PDA

View Full Version : Moose attack injures Prince George woman

dawn2dusk
02-27-2007, 09:05 AM
You guys here about this? Grandma should be packin a 45-70 rather than a cane.

Last Updated: Thursday, February 22, 2007 | 4:37 PM PT
CBC News (http://www.huntingbc.ca/news/credit.html)
Prince George RCMP have issued a public alert after a moose attack in the city on Thursday morning.
A female moose with two calves attacked a 60-year-old woman while she was walking her dog. The woman was taken to hospital with minor injuries while her dog, a cocker spaniel, was so badly injured that it had to be euthanized.
Earlier this month, a moose with calves chased a man in a residential neighborhood that backs onto a hillside.
"We've advised people to bring in their dogs and to just be aware if they're out walking," Constable Gary Godwin told CBC Radio.
Students at Pinewood Elementary School, near the location of Thursday's attack, were kept inside during recess.
Conservation officers are now looking for the moose, but have not yet determined what they'll do with them. They say a moose protecting her calves can be dangerous — even deadly.

Gus
02-27-2007, 09:31 AM
They shot the cow and are going to "keep an eye" on the yearling calves

Kevin21
02-27-2007, 10:44 AM
it was all over the radio...too bad about the dog loyal right to the end

curt
02-27-2007, 02:35 PM
thats too bad they shot her she was doing what is natural to her pretecting her baby when people move into their country things like that will happen we need to learn how to live beside the wild animals killing them off isnt the answer it's not like she was some human seeking killer moose give me a break it was an unfortunate incident but she didnt deserve to die we keep this up there will be nothing left out there for us to hunt and that would suck.:-(

Kevin21
02-27-2007, 03:02 PM
I heard that the co found ticks on it as well so im sure that didnt help

Postal
02-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Just read this story and we've got a very similar problem up in Fort St John. I've seen a cow and calf in my street on numerous occassions so far this winter and I live in a residential area (well as residential as you can get up in these parts).

I only wonder how long it will be until something like what happened in Prince George happens here.

I've already heard of a few people chased by a cow moose while walking their dogs around these parts.

I'll have to learn to run faster then my lab :)

elkguide
02-27-2007, 09:13 PM
go up to hudson hope and ask around....they used to have a pet mulie buck around town......had to run him off during the rut....no shit!

Blktail
02-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Postal
You will have to kick that Lab real hard to beat it in a race. I will bet the dog recognizes the problem before you get your leg cocked. :lol:
You will just have to learn to run faster than the moose.:smile:

scoot
02-27-2007, 11:08 PM
PG guys, whats the name of the Baldy Hughs buck again? Any pics

moosinaround
02-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Scoot it is "Buttons" Never seen it but heard it is as tame as a pet dog.

cwocarsten
02-28-2007, 02:17 AM
I once got in between a cow moose and her calf during my morning constitution. She came at me with neck hairs on end and I thought I was a gonner since it is hard to run with your drawers around your ankles. Luckily the calf changed direction and ran off with mom following behind. PHEW!!

Schmaus
02-28-2007, 04:50 AM
Buttons has multi colored antlers. They put colored tape all around his antlers so that hunters would not shoot him. All the other deer probaly make fun of him.

hunter1947
02-28-2007, 06:16 AM
thats too bad they shot her she was doing what is natural to her pretecting her baby when people move into their country things like that will happen we need to learn how to live beside the wild animals killing them off isnt the answer it's not like she was some human seeking killer moose give me a break it was an unfortunate incident but she didnt deserve to die we keep this up there will be nothing left out there for us to hunt and that would suck.:-( I agree ,they could of tranquilized her and taken her to a remote area ,but now a days all the government thinks about is revenue :mad: ,it is sad thing. hunter 1947.

butcher
02-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Yes, god forbid we kill any more moose. I hear region 7 is just about out of them. Next thing you know they'll start shooting problem bears.

Krico
02-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Come on guys, get real. They aren't going to relocate an aggressive doe in 7B either. The moose population around here is on a steady rise, along with most ungulates. The cow was acting aggressive in an area within city limits that is frequented by children. Shooting it was a no-brainer. There are still plenty left for the hunting season.

johnes50
02-28-2007, 12:11 PM
When I lived in Jasper the wildlife roamed freely in town. Deer sleeping on lawns, black bears popping up around corners at night when you walked home from the pub, and Elk strolling around the Post Office.

The tourists thought it was a big petting zoo, but the locals knew better. A few tourists learned that bull elks with a harem don't like having their picture taken with your arm around their neck.:grin:

I saw a German tourist who got between Mamma bear and her cub while trying to take a picture of the cub from about 15 feet away at a campground. Mamma just started a charge when I drove my car between him and Mamma. I was at the right place at the right time. The tourist was furious at me cause I ruined his shot. I explained to him in an international language what I thought of his intelligence. I think he understood. John

hunter1947
02-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Come on guys, get real. They aren't going to relocate an aggressive doe in 7B either. The moose population around here is on a steady rise, along with most ungulates. The cow was acting aggressive in an area within city limits that is frequented by children. Shooting it was a no-brainer. There are still plenty left for the hunting season. What about all the elk around the city limits in jasper and lake louise ,do they shoot the bull elk when there aggressive around people at that time of the year when there in RUT ,NO ,they relocate them. hunter 1947.

