PDA

View Full Version : Bear Hunt Success!!

Taylor329
06-03-2014, 02:01 PM
My dad and I headed north toward region 5 for the May long weekend, leaving friday after work so we could start hunting at first light on saturday. It rained for most of the day, and we didn't see much sign. Total sightings for the day included 2 moose, 6 or 7 small bears including cubs, 2 very skinny deer and hundreds of rabbits. It seemed like they were crossing the road every 30 seconds.

Sunday morning came and we decided to switch areas, we were seeing much more sign, more food, and it was raining less. The weather cleared up enough a few times allowing us to stretch our legs and hike some roads and slashes. We ran into a couple bears while on foot, all of which too small for our liking so we sat and watched them for a while before taking off. Later in the day around 5:00 we entered a logged area that seemed like bear paradise, clover as far as you could see, good cover, lots of sign, you name it. We sat near the entrance to glass and it didn't take more than 10 seconds and we spotted a small cinnamon sow feeding on the opposite side of the slash. We moved over to it's location but by the time we got there, it had moved out of sight. We were looking in the direction that it had moved and we spotted another small bear, this time a jet black boar, on a deactivated road back near the entrance. Again we headed in the direction of the bear and walked down the road we spotted it on.

Walking down the road, there was a ravine to our left with another road on the oppopsite side, thick trees on our right. We walk all the way to a dead end, with nothing but scat on the road. We turned around and walked maybe 20 feet before hearing heavy scratching and "HUFF HUFF HUFF" in the ravine. As we looked down 40 yards away was the cinnamon sow rapidly climbing a tree to get away from the jet black boar which was charging it. We scrambled to get low so we could watch the scene unfold undetected. After chasing the sow up the tree, the boar proceeded to go from tree to tree, standing on its hind legs and rubbing his back on each one, holding branches above it's head and making his presence known. He rubbed his way across the ravine to the other road and began to feed, the cinnamon sow climbed down the tree and sat at the bottom of it, too wary to move away from the safety it gave her.

We watched these bears for maybe 20-30 minutes and we started to hear branches snapping in the distance, dad looked at me and said "I think another bear is coming!", as if everything that just happened wasn't exciting enough! There was a small hill near the road the black boar was on, and he started to feed his way around the back of it. We lost sight of him for 5 minutes when all of a sudden we heard a commotion of cracking, thumping and another loud round of "HUFF HUFF HUFF" coming from the backside of the hill. The cinnamon sow ran back up the tree to safety. The black boar came over the hill first, ears laid back running full speed throwing up dirt and leaves from its feet as it ran. Behind it running just as fast was a fat brown phased boar, it's coat was shimmering as it ran, huffing the whole way. It was like a scene from an action movie, looking through the binoculars we realized what a hog this bear was as he chased the black boar to the road and watched as it ran away, never looking back. As he watched the black boar leave he began to feed on that road of his newly claimed territory, while dad and I moved over to the stump of a fallen tree for a good gun rest. None of the bears even knew of our presence giving us good time to set up the shot.

He was starting to feed his way towards the hill facing away from us, and never really presented perfect broadside. He was quartering away from me at 142 yards and stopped walking, for fear that he would continue over the hill and dissapear I decided to take the shot. I knew it wasn't the perfect shot, but I was confident that it was good enough to be clean and lethal. At the crack of the shot, the cinnamon sow ran farther up the tree, and the 7mm Rem Mag entered through mid-body right side, and passed through the left lung, shattering the opposite shoulder as it stopped 1 inch from making an exit wound. It let out a roar as it spun a few times, went about three steps then fell over and expired. We watched till we couldnt see movement and the celebration began, "He's down, HE'S DOWN, OH MAN WHAT A SHOT THAT WAS FREAKIN AWESOME, DID YOU SEE HOW FAST THEY WERE CHASING EACHOTHER HOLY CRAP" my dad was yelling, just as excited as I was.

After dragging a few stumps and logs out of the way we were able to get the truck within a few feet of the bear making everything alot easier. We admired the bear and it's awesome colour, took a few pictures and began the dirty work. The whole time we were working on the bear, the cinnamon sow never moved more than 20 feet from the base of its tree, huffing and moaning at us untill we had the bear all packed up and drove away. We got home at 3:30AM on Monday, salted the hide a few hours later after quick sleep, and took it to the taxidermy for a rug to be made. Most memorable hunt I have ever been on and definitley a once in a lifetime show these bears put on for us.

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r613/Taylor7120/2014%20Hunting/image_3_zps02b90159.jpeg

sarg
06-03-2014, 02:09 PM
That's a good looking bear, congrats

leadpillproductions
06-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Nice bear congrads

Steelpulse
06-03-2014, 02:25 PM
That's a beastly looking bear, nice

adriaticum
06-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Very nice bear, congratulations!

coach
06-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Awesome story and pics! Congrats on a very nice bear!

Ron.C
06-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Sounds like an awesome hunt. And that's a beauty bear. Congrats.

Grumpa Joe
06-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Great bear! Looks like a good size, nice colour and a white chest blaze for good measure. Congratulations.

Big Lew
06-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Congrats on your success getting a real nice colour bear, and for your great story.

Wrj
06-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Gorgeous bear! Nice work

huntcoop
06-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Nice colour, awesome!

zpruden
06-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Good Job! Good looking bear

Stone Sheep Steve
06-03-2014, 04:09 PM
That's a great boar and even better story to go with it!

Congrats! That's an experience you won't soon forget!

a

Moe.JKU
06-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Very nice bear. Congrats

180grainer
06-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Nice bear. Is that a Richards Micro fit stock?

yamadirt 426
06-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Great bear and story. Thank you!

guywitha270
06-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Wow, dude! Congrats! One of the nicest I've seen on this forum! Way to go!

gerrygoat
06-03-2014, 06:06 PM
That's a great bear and a cool story, you'll remember that for a long time.

BCBear
06-03-2014, 06:13 PM
beauty colorphase!

Pre '64
06-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Great storey, thanks for posting.

bc_buckshot
06-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Yup my vote for bear of the year hands down

Rattler
06-03-2014, 06:28 PM
What a beautiful bear....hides don't come much nicer than that...

Congrats to you and your Dad and thanks for sharing.

epicZERO74
06-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Nice looking bear! And gun too :)

HarryToolips
06-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Way to go I'm jealous lol....

Sitkaspruce
06-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Awesome bear!!!! And a great story as well!!

Thanks for bringing us along and posting the story!!

Cheers

SS

Taylor329
06-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone, glad my first story on HBC is a hit!!

Nice bear. Is that a Richards Micro fit stock?

Actually it's just the stock the gun was made with from Browning, nothing extra or aftermarket here :)

HARDICAT
06-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks for posting. Congrats bud

Cpl_Punishment
06-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Beauty bear! Colour phase and white patches to boot!

cpearen
06-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Always wanted to get a color phase. Great work man

Fred1
06-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Great bear! I love those brown ones! See lots of them, haven't got one yet. Nice work!!!