PDA

View Full Version : 400 plus elk in BC?

elkguide
02-27-2007, 12:38 AM
We have all seen the pics of the bruiser found on arrow lakes....my question is; has anyone seen or heard of guys seeing or shooting elk here in BC that come close to the 400 mark. I don't need to know where, just if they are here. We saw one about 8 years ago after season closed that had to be at least 390.......never saw him again. And 4 years ago I decided that I was gonna try for a bull with a bow......didn't go too good....shot at the biggest bull I've ever personaly seen and missed at 35 yards........again never saw him again. (if I had my gun........)

GoatGuy
02-27-2007, 03:55 AM
High 390s killed in 7B last year!

hunter1947
02-27-2007, 05:43 AM
I have not heard of any Rocky MT elk in the 400 plus taken other then the arrowhead lake bull in BC ?????,i do no that there are a few 400 plus bulls taken hear on the island ,if someone has the record book for elk maybe they can post how many were taken ,I'm sure that there are a few in the 400 plus category. hunter 1947.

sealevel
02-27-2007, 06:23 AM
I was heli falling on the east arm of the arrow lakes Beaten. I saw some monsters there i am sure the arrow lakes bull is not the only over 400 bull in there. LEH tough tough country to hunt

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Yep. I had a 360 class bugle and blow snot at me from 15 feet in the late 90's, no LEH tag in my pocket, the guy with the tag was showing up the next day. :frown: I saw a 355 killed in the E Koots. 7B is producing some whoppers the past few years. Even Reg 8 has some dandies if you can find them!

An extra 40 inches on the 360 I saw? No problem, add 3 inches to each point and main beam and a few inches on circumferences, and you're there. I fully expect a 400 to be taken in the next 5 years, especially if LEH's are increased or taken to GOS in some areas.

Mark_S
02-27-2007, 11:11 AM
I know of one set of sheds that were found that are thought to score over 400....419 or so if I recall correctly. Not that you can really be all that accurate with sheds.....

I've seen other sheds in the 380 inch area a few times. They are out there...

elkguide
02-27-2007, 11:48 AM
High 390s killed in 7B last year! I know the C/o up in chetwynd and he told me that he checked a 378 bull last year taken off the east Pine, but he hadn't heard about a 390 bull.....he did te.ll me about a group of bulls that they have been seeing around Nov. for the past 3 years. He is sure they are the same group cause of one bull that has a very distinct rack on him. Anyways he said there are two bulls in the group that very well could be the big boys we all look for....The one bull he said is for sure a 400.

luckynuts
02-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Supposedly that same bull from the east pine was a transplant along with 5 other nusiance bulls. not exactly sure but "Rumours" have it they came from one of the protected parks where there is no hunting pressure. don't want to take anything away from a huge arrow killed bull but thats what's been floating around here since it has been shot. I seen pics of that bull and it's huge lucky *******....:lol:

W.

scuba
02-27-2007, 12:23 PM
there was a 393 non-typical taken in 7a three years ago, i'll see if i can get a picture. i think it was a 9x7. my taxidermist did the head mount.

kootenayelkslayer
02-27-2007, 01:30 PM
I think Rick Berreth of PG said he had an elk come in for inspection that was around 380, shot my some American hunters I believe.

curt
02-27-2007, 02:30 PM
I talked to the CO in Castlegar last fall he's a friend of an uncle of mine he said the next record elk will very likely be from that country he claims they are the biggest he's seen and he was the co in the Atlin area before this new posting.

dana
02-27-2007, 05:21 PM
According to the 11th edition of the B&C there are 4 NT elk and 1 typical elk from BC that score over 400. There are a couple in the 390's as well. Out of those 7 bulls, 3 come from Lytton. There is also another Lytton bull that scores 388 and some change.
Here's a couple of pics of a Lytton bull that scores 430 6/8 NT.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/LyttonBCMonster1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/LyttonBCMonster2.jpg

dana
02-27-2007, 05:25 PM
I've heard several rumors over the years of other 400 inch bulls, but have never seen them materialize. One I thought was pretty intrigueing was a rumour of a 400 inch bull found dead near Horsefly. Not your typical elk country but the Quesnel herd has been pushing southward.

bsa30-06
02-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Dana, isn't that lytton bull the one they found dead on the highway?If so i beleive that bull is on the wall in the lytton museum.

dana
02-27-2007, 06:04 PM
The bull in the pic was taken by Ben Young in 1980. The 388 bull is listed as the Lytton museum as the owner. Must be the one you are thinking of.

eastkoot
02-27-2007, 06:11 PM
The largest typical Lytton bull was poached the day before the season by locals on horseback. The only reason they were caught is because the were checked the day before and had blood on them which they said was from their horse getting caught in a barbwire fence. Next day they showed up with the elk in the early morning, quartered and skinned. 388 1/8

dana
02-27-2007, 06:23 PM
I don't think that is the largest, I think that might be the 388 bull that is owned by the muesum as it is listed in the BC Book as an illegal kill. There is another typical from Lytton that scores 398 4/8 that has the listing Name Removed. I don't know what that means, but normally if it's found dead, it'll be listed as Pick Up and if it was killed illegally, it will be listed as Illegal Kill.

eastkoot
02-27-2007, 06:27 PM
398 4/8 Cliff Loring, Yep, that's the largest. Reason I remember the 388 is I worked in Lilloett and knew CO well in those days.

bsa30-06
02-27-2007, 06:33 PM
I was told by the locals up there that the one in the museum was found on the highway apparently hit by a truck, but it is possible that it was killed illegally.My hunting partner used to live there and work for the road maint. company and would quite often see elk in the field at the high school during the winter months.So there still around just no open season.

Kechika
02-27-2007, 06:36 PM

I can say that Elk Is a absolute pig

dana
02-27-2007, 06:36 PM
The Cliff Loring bull scores 394 4/8 NT according to the 11th Edition of the B&C.

dana
02-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Interesting to note that the largest typical in BC scores 401 7/8 and was a pick up in 1986 at Kootenay Lake. It is listed in the B&C but it is not listed in the latest edition of the BC Book. Also there was a 401 7/8 NT picked up in Fruitvale in 1995. Why are these monster bulls dying and not being shot???? That would tell me that there are probably several more 400+ bulls roaming the hills of BC and dying of old age.

eastkoot
02-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Check out my thread, guess the score.. I posted it as a lark. That is the bull from Kootenay Lake when the MOE had it and it wasn't well known.. The skull is actually fiberglassed to prevent it from falling apart, was fragile when I was holding it..score on it is 465 2/8..

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Why are these monster bulls dying and not being shot???? That would tell me that there are probably several more 400+ bulls roaming the hills of BC and dying of old age.