MB_Boy
02-28-2007, 04:58 PM
What about all the elk around the city limits in jasper and lake louise ,do they shoot the bull elk when there aggressive around people at that time of the year when there in RUT ,NO ,they relocate them. hunter 1947.

They have federal money......and ALBERTA OIL money to help fund such relocations. :wink: :wink:

Also......taking down these animals in a tourist town is different than Prince George in the middle of winter. (no offense meant to anyone...:oops: :razz: ) But seriously I am sure it is a factor.

When you look at towns that relocate vs destroy animals I think there are factors like this that would tend to come in to play.

Gate maybe able to comment about bears in Whistler and the tendency to destroy vs relocate? I have no idea but I am just saying this may play a factor as well?

sawmill
02-28-2007, 05:38 PM
In 2000 89 blacks destroyed in Kimberly
Last year only 9.
Seems to be working.8-)

MB_Boy
02-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Last year only 9.
Seems to be working.8-)

Hunter harvests just outside of Kimberly have dramatically increased as well!! :wink: :biggrin:

Just kidding!!

That is quite the reduction. I take it there is some sort of relocation program in place? For some reason I seem to recall about something (I may be mistaken) near Revelstoke or Golden as well?

Chuck
02-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Ya s##t happens! Some years ago my friend was bombing along the road near McBride in his VW bug. Suddenly a huge bull moose appeared just ahead at the edge of the bush. When he got up to it, it came at him full tilt. There was fencing along the roadway, and he said if it hadn't tangled up in that he would be dead. As it was ,he floored the beetle, and the bull kept coming and snapping off fenceposts. It almost caught up to him, but he somehow managed to get away. He said the moose eventually stopped, with a whole lot of fence hanging behind it.

Krico
02-28-2007, 10:36 PM
What about all the elk around the city limits in jasper and lake louise ,do they shoot the bull elk when there aggressive around people at that time of the year when there in RUT ,NO ,they relocate them. hunter 1947.

You are comparing apples and oranges. There are surely large differences in funding available and protocal for dealing with "problem" animals in these 2 distinct areas. I have lived in PG a long time and cannot remember any other cases of aggressive moose being destroyed. I'm sure the COs have limited resources for relocating animals-both time and money. They are not an animal rescue society. This is not a species in trouble, especially around here. They surely don't relocate all the problem bears around here, and there's no shortage of them either.

johnes50
02-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Destroying an animal in Jasper would be a last resort, life and death issue because it is a National Park and the philosophy is that it's the animals home and humans are the intruders.

People go to the Parks to see the animals, and most wildlife are used to people and are, in a sense, tamer. Plus the Parks have plenty of Wardens, biologists, Naturalists, etc. that deal with wildlife everyday, so they have the money and equipment to deal with the animals

It's not the same outside the Parks. BC and Prince George don't have the same resources as the Parks and they can't take a chance with truly wild animals chasing people around. John

Mr. Dean
03-01-2007, 01:54 AM
Last year only 9.
Seems to be working.8-)

From my readings, relocation SELDOM works. The Bears just keep finding their way back.
Garbage Bear = Dead Bear.
Very important to keep things clean and tidy. I'm sure that since 2000, the residents of Kimberly figured it out (?).

But don't you have a Deer problem because of people feeding them, now???

sawmill
03-01-2007, 08:54 PM
They don`t relocate blacks here,way too expensive and pointless.And yeah,on my way home from work tonight I saw 20+ mulies RUNNING and I mean as hard as they could go up the road toward me and they cut off into a guys yard and slammed on the brakes and started eating what ever he had put down.They know when people put out food and they are like kids trick or treating at 40 mph to hit as many places as possible every night.It is a deep snow winter but it ain`t that bad,these town deer are just pussies,and now we have coyote packs taking over at nite on the hill above me and some cougars in town as well.I took a little 5 minute cruise around my niebourhood this eve and spotted 4 different people feeding deer.One yard must have had over 30 milling around.Ther is a lot of runty little fawns from yearling does that are dyeing the winter but they wouldn`t even be born in the wild.Too damn many greenies trying to save Bambi.:mad:

Schmaus
03-07-2007, 01:35 PM
I just heard on the radio this morning that another moose apparantly with no calf chased an 11 year old on his way to the bus. The kid ran home to his driveway and the bus picked him up, when the bus went by the moose the moose chased the bus. The moose are getting crazy around here better open them up for a cullhttp://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/spin.gif