn TTSX's from 140gn TSX's so I'll be saving 100 grains for 10 bullets:-D.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC01338.JPG

quaint bucket
06-05-2014, 08:47 AM
looks good

Stone Sheep Steve
06-05-2014, 09:28 AM
looks good

Good from far but far from good. :)

quaint bucket
06-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Good from far but far from good. :)

haha, I'm going to have to remember that whenever I correct someone on that. :)

my only concern is, if it's made out of cloth, won't the cloth get wet and freeze and crack your stock/barrel/scope?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-05-2014, 09:42 AM
haha, I'm going to have to remember that whenever I correct someone on that. :)

my only concern is, if it's made out of cloth, won't the cloth get wet and freeze and crack your stock/barrel/scope?

It's not cloth. It's duct tape. The camo version seems more like plastic than the regular stuff. I'll let you know about the damage when I finally take the stuff off after the 18 months it's been on there.

SSS

itsy bitsy xj
06-05-2014, 11:44 AM
I had the mossy oak tape rifle kit (not the linked above) on my Savage Weather Warrior. I disassembled it and taped up everything properly. Instructions were good and for the most part all the pre-cut tape fit pretty good. I took it off a month ago after a year with it. No sticky residue left over. The tape held very well and I did not have any peeling once it was one. I used a heat gun to get it to form nicely to the stock and cutouts.

Not the best picture....I was very happy with the end result.

Is that the kit they sell at cnd tire, wally world princess auto... for $30? I've been thinking of putting that on my 12 auto

4pointer
06-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Yup thats the kit. Very durable and no sticky residue when you decide to take it off. Be sure you get the shotgun kit.

goatdancer
06-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Well, it's enough. Put it this way.....I'm moving down to 130gn TTSX's from 140gn TSX's so I'll be saving 100 grains for 10 bullets:-D.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC01338.JPG

You could save even more weight by only taking 5 rounds..........

caddisguy
06-05-2014, 06:07 PM
I ended up buying 3 of the 2"x10' rolls of Mossy Oak cloth tape. From what I gather the glue might bleed a bit and it will promote moisture and dirt retention, but I doubt I'll doubt I'll keep this gun in production very long. Maybe another year or two and I'll retire it... disable it and use it as a decoration--pending refresh of display laws--or something if it earns a good memory... it hasn't yet to date.

I went in for a couple rolls of $6.99 tape and ended up with $200 in Mossy Osk shirts, jacket and hoodie. Funny how that happens. They gave me a $25 gift certificate for my next visit, so now I'll come back for th cargo pants. Guess I should join a support group. Oh wait... this is it, isn't it? :D

I'll post a pic and follow up or two about the tape.

caddisguy
06-06-2014, 08:52 AM
I started taping with the cloth tape yesterday evening. It seems to form and stick very well. I'm trying to do it as best I can without removing the scope. I am trying to avoid re-sighting even though there's a chance I might have to anyway. I think it looks nice though. I'll have a picture when it's done, but I won't be able to speak for the durability until it sits in a hot vehicle, gets dirty, rained on, take it off and see how much surface rust I have, etc.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2014, 09:25 AM
You could save even more weight by only taking 5 rounds..........

Let me see take 5 rounds, waste 3 on charging grizzly. That makes 2 left for sheep. Say, it takes 2 for sheep.....that makes zero for packing out the meat. :confused:

caddisguy
06-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Here's the end result. I looks good by my standards, but doesn't stick as well as I would hope. End points for the pieces of tape seem to want to come loose under a cool and dry environment, so I imagine it will be slighly annoying in field and that I'll have to do periodic patch work. That said, $6.99 per roll, one and a half rolls used. If it lasts for a season it was well worth it.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/camo-tape_zps2b8ef923.jpg

quaint bucket
06-09-2014, 09:42 AM
looks pretty sharp. I think I will do that...

Stone Sheep Steve
06-09-2014, 03:28 PM
It's not cloth. It's duct tape. The camo version seems more like plastic than the regular stuff. I'll let you know about the damage when I finally take the stuff off after the 18 months it's been on there.

SSS

Well I pulled off the duct tape today and I was pleasantly surprised that it came off so easily after ring stuck on there 18 months. Hardly any sticky residue left behind and no extra rust. Cleaned up easily with some acetone. Will definitely do it again. Can't beat the cost of half a roll of duct tape from Home Depot. 👍

SSS

Edzzed
06-10-2014, 03:26 PM
I am planning on buying a new axis xp2. That said I also plan on buying a Boyd stock for it and could sell you the original stock for 50 bucks. That will offset my cost somewhat.