Because they have so many areas on LEH at stupid high odds, the elk die of old age or get hit on the highway. Hopefully that's gonna change soon! 8)

I also see the Loring bull scoring 398 4/8 in Berreth's book, taken in Lytton in 1984.

dana
02-27-2007, 07:10 PM
I knew that was the Arrowhead bull the moment I saw the pic. Have you ever seen the sheds from that bull for the year previous?

dana
02-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Maybe the Loring bull is listed in the B&C as a NT and in the lastest BC Book as Name Removed as a typical???

eastkoot
02-27-2007, 07:15 PM
No but to hold them was awesome, the weight was unreal. They also had Clarence Browns bull there and it made it look small because of the mass..

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Could be Dana. Some of these book printers manage to bugger stuff up too. My Berreth book is the 1994 edition. Gotta pick up a new one at the Kamloops gun show this year, right after my High Country Tune-up! :lol:

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Those Stetsko boys have quite a few big ones in the book. What year did W Koots go LEH?

dana
02-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Yea, the printer messed my name in the new Edition of Trophy Deer of BC but it is right in the 5th edition of the BC Book. :)

You heading to the Gun Show this year? I'm planning on going. Thinking I might head down without the kids this year so I can stay longer than I did last year. That way I can give High Country Tuneups in the parking lot. ;)

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2007, 07:24 PM
LMAO! Ya I think One Shit Wonder and I will be there. Maybe catch a burger and a couple of pops afterwards, swap a few lies.

sealevel
02-27-2007, 07:56 PM
That arrow head bull was it shot ? or was it just found flooting i have heard a few different stories .

tangozulu
02-27-2007, 08:35 PM
I've always wondered why Alberta has put so many more elk in the book than BC? Down in the Kootenies almost no BandC but 10 miles east and lots from southern Alberta. Same jean pool?
I grew up in Alberta and have to say the elk in general (average ) do seem to have bigger racks.

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Yea, the printer messed my name in the new Edition of Trophy Deer of BC but it is right in the 5th edition of the BC Book. :)

You heading to the Gun Show this year? I'm planning on going. Thinking I might head down without the kids this year so I can stay longer than I did last year. That way I can give High Country Tuneups in the parking lot. ;)

I always wondered who "Stubby Danners" was. :rolleyes:

boxhitch
02-27-2007, 09:18 PM
I've always wondered why Alberta has put so many more elk in the book than BC? Down in the Kootenies almost no BandC but 10 miles east and lots from southern Alberta. Same jean pool?
I grew up in Alberta and have to say the elk in general (average ) do seem to have bigger racks.
Maybe something to do with wintering on the east slope, better feed, milder ?

hunter1947
02-28-2007, 05:33 AM
Because they have so many areas on LEH at stupid high odds, the elk die of old age or get hit on the highway. Hopefully that's gonna change soon! 8)

I also see the Loring bull scoring 398 4/8 in Berreth's book, taken in Lytton in 1984. I agree with you on this post 100%. Just take a look at the island ,there are more big bulls that score high hear on the island for a small area compared to anywhere ells ,all because we have LEH only on the island. hunter 1947.

Schmaus
02-28-2007, 06:14 PM
When they opened up the GOS around PG a couple of years ago there were a couple of pretty big bulls brought in not sure of the scores though.

Brambles
02-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Interesting to note that the largest typical in BC scores 401 7/8 and was a pick up in 1986 at Kootenay Lake. It is listed in the B&C but it is not listed in the latest edition of the BC Book. Also there was a 401 7/8 NT picked up in Fruitvale in 1995. Why are these monster bulls dying and not being shot???? That would tell me that there are probably several more 400+ bulls roaming the hills of BC and dying of old age.

There are lots of reasons why those big elk arn't being shot, the main reason is because those areas are all LEH. Its not always a serious hunter that gets the tag so an average guy see's a 300-330 bull walk up and screaming in your face and he gets all excited and shoots it.

I did hear of a bull that should go over 400 non typical that was shot this year should be at the west kootenay big game banquet. I'll snap some photo's if its there.

Still waiting to get drawn myself so I can take a poke at one of those big buggers. Not holding my breath though.

bighornbob
03-01-2007, 09:56 AM
I beleive the Loring bull was removed (or at least the name) becuase the guy was caught poaching. I remember seeing a Clifford Loring being caught for poaching in the PG area for some other animal. Not sure if it was the same guy that shot the elk in Lytton but I remember reading it and wondering if it was the same guy.

Then I saw the BC book has a statement that if a hunter is caught poaching that his name may be removed from the book but the animal would remain in the book.

When the new BC book came out I noticed that the name for the Lytton bull was removed. The same name was also removed for a dall sheep and a wolf. The wolf was shot with his son and was near the top of the record book and both their names were in the book together. His sons name is still with the wolf but the old mans is removed.

I figured he was busted for poaching of another animal and the BC record book yanked his name from at least three or four animals that I noticed.

BHB

tangozulu
03-01-2007, 12:16 PM
The b ook should never be about the hunter anyways. Mostly thats just luck. Whats important is how big these animals can get under nateral conditions.

Rainwater
03-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Hey most guys won't even get a 300 class bull in their lifetime so if a 330 bull walks by me it probably will get shot. Besides it does not take a lot of bone to go from 330 to 360 or better, not something your average Elk hunter can decide on at a glance.

Fisher-Dude
03-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Hey most guys won't even get a 300 class bull in their lifetime so if a 330 bull walks by me it probably will get shot. Besides it does not take a lot of bone to go from 330 to 360 or better, not something your average Elk hunter can decide on at a glance.

Very true. Worst case of ground shrinkage I ever had was on an LEH bull that got very average when I walked up to him...:redface:

Eastkoot almost made me pack it out myself! :lol:

tangozulu
03-01-2007, 03:09 PM
300 class bulls are very obtainable in BC now. Probably the hatd part is gettin enough hunt time to pull it off.

hunter1947
03-01-2007, 06:39 PM
I saw a bull up the north end of the white river when hunting for deer back in the late 80ties ,this bull was hafe the size bigger in antler size then the bull i shot back a few years ago that grossed out at 356 ,there are some monster bulls hear on the island ,i would think that we will get one in the 420 class in the near future. hunter 1947.

