PDA

View Full Version : Got a griz draw, but...

ohotnik
02-27-2007, 11:34 AM
When I realized that I got a griz draw - I was happy as hell. But after checking the code 3171 my happiness desappeared. The draw is a substitute hunt in region 6-29 and there is almost no access there - one road which goes from Yukon...:eek: It is a very north west corner of BC. So my draw turned out to be worse then loosing.:sad: I can not apply for the fall hunt and my odds are screwed up for the next year. Any info about 6-29? Or may be someone had the same luck as me? (there were 15 authorizations in this region). Asking just in case if I decide to commit suiside and drive up there this spring. (I live in Burnaby) Never again I will put for substitute hunt - we learn from our mistakes. Thank you guys.

BearSniper
02-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Hey man.... don't give up.:-(

Heres a thought. You could fly to Whitehorse, rent a truck, and come down
highway #3 towards Haines. Then turn west into 6-29 to hunt. There has to be some type of forestry roads that go in.

I'd venture to say the airfare to Whitehorse, if you booked early, is cheaper than the gas all the way up there and down from Burnaby.

With a Grizzly, you don't have to bring the whole carcass out, just the hide. Maybe you could have it taxidermied in Whitehorse and have it shiped down later.

I agree, driving up there is a 4 day ordeal. You can get a flight (2.5 hours) round trip for about $485 bucks. Why not ? The Americans do it.

Food for thought. Good luck with your decision.:smile:

RiverOtter
02-27-2007, 12:28 PM
That's a beautiful corner of the province for sure, but due to access, they should almost let Yukon residents have a crack at surplus draws, if they really want x number of bears harvested.

If by chance you do go up there, I doubt you'll be disappointed. The scenery alone is amazing. Whitehorse is also fairly well stocked, so you can stock up on grub on your way through. Flying may be the cheapest, but if you drive, make sure to take the Stewart/Cassiar hwy at least one direction. Search around the web a bit and I bet you could find a Yukon resident to show you around and maybe give you a place to stay. I have spent some time in that country and the people are super nice and very helpfull. Take a few boxes of good B.C. fruit and a case of Okanogan wine and you'll have it made.......(grins)

RO

BCrams
02-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I'd fly to Whitehorse then rent a car / truck. You will be hiking off the highway. There are some great views and slopes you can glass for feeding grizzlies (even right off the highway). It is very open and you can reasonable expect to spot grizzlies over long distances.

Another sure fire way to get a grizzly is to convince one of the rafting companies that run the Tat to let you bring a rifle so you can harvest your grizzly on the trip. I understand they see grizzlies quite frequently along the river bars and adjacent mountain sides.

ohotnik
02-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Wow, guys - thank you very much for great ideas! I am much more optimistic now. Will definately explore those possibilities now. I am actually starting getting pumped about this spring. I would appreciate some details about abovementioned rafting company. Thanks again:)

The Hermit
02-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Dude if I had the time I would volunteer to go along to share expenses and maybe take a blackie... consider getting a buddy to go with you if that helps you to get out there to use the tag.

In case you aren't aware of the way the new MOE allocation process works check out the threads in the Politics forum here on HBC to see why it is SO important that you use that tag! Thanks and good luck on the trip!

boxhitch
02-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Hunts like that one, that are almost beyond reach for alot of Resis, should be able to be drawn for as a group. It takes a real partner to want to accompany and share expenses , with no chance to shoot a GBear (legally).
oh, 15 tags were up on the tentative list. What was the end result and what were your odds ?
It may be possible to hook up with another draw winner, but that is a long shot. The LEH office may help with hooking you up.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-27-2007, 09:59 PM
You can pick up a flight from Vanc to Whitehorse for a pretty good price sometimes, especially since it is off-season.

SSS