PDA

View Full Version : Fly rod repair in Langley

white moose
06-02-2014, 10:01 AM
I have two fly rods that have the tips broken off. Was wondering if anybody know of a place around langley who could repair.

06-02-2014, 10:10 AM
if they have warentee any sport store can handle it.
if they dont have warentee all that will happen is the store will glue a tip on them.

you cant repair a rod, only replace the whole top end or just the tip. So just hed on down to your closest Fly shop

Getbent
06-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Mikes Rod and reel in Abby is great at helping out and steering you in the right direction as well

BRvalley
06-02-2014, 11:21 AM
how much of the tip are we talking about? and what brand? warranty can be hit or miss, all depends on the specific manufacturer....sounds like you are likely just going to glue some new tips on, will not cost too much

Jagermeister
06-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Unless your rod is manufactured by St Croix, Thomas&Thomas, Sage, GLoomis or one of the other flyrod makers, I would not bother to repair it. It simply is not worth the money to install an insert into the broken section and reglue. The whole casting characteristic of the rod will change. If it is one of the aforementioned, then ship it back to the respective manufacturer. They will probably replace the broken section.
I sometimes will refurbish flyrods with new guides and windings, replace cork and real seats but only on qualilty rods. (I am not soliciting work for the time being) It is not worth your money or my time to do the run of the mill flyrods dispensed from C/T or Wally World.

Jagermeister
06-02-2014, 11:25 AM
I have two fly rods that have the tips broken off. Was wondering if anybody know of a place around langley who could repair.
If they were broken right at the tip top, then there is a chance that a larger size tip top can be installed.

adriaticum
06-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Mike's reel repair in Abbotsford.

SHACK
06-02-2014, 03:36 PM
M&Y in surrey will get it done for ya.

Bugle M In
06-02-2014, 05:43 PM
tried calling Ruddicks?? maybe they know someone? or berry's in Richmond??

white moose
06-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. The one rod is a sage graphite III 796 rpl. The other one is a g loomis gl3. Do they warranty these? I bought both these with reels and line for $200. The kids got a hold and were dry casting and broke all the tips. The sage has two. I mainly troll with them.

Bugle M In
06-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Surplus herby's in Vernon is where I purchased the blanks and they had someone in town build them...another place.
An old friend broke a loomis....think loomis replaced it....but that was years ago.
Scary how much they cost...how hard you work to buy....how easy they snap.

NMO
06-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. The one rod is a sage graphite III 796 rpl. The other one is a g loomis gl3. Do they warranty these? I bought both these with reels and line for $200. The kids got a hold and were dry casting and broke all the tips. The sage has two. I mainly troll with them.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/about/warranty/ Good chance they will, but you will find out if they don't. As stated above, it may not be worth the cost to repair them otherwise.

06-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Sage RPL is a Classic. In its time it was Sage's #1 rod it went nto the Rplx And then The full boat RPLXi a full blown salt water rod. When the RPL was on shelf it would have been compairible to, Todays Z-Axis a 800$ rod. I cant quote a Price on shelf for RPL because they were off market near 15 years ago ish but are still a dynamite rod..

GLoomis GL3,, im not a Loomis Guy but i did own a GL3 Spinning rod. GL3 was Loomis's fast action rod, my Med weight 7' Spinner was 275$ and that was 15 years ago as well. GL3 like RPL is top end and old line.

Both these companies should have warrentee parts at the factory, Loomis jerked me around on the GL3 Spinning rod when i broke it... but they did replace it,, i just had to pay hlaf rod Value. I hear they might have changed their policy,, but i dont know.

Those rods are great rods, use them but make sure the kids dont bust them again, take care of them... Back in the day you are looking at near 1500$ worth of gear... 200$ for them and reels is a steal if they were in good shape.
not to mention what kind of reels they came with...

By the way as well,,,, if you do not want to repair them because you still dont feel it worth it....... pm me and will give you my mailing address,, i will send them in and send you the GL3 back! lol