dana
03-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Interesting to note the vast majority of 400 class bulls taken in North America come for Limited Entry units with draw odds that make ours in BC look very very good. ;)

elkguide
03-02-2007, 02:49 PM
300 class bulls are very obtainable in BC now. Probably the hatd part is gettin enough hunt time to pull it off. A big problem I have seen is finding a bull or two and them being huge 5 pointers......bulls that would score in the low 300's but aren't legal because of a 6 point restriction ( don't get me wrong I very much like the 6 point rule), but every few years in area's that have these 5 point genitics they should have leh tags for them. In the past 5 years and in 3 different regions I have seen 30 or more bulls that go into the 300 plus category. So Maybe it was hard to tag on a 300 or better 10 years ago but I believe the odds of that class of bull have gone up dramaticlly in the last 4-5 years. And time isn't as much of a factor as knowing where to be and where to postion to greaten your odds. The skill factor shows itself over and over again.

elkguide
03-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Interesting to note the vast majority of 400 class bulls taken in North America come for Limited Entry units with draw odds that make ours in BC look very very good. ;)a perfect example....unit 9 in Arizona. Very tough draw....but if you get it and you get the oportunity to tag a bull you know its gonna be a big boy ( 350 or better) and lots of 400 plus bulls are taken there.

hunter1947
03-02-2007, 05:12 PM
I have a good friend that did a research on bulls that don't advance into a 6 point ,and the reason for this is that when this bull mates with cows ,then the up coming bulls from the bull that bread the cows will never get into a head gear set being a 6x or bigger ,they will only reach a 5 point stage ,because it is in there jean pool. hunter 1947.

GoatGuy
03-02-2007, 05:18 PM
I have a good friend that did a research on bulls that don't advance into a 6 point ,and the reason for this is that when this bull mates with cows ,then the up coming bulls from the bull that bread the cows will never get into a head gear set being a 6x or bigger ,they will only reach a 5 point stage ,because it is in there jean pool. hunter 1947.

Do you have any research you can put up for the rest of us?

hunter1947
03-02-2007, 05:34 PM
No my friend in cranbrook has it all ,i will ask him if he can send some information down to me. hunter 1947.

GoatGuy
03-02-2007, 05:53 PM
No my friend in cranbrook has it all ,i will ask him if he can send some information down to me. hunter 1947.

Thanks 47,

That'd be great!

Brambles
03-03-2007, 02:08 AM
Interesting to note the vast majority of 400 class bulls taken in North America come for Limited Entry units with draw odds that make ours in BC look very very good. ;)

I agree 100% Dana, however just because you are serious about elk doesn't mean you will ever get a draw to hunt one of those big boys.
Its luck of the draw. So you get some average joe who puts in for high odds elk, just for shits and giggles, and manages to pull a tag, goes out and smokes a dink bull. Basically wastes a premium tag. How many guys do you hear of passing on a 6x6 because it wasn't quite large enough. Maybe in the USA but it doesn't happen in B.C. very often.

Normally those high odd North american limited entry units your talking about are in the USA and by nature weed out the weekend warriors because of the cost involved, plus they are operating on a preference point system whose odds increase with the amount of points accrued.

You get a serious guy with a good LEH draw in B.C. and he has a very good chance at pulling out record book bull, possibly even a 400+ incher.

hunter1947
03-03-2007, 05:25 AM
Brambles your right when you say that most everyone that gets a LEH draw and then goes out and smokes a bull that does not even make it into the 300 class category. I found that out last year when i was involved in a roosevelt hunt hear on the island. I said to my partner that i would make the call if it were a keeper in the 360 plus category ,it was not meant to be ,on our 3 day hunt he saw a nice 6x6 that might go 315 net. He took this bull without me giving my thumbs up http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif. hunter 1947.

Rainwater
03-03-2007, 12:12 PM
I think someones missing the point here. So what if a 400 class bull walks to live another year. Are you actually looking down on your buddy for shooting a 315 bull. Was is a quality hunt? My wife his hunting this year for the first time and she really likes Elk meat. She's gonna put in for an LEH and shoot the first legal bull she sees if she draws the tag. Thats her call not mine. You guys talking about quality hunters instead of the quality hunt kinda sound jaded.

mark
03-03-2007, 12:19 PM
I think someones missing the point here. So what if a 400 class bull walks to live another year. Are you actually looking down on your buddy for shooting a 315 bull. Was is a quality hunt? My wife his hunting this year for the first time and she really likes Elk meat. She's gonna put in for an LEH and shoot the first legal bull she sees if she draws the tag. Thats her call not mine. You guys talking about quality hunters instead of the quality hunt kinda sound jaded.

Dude, the VI elk draw is very low odds of getting it. There are some massive bulls there, I think 1947 was trying to help his buddy get a trophy bull, and just a little dissapointed that his buddy shot a smaller one! Each to their own!

hunter1947
03-03-2007, 03:12 PM
You got it.. Last year my friend got the LEH for the island ,we could go almost anywhere for an elk. Our understanding was that i have to give the thumbs up for him to shoot. Well on the third day of our hunt it was all over.:frown:. What happened was that he told me to go little over to his left about 30 yards so that we would sound like two cow elk calling ,so i did ,big mistake. This bull walked out around 630pm ,i was looking at this bull and said to-myself he is not the one we want ,then about 3 minutes latter boom ,game over. I went up to my partner and said why didn't you yell and ask if he was a keeper before you shot him ,i thought that was our understanding ,he said that he was yelling lightly to me ,i couldn't hear him ,you see i am half deaf. I said to him again why didn't you wait for my OK ,he said because he looked like a real keeper. I said he is not a keeper unless i say take him ,i said did you hear me say take him he said no http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif. I said OOOOOOOOOWELL ,we can't do anything about it now ,he said what do you think he scores before we got over there ,i said around 320 or 315 ,he was not a happy camper. I had to do some nice talking to him to convince him that it was a good elk and it was http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif . Any elk that is in the 300+ class is a keeper i told him ,it was not the elk we wanted but it is better then nothing ,I'm happy for my partner and me that we could go on a Roosevelt hunt ,how many people dream of a hunt of a life time for a roosie :roll:. hunter 1947.

Rainwater
03-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the reply 47, oh and Mark! Each to their own.

Birddog
03-03-2007, 04:35 PM
I've been putting in for Vancouver Island Elk Draws for 15 plus years now. I have yet to get a tag. At this point any Bull would be a trophy for me. Ya a big 350 plus bull would be nice but I would be happy with just a draw and a chance to get a bull.

Cheers Birddog

luckynuts
03-03-2007, 04:45 PM
I totally hear you Birddog have been putting in for almost 20yrs now:frown:
Back in 1992/93 A good friend of mine shot what was the 3rd biggest in BC and 6th in the world at that time. The bull was freaking huge had to reinforce the wall to hang the *******..

W.

300 wsm
03-03-2007, 04:59 PM
where are theese pics of the arrowlakes bruis

hunter1947
03-03-2007, 05:54 PM
I totally hear you Birddog have been putting in for almost 20yrs now:frown:
Back in 1992/93 A good friend of mine shot what was the 3rd biggest in BC and 6th in the world at that time. The bull was freaking huge had to reinforce the wall to hang the *******..

W. Hay luck i have been putting in for island LEH ever since they opened up for it. I got piked in 1988 ,and it's been 19 years and no pick seance then. :frown: hunter 1947.

300 wsm
03-03-2007, 06:59 PM
i havent seen theese pics where can a guyfind em

elkguide
03-03-2007, 09:00 PM
i havent seen theese pics where can a guyfind em look in the boone and crocket internet sight and look under elk........I was found dead not shot ( marked as picked up)....or look under one of the scoring threads I can't remember exactlly wich one.

Brambles
03-04-2007, 02:30 AM
where are theese pics of the arrowlakes bruis

Here's some pictures of the Arrowlakes world record bull from the Trail wildlife banquet 50 year anniversary March 3/07

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_1010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_1009.jpg

lip_ripper00
03-04-2007, 02:36 AM
Here's some pictures of the Arrowlakes world record bull from the Trail wildlife banquet 50 year anniversary March 3/07

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_1010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_1009.jpg

*sigh* one year I would like to SEE one this size.8-)

hunter1947
03-04-2007, 05:21 AM
Them brow tangs are out of this world ,they look like there 30 inches long ,i can only see this bull in my dreams http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif hunter 1947.

30-06
03-04-2007, 11:42 AM
http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/images/imagesRecords/wr_aent.jpgSCORE: 465 2/8 LOCATION: Upper Arrow Lake, BC HUNTER: Picked Up OWNER: B.C. Environment DATE: 1994 KEY MEASUREMENTS:
Length of main beam: Right 49 2/8 - Left 46 3/8
Inside spread: 51 1/8
Circ. of smallest place between 1st & 2nd points: Right 8 5/8 - Left 8 6/8
Number of ponts: Right 9 - Left 11 WORLD'S RECORDS NON-TYPICAL AMERICAN ELK WORLD'S RECORDS NON-TYPICAL AMERICAN ELK

Stone Sheep Steve
03-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Brambles-So how was the big Trail bash last night????
Is that Jay's Cali in the background??

SSS

brno375
03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
I can say that Elk Is a absolute pig

Go to http://www.richpetersen.com/journals/ and open the November issue to page 31.

Brambles
03-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Brambles-So how was the big Trail bash last night????
Is that Jay's Cali in the background??

SSS
The Trail bash was good, lots of people and prizes. The some of the best heads from the last 50 years. Some really impressive stuff for sure.

The sheep is a Bighorn, I believe it was one of the salmo creston LEH rams scores in the 190's can't remember exactly.

Actually I don't think Jay put any of his animals in the display.

gameslayer
03-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Im not a big history buff but did read somwhere that the Arrow Lake Elk was poached, and found dead floating in the lake by ferry workers the shot was heard just before opening. It ended up down in the states for some time on tour before returning to Canada. Please Don't tear me a new one:cry: If I'm wrong but it sure seems to ring a bell.

Brambles
03-04-2007, 07:15 PM
There are a bunch of rumors running around as to what happened to that bull. I heard a guy eventually came forward and said he had shot and wounded a big bull in that area but never was able to recover it.

The bull wasn't found until after the season had closed and there doesn't seem to be any evidence on how long the bull was in the water before it was found.

Wounded animals do tend to run for water.

Definitly a shame, I would like him on my wall

calvin L
03-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Stone sheep steve trail was a great time again you realy missed out . The mule deer . Blew me away . Smallest was a 188 + typ largest 230 ish non typ . 15 to chose from . Lots of rockies ,stones , dalls . Mostly there was RYE . There was over 350 people there . Great turn out . Friday night I got to see the sun come up (through one eye) almost saw the sun on saturday night . It made for a long drive home . (Almost to old for that. )Good thing there is only one more weekend coming up I can try to kill my liver I am getting close to doing it .

deeks1989
02-22-2010, 01:11 PM
2008 a guy here in Trail shot a 393 bull

mikek blacktail
02-22-2010, 05:37 PM
game warden said to me that they have some that big around castlegar a few years back and that they firgured someone would shoot a record there.that was a few years back..

pescado
02-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Last time I saw the arrow lake bull was in Revelstoke, in there arena. When you drive through town go and have a look, his palmation up top is awesome. Freind had the draw there, we got a good bull but it was'nt easy. Tough country to hunt. 340 class bull, biggest one we saw.

winbuckhunter
02-23-2010, 04:40 AM
The previous World Record for non-typical American elk was 465-2/8 B&C points. That bull was found dead, frozen in Upper Arrow Lake, B.C., in 1994, and was entered into Boone and Crockett Club records by the B.C. Ministry of Environment on behalf of the citizens of British Columbia.

hunter1947
02-23-2010, 06:48 AM
game warden said to me that they have some that big around castlegar a few years back and that they firgured someone would shoot a record there.that was a few years back..

Mike I heard the same story as well..

deeks1989
02-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Mike I heard the same story as well..

Oh yes they do have some that big around here in Castlegar and Trail.
Some of the bulls that have been taken around here are jaw dropping.....
The only problem is it's so bloody hard to get the draw for these places.
But you watch this year if they decide to open up 4-08 and 4-17 there will be some massive bulls taken out of this area.

Walking Buffalo
02-23-2010, 10:27 PM
I don't know if it is still there, I have not been in Penticton for a while. There was an elk mount in a car wreckers shop in Penticton, Carmi Ave. south side. The guy shot it in Castlegar, back in about '95. His first game animal, first day of hunting, ever. Nets 406+.

I accompanied a friend, DB, who had the same draw the next year. His goal was "400 or nothing". We played cat and mouse with a 410+ herd bull for two weeks, several close calls, and a lot of adrenaline produced. DB even passed on a 375 7x7 I called into 3 yards of myself. I won't forget that day! When the rut cooled, the big guy dissappeared. No bull for DB on this hunt, but great times and great memories.

358mag
02-24-2010, 09:21 PM
I don't know if it is still there, I have not been in Penticton for a while. There was an elk mount in a car wreckers shop in Penticton, Carmi Ave. south side. The guy shot it in Castlegar, back in about '95. His first game animal, first day of hunting, ever. Nets 406+.

I accompanied a friend, DB, who had the same draw the next year. His goal was "400 or nothing". We played cat and mouse with a 410+ herd bull for two weeks, several close calls, and a lot of adrenaline produced. DB even passed on a 375 7x7 I called into 3 yards of myself. I won't forget that day! When the rut cooled, the big guy dissappeared. No bull for DB on this hunt, but great times and great memories.
And now that fine zone that was a Miro managed area for year's on LEH will now become a GOS go figure is it all about the kill or the hunt ??? and the best part for all you is that theres no guide outfitter working them fine sub zones .Lock + load

GoatGuy
02-24-2010, 09:32 PM
And now that fine zone that was a Miro managed area for year's on LEH will now become a GOS go figure is it all about the kill or the hunt ??? and the best part for all you is that theres no guide outfitter working them fine sub zones .Lock + load

Considering there's next to no hunting and very little harvest suppose it's a bit of both. :wink:

And the big bulls will still be getting shot in the GOS areas for the guys who hunt.

The Hermit
02-24-2010, 09:47 PM
There are lots of reasons why those big elk arn't being shot, the main reason is because those areas are all LEH. Its not always a serious hunter that gets the tag so an average guy see's a 300-330 bull walk up and screaming in your face and he gets all excited and shoots it.

LOL I resemble that remark!! LOL

358mag
02-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Considering there's next to no hunting and very little harvest suppose it's a bit of both. :wink:

And the big bulls will still be getting shot in the GOS areas for the guys who hunt.
And hunt we will bring it on can hardy wait , you want to pack for us ???

ElkMasterC
02-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Once we have wider, open spaces from all the catastrophic wildfires that are about to happen, thanks to The Asian Pine Beetle, thanks to our addiction to cheap Chinese garbage products, our Elk and Mule deer will be able to escape predators without running into lodgepole pine forests so thick you can't get a greased weasel through the trunks. If they can escape, they can prosper.
More fires equals bigger elk and mulies.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

400 inch elk will be dinkers in the years to come.
Yours truly,
The Amazing Kreskin

GoatGuy
02-24-2010, 10:14 PM
And hunt we will bring it on can hardy wait , you want to pack for us ???

Probably chasing sheep around swamps. If around will pack for you.

Just call.

Moose Guide
02-24-2010, 10:32 PM
The previous World Record for non-typical American elk was 465-2/8 B&C points. That bull was found dead, frozen in Upper Arrow Lake, B.C., in 1994, and was entered into Boone and Crockett Club records by the B.C. Ministry of Environment on behalf of the citizens of British Columbia.

It wasn't frozen, the elk was found about 2 weeks before the season which opens sept. 10, Thats right, girls in Nakusp were still swimming in that water!!! I still have the original newspaper article.

ElkMasterC
02-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Probably chasing sheep around swamps. If around will pack for you.

Just call.

Swamp Dalls?

GoatGuy
02-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Swamp Dalls?

Don't know never seen a wild sheep before. Heard there aren't any of them white ones in the EK. Ever seen one will post a picture of it.

GoatGuy
02-24-2010, 11:07 PM
It wasn't frozen, the elk was found about 2 weeks before the season which opens sept. 10, Thats right, girls in Nakusp were still swimming in that water!!! I still have the original newspaper article.

They're well insulated. That's part of the anti-razor zone.

Moose Guide
02-24-2010, 11:11 PM
They're well insulated. That's part of the anti-razor zone.

lol-you win:mrgreen:

ElkMasterC
02-24-2010, 11:52 PM
Don't know never seen a wild sheep before. Heard there aren't any of them white ones in the EK.

Spirit Sheep.

The next New Thing for the Anti's

If you see one in the Koots, SS and STFU.
That is all.

winbuckhunter
02-25-2010, 01:00 AM

you could deffinately be right, but i got my info from the boone and crockett website.. funny how stories change over time...

CanuckShooter
02-26-2010, 10:47 AM
I've heard several rumors over the years of other 400 inch bulls, but have never seen them materialize. One I thought was pretty intrigueing was a rumour of a 400 inch bull found dead near Horsefly. Not your typical elk country but the Quesnel herd has been pushing southward.

James Mountain, has some pretty interesting looking bulls in November. :wink:

curt
02-27-2010, 11:08 AM
The coolest thing ever for me I was heading up moose hunting 2 yrs ago driving through Lytton area early around 530 600 am. I seen a small herd of elk right beside the hwy 3 cows and a BULL!!! that damn near made me crash my truck no idea how many points i was in awe this ******* was huge freaking normous!!! Years of driving through that area never seeing sh*t for elk but always wondering because of the elk signs??? Well i seen one and he was nothing short of massive so Lytton bulls in the record book I believe it, also seen some huge elk tracks by cabin lake on the merrit side way up high in the alpine only a mtn ridge or two away from the Lytton area so they are there for sure!!

Moose Guide
02-27-2010, 02:22 PM
you could deffinately be right, but i got my info from the boone and crockett website.. funny how stories change over time...

I sent them a message but they never changed the article!
I also have a picture of my 7 mo. old son sitting between the
brow tines and a picture of myself with the rifle I won at the
RMEF banquet and those antlers, what a brute:-D

hunter1947
02-28-2010, 06:41 AM
I don't think that there is a Vancouver Island elk that scores over 400 B&C points on the Island ,I have heard of one that was around 396 B&C points im not positive on this correct me if I am wrong ???...

todbartell
02-28-2010, 11:05 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/Elk-1.jpg

7a bull from 2003. Apparently scores in the high 390 gross.

kennyj
03-01-2010, 06:13 AM
There's 400+ elk on VI.
kenny

hunter1947
03-01-2010, 06:49 AM
There's 400+ elk on VI.
kenny

Kenny is there any pictures of this Roosevelt elk and what was the final score ????.

kennyj
03-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Kenny is there any pictures of this Roosevelt elk and what was the final score ????.
Ok you caught me Wayne.The top bull from the island is 396 5/8.I'm guessing that there is 400 elk on the Island.
This one is 373 3/8 at 6 1/2 years old. They say they get bigger until 10 or so.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/elk_photos_007.jpg

todbartell
03-01-2010, 09:00 PM
awesome elk 8)

hunter1947
03-02-2010, 04:42 AM
Ok you caught me Wayne.The top bull from the island is 396 5/8.I'm guessing that there is 400 elk on the Island.
This one is 373 3/8 at 6 1/2 years old. They say they get bigger until 10 or so.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/elk_photos_007.jpg

Thanks for posting this picture up Kenny that is one dandy bull for sure http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

I'm with you in what you said that there is a 400 plus bull here on the island somewhere ,its just a matter of time before a 400+ bull is taken.

The Roosevelt elk I shot in 1988 was 10 years old right at the end of his prim http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..

bearslayer01
06-20-2010, 09:23 PM
man u guys need to get ou tmore hows about 408 sombody shoots one close to or over 400 every year hats around castlegar the draw used to be almost impossible to get but they are making it gos this year listen for some big elk going down in the west kootneys

Fisher-Dude
06-20-2010, 09:43 PM
man u guys need to get ou tmore hows about 408 sombody shoots one close to or over 400 every year hats around castlegar the draw used to be almost impossible to get but they are making it gos this year listen for some big elk going down in the west kootneys

Biggest taken in Castlegar are Braun and Stesko's 388 monsters.

hunter1947
06-21-2010, 03:21 AM

Roosevelt's and RME are two different species ,when you get a Roosevelt elk in the 370 class you have a monster on your hands ,Roosevelt elk have thick massive antlers that go from the base to the top all the way ,there antlers are reddish dark which gives them a unreal look.

The average Roosevelt elk will out weigh a RME by as much as 200 pounds ,the Roosevelt elk I shot in 1988 was 13 years old and it the 4 quarters weighed in at 850 pounds..

luckynuts
06-21-2010, 09:39 AM
awesome elk 8)

Not only an Awesome Elk but also totally awesome tiger striped camo pants and a lanford tuxedo in green! Was a real special occasion:mrgreen:

Sorry I couldn't resist. I too being from the island wore the same stuff, can't beat a stanfield and wrangler quilted jean jacket in the winter for hunting on the island.

W

WKCotts
06-21-2010, 10:01 PM
You better believe there are 400+ Elk in the WK

kootenayelkslayer
06-21-2010, 10:26 PM
This is a good thread to get started again. Could be some big bulls shot this year. A mild winter, and tons of spring feed should create some big racks for the fall. I've seen four bulls that are already 6 points, or very close to that. A couple bulls with lots of potential. Elk season can not come soon enough!

WKCotts
06-21-2010, 10:34 PM
This is a good thread to get started again. Could be some big bulls shot this year. A mild winter, and tons of spring feed should create some big racks for the fall. I've seen four bulls that are already 6 points, or very close to that. A couple bulls with lots of potential. Elk season can not come soon enough!

Just had this conversation with a buddy a few hours ago. We are both born and raised WK, can't wait to get back and in to some honey holes! We'll be scouting hard this summer. Can't wait to see some of the bulls that come out of the area.

bearslayer01
10-13-2010, 08:39 AM
i can confirm of a 400 inch bull taken by nakusp a co told mw while i was getting checkd out in west kootneys

bridger
10-13-2010, 08:45 AM

GG if you are referring to the one that showed up at the gun clubs trophy night to get measured there is now some question as to where that bull was actually killed. bridger

eastkoot
10-13-2010, 01:23 PM
A friend of a friends bull this year..409 and change, this is what they look like, yikes
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/duramaxx/IMG_3810-1.jpg

calvin L
10-13-2010, 02:19 PM
I saw a picture of a green gross 414 bull from the wk this year

Stone Sheep Steve
10-13-2010, 03:58 PM
I saw a picture of a green gross 414 bull from the wk this year

So why haven't I seen them??:twisted:

SSS

curt
10-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Funny you asked a few weeks back I saw a picture of a 397 off the pine river 7x7 beauty

338 whisper
10-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Go to wolsey in cranbrook and look at the 3 WK bull pic on the back wall by the washrooms only one is a good bull it's gross score is 372 8x7 and the others are 310+

knockturnal
10-13-2010, 06:39 PM
A friend of mine in Nelson took a 7x7 with his crossbow a few years back that scored out at 371. He also took a 9x9 with a rifle the year before that that gross scored 391. He's also been hunting another one that he figures is a 400 class bull but he's a smart ol pig. That, and he'd have to pack him out 10km or so.

calvin L
10-14-2010, 08:03 AM
SSS I do not have the ok to forward anyone the picture . It is stuck on one data base . Kinda like sheep pictures :mrgreen:

triggr31
03-30-2011, 01:51 AM
in castlegar roughly about the time they opened turkeys a set of sheds were found when i was turkey hunting was def in that 380 plus range .

hunter1947
03-30-2011, 02:13 AM
This is the place to go for your dream bull if you don't mind fighting the crowd and the only way to get away from the hunters is to back pack in many miles away from the crowd and even then you will find others there.

I don't like hunting in an area where there are lots of hunters so I don't think I will be in the WK this fall unless I can find an area there with very few hunters ???..

GoatGuy
03-30-2011, 07:26 PM
This is the place to go for your dream bull if you don't mind fighting the crowd and the only way to get away from the hunters is to back pack in many miles away from the crowd and even then you will find others there.

I don't like hunting in an area where there are lots of hunters so I don't think I will be in the WK this fall unless I can find an area there with very few hunters ???..

Not different than hunting anywhere else in the world. The masses went to the easy spots, the rest hit the bush. The WK has very few roads and lots of country compared to the rest of southern BC. If you spend your time there in the summer you'll have it figured out come fall.

hunter1947
03-31-2011, 01:12 AM
The place I have hunted for elk over my years in the EK If I head back two clicks I have never came across any hunters guess I am in an area that is far back in and more remote ???...

bcbrez
03-31-2011, 06:50 AM
There was a 405 taken 2 years ago in the west koots.

03-31-2011, 10:17 AM
There was a 405 taken 2 years ago in the west koots.

Yep, I saw that bull. It was displayed at the Trail Banquet 2 years ago.

bcbrez
03-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Yep, I saw that bull. It was displayed at the Trail Banquet 2 years ago.

That's the one.

grizzlydueck
04-05-2011, 06:53 AM
I know of 2 personaly that were taken over 400 -have fondled both -and have taken pictures of them -but they are from nothern bc ?

tankster
04-05-2011, 07:20 AM
does any cranbrook people remember that bull that was shot up teepee creek on gilnockie ridge?? it was just over 400. there were about 10 guys watching it from the norge creek closure the day before the season

hunter1947
04-06-2011, 02:24 AM
I would say that these big bulls are coming up from Montana border and they head back that way in the late season to wintering range...

wiggy
04-06-2011, 09:04 AM
heard a oldtimer found one side of a shed last year in the spring in the wk that went 256; rocky mountain elk foundation stated that they think the next wr will come from the Kechika

Fosey
04-06-2011, 11:58 AM
There was a 400 2/8 new SCI archery Roosevelt Elk shot by Brian Swift near Campbell River last year. I have some Internet pictures and the scoring sheet but don't have the slightest idea how to post.

kootenayelkslayer
04-06-2011, 12:01 PM
heard a oldtimer found one side of a shed last year in the spring in the wk that went 256; rocky mountain elk foundation stated that they think the next wr will come from the Kechika

Now that I'd have to see to believe!

hunter1947
04-07-2011, 03:58 AM
There was a 400 2/8 new SCI archery Roosevelt Elk shot by Brian Swift near Campbell River last year. I have some Internet pictures and the scoring sheet but don't have the slightest idea how to post.
I saw this picture him and his dad in a picture it was a fantastic bull he had got many times I was in this area seeing lots of Roosevelt elk bulls but never saw this one he took with his bow..

WKCotts
11-06-2012, 08:27 PM
I love this thread... thought I would bring it back from the dead again! let's hear the rumors now...

kootenayelkslayer
11-06-2012, 08:34 PM
I love this thread... thought I would bring it back from the dead again! let's hear the rumors now...
Dusting off a classic eh? I would say that this year's crop of big bull kills would be further proof that there are 400" bulls kicking around the province.

WKCotts
11-06-2012, 08:58 PM
haha that's what i had in mind when i revived her!

Dusting off a classic eh? I would say that this year's crop of big bull kills would be further proof that there are 400" bulls kicking around the province.

Vader
11-06-2012, 10:23 PM
If only those that shot em would post em...

Saw pics of two possibles this year.. a reportedly 412 rough that will net 397 most likely and a 420 (rough score) no official yet but time may tell the story.

Had my hands on a beauty 383. Not mine unfortunately but a very nice bull all the same. 52.5 inch mains and an inside spread of 41 and outside spread of 50.
Also palmed a nice 358 and a nice 367. Certainly not 400's but very respectable bulls.

mark
11-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Seems every hunter in the province has a pic of this years west kootney giant on their phone.....amazed no-one has posted it???

tracker14
11-06-2012, 10:39 PM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s455/tracker187/IMG_0420.jpg

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s455/tracker187/IMG_0419.jpg

He was the biggest one in my pasture this year.
Campbell River

Wrayzer
11-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Seems every hunter in the province has a pic of this years west kootney giant on their phone.....amazed no-one has posted it???
I've seen a few giants from there this year that'd all push 375"+ + +, they'll show up eventually, they always do on the interwebs.

OutWest
11-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Have pics of a 390 and 360 both taken by the same group in the WK.

Brez
11-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Yeah???????????????????????????.............pics?? ??????????????
Have pics of a 390 and 360 both taken by the same group in the WK.

Slinky Pickle
11-07-2012, 09:35 AM

A quick Google search turned up this.

http://www.artisticwildlifecreations.com/taxidermy-portfolio-craig-stolle-taxidermist-mounts-gameheads-birds-fish-euros-skulls-antler-carvings-wildlife-art

anotherone
11-07-2012, 09:39 AM
i have seen several in the 390's and 2 over 400., including the ones from the group that nickroth89 posted about, i have pics too, just not mine so i have no right to post them up

bighornbob
11-07-2012, 09:57 AM
I call Buulll Shite on all these big elk supposedly shot in the West Koots. I thought the GOS season was going to kill off all the bulls:)

BHB

GoatGuy
11-07-2012, 12:11 PM

There was a 400+ rosie taken on the mainland last year as well.

Surprised it hasn't hit the net or the newstand yet. Would imagine it will be out any day now.

GoatGuy
11-07-2012, 12:12 PM
I call Buulll Shite on all these big elk supposedly shot in the West Koots. I thought the GOS season was going to kill off all the bulls:)

BHB

No doubt.

All we hear is crickets......

OutWest
11-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Yeah???????????????????????????.............pics?? ??????????????

If they wanted them posted on here then they would have done it themselves.

wsm
11-07-2012, 04:47 PM
i now of one that scored 388 taken around kelowna last year

ianwuzhere
11-07-2012, 05:52 PM
all these 400" bull elk but none in the bc big game record books??? Am i missing something?
lytton produced one at 398- but was back in 1984.
three non typical ones but thats it...

i think the 140" class buck i shot would be 180" according to some people ;) ;)

dana
11-07-2012, 07:05 PM
ianwuz,
Just because some of them ain't listed in the BC record books doesn't mean they ain't listed in the B&C.

wsm
11-07-2012, 07:23 PM
all these 400" bull elk but none in the bc big game record books??? Am i missing something?
lytton produced one at 398- but was back in 1984.
three non typical ones but thats it...

i think the 140" class buck i shot would be 180" according to some people ;) ;)
i personally know a few people that have shot big bucks/ and the one big elk . i asked the if they were gonna book them . the answer i got was, NO. they said why do i need my name in a book ?

boxhitch
11-07-2012, 07:54 PM
the answer i got was, NO. they said why do i need my name in a bookThe reasons for the record book is to record the large animals taken and to serve as a recorded document giving tribute to the fine critters that are available in BC.
IMO its about the crittters not the lucky sob that happened to be in the right place at the right time. The entries could all be 'anonymous' as far as I am concerned

boxhitch
11-07-2012, 07:58 PM
rocky mountain elk foundation stated that they think the next wr will come from the Kechikawonder who paid for that advertisement ? results don't show anything toward that..

ianwuzhere
11-07-2012, 08:11 PM
ianwuz,
Just because some of them ain't listed in the BC record books doesn't mean they ain't listed in the B&C.

oh ok- i thought the bc one was just a broke down b&c book.

Wrayzer
11-07-2012, 08:22 PM
i personally know a few people that have shot big bucks/ and the one big elk . i asked the if they were gonna book them . the answer i got was, NO. they said why do i need my name in a book ?

Just had a conversation with a friend who shot a big non typ trashy whitetail he has mounted on his wall, clear 180"+, asked him the score he shrugged said never scored it but makes an great mount and the story of the hunt is one for the ages.
Not everyones out for the glory of the book so I'm not surprised a lot of these bulls shot by humble hunters have been kept quiet.

dana
11-07-2012, 09:37 PM
oh ok- i thought the bc one was just a broke down b&c book.

Nope, 2 seperate books, with 2 seperate entries. A lot of B&C animals listed in the BC Book that have never been entered in the B&C and many of the animals listed in the B&C are not in the BC Book. The last is especially true when BC animals are sold to collectors south of the border.

mark
11-07-2012, 09:39 PM
I've seen a few giants from there this year that'd all push 375"+ + +, they'll show up eventually, they always do on the interwebs.

The giant im talking about leaves all the others in the dust! WAY over 400"

OutWest
11-07-2012, 09:46 PM
The giant im talking about leaves all the others in the dust! WAY over 400"

It's an absolute stomper alright.

Mikey Rafiki
11-08-2012, 10:29 AM
So I understand nobody wanting to post these on the web but it seems like nobody cares about sending them via text or email to everyone they know. I have received a few from guys that got them from a guy that got them from a guy that is buddies with the guy that shot it. Is it that much different?

wsm
11-08-2012, 10:43 AM
wonder who paid for that advertisement ? results don't show anything toward that..
if they were my animal they would be in the book , but some old guys dont care for the book . i know some that believe that the book breeds poaching . each to their own i guess

wsm
11-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Just had a conversation with a friend who shot a big non typ trashy whitetail he has mounted on his wall, clear 180"+, asked him the score he shrugged said never scored it but makes an great mount and the story of the hunt is one for the ages.
Not everyones out for the glory of the book so I'm not surprised a lot of these bulls shot by humble hunters have been kept quiet.
i know a few in the same boat beauty rack , nice mount , never scored

Ltbullken
11-08-2012, 11:15 AM
I have not heard of any Rocky MT elk in the 400 plus taken other then the arrowhead lake bull in BC ?????,i do no that there are a few 400 plus bulls taken hear on the island ,if someone has the record book for elk maybe they can post how many were taken ,I'm sure that there are a few in the 400 plus category. hunter 1947.

It was a carcass found on the shore of Arrow Lakes (?) many many years ago and it hangs in the new Revelstoke Community Centre. If you're travelling through there, stop and have a look. Very impressive! But it is real!

Ltbullken
11-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Here's two links that shows it is real. Read down towards the bottom for some details about the Arrow Lakes Elk.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/featured_story.asp?area=news&id=36

And a photo of the rack.

http://www.gilawilderness.com/sportspg/boone%20and%20crocket%20elk%20records_files/nontypicalelk.jpg

mexican
03-03-2013, 07:52 PM
i have seen elk hanging on the hook that are close to 400 shot in northern bc,,and called in one but had no shot,,all 5 that i have seen 4 dead and one alive were all transplanted bulls,mabe 2 second generation genetics,,,all pheastoric looking bulls,,big thick almost white racks

calvin L
03-03-2013, 07:57 PM
A 411 gross came out of 4:09 last fall N/T

northernhunter
03-03-2013, 08:39 PM
The only bulls you will find close to 400 are the ones that were transplanted years ago, and are usually up the Ketchikan river and northwestern part of bc

WKCotts
03-03-2013, 08:45 PM
The only bulls you will find close to 400 are the ones that were transplanted years ago, and are usually up the Ketchikan river and northwestern part of bc

That is BS. Who the hell told you that?

Brez
03-04-2013, 08:37 AM
I totally agree!! WKC, shush!

ianwuzhere
03-04-2013, 09:23 AM
That is BS. Who the hell told you that?

haha ya i also got a kick out of that westkoots.
i bet some people even say they saw the trucks and trucks unloading them as well haha

moosinaround
03-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Ive seen a 400 plus bull running around Salmon Valley!! After the season though!!!!

ianwuzhere
03-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Ive seen a 400 plus bull running around Salmon Valley!! After the season though!!!!

haha yup, :-P must have been one of the world record ones that doesnt exist in B.C. that was transplanted in a huge tinted window reefer truck so noone knows what they are doing.

bridger
03-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Went to dawson today and stopped in at the local taxidermist shop. They had an elk in the shop killed this fall that gross scored 401 and netted 383.

moosinaround
03-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Actually seen an ass scratcher bull 2 years ago while on the LEH winter elk hunt up there! Never seen him in the GOS!! The big ones get that way for a reason!!hope I find h in 2013 GOS!! Moosin

shersty77
04-29-2013, 08:45 PM
I will put this thread to rest haha, here is my 411 net bull i took last year! When the new book comes out it will be in there,43894390 and boone and crockett

Whonnock Boy
04-29-2013, 08:51 PM
I will put this thread to rest haha, here is my 411 net bull i took last year! When the new book comes out it will be in there,43894390 and boone and crockett

Woh! Woh! Woh! You can't post itty bitty pics, and no story, and get away with it. Make it right! :-D Great bull shersty....

E.V.B.H.
04-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Was that the bull at the Fernie banquet on Saturday? If it is it didn't even look real, never seen anything like it! It looked like a moose/elk hybrid!

WKCotts
04-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Haha atta boy. Glad you posted the pics before someone else did. Congrats that is a hell of a bull, not only for BC but anywhere. Do you have the taxi back on it?

P

BlacktailStalker
04-29-2013, 09:18 PM
It's been on here before, great bull, hard to fathom the mass on that thing. You're lucky the old timers shot wasn't fatal two days prior though !
I heard the bullet was still in it ? Must be a good hunting partner to reveal the events that day. Post up pics when its mounted.

Rackmastr
04-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Awesome bull! Saw it at Fernie and actually guessed pretty close with a 408 7/8th and a 412 0/8" guess on the net NT score. Congrats on a stud of a bull!

WKCotts
04-29-2013, 09:31 PM
So does the arrow lakes bull if you've seen it in person

Was that the bull at the Fernie banquet on Saturday? If it is it didn't even look real, never seen anything like it! It looked like a moose/elk hybrid!

knightcc
04-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Congrats on a great, great bull. Unbelievable mass. Nice to see they are walking around in BC

.300WSMImpact!
03-09-2014, 08:46 PM
sad to here after the years of the west koot slaughter there is no 400 class elk left in BC, I guess the next trophy will have to be squirrels, (or to bring back a cool thread)

Chopper
03-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Ya for sure ... I think the island Roosevelt grosses over 400 ... just checked , The Roosevelt Brian Swift took with his bow went 400 2/8 on Vancouver island

http://canadianhuntingbc.com/bc-roosevelt-elk-hunting-british-columbia-canada.htm

http://gothunts.com/roosevelt-elk-hunting-british-columbia/

http://www.artisticwildlifecreations.com/taxidermy-portfolio-craig-stolle-taxidermist-mounts-gameheads-birds-fish-euros-skulls-antler-carvings-wildlife-art

aamenta
03-10-2014, 09:09 AM
How's the population in Region 8? And where could I find the record books for that area?

.300WSMImpact!
03-10-2014, 06:27 PM
How's the population in Region 8? And where could I find the record books for that area?

there is a few elk in region 8, but high hunting keeps the bulls small

wiggy
03-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Was told the Guys up at scoop had a client chase around a 400 plus. They saw over 35 trophy bulls on the hunt. The first time they saw this guy they quit looking at all the other ones. They never caught up to him. Their charging 10 k for the hunt. That's one of the most expensive elk hunts on the planet. I've seen quite a few pics of bulls up that way that are all book bulls when I worked with mossy oak

pescado
03-12-2014, 09:50 PM
So does the arrow lakes bull if you've seen it in person

That bull sure had some stuff going on up top. Last time I saw it it was at the Revelstoke rec complex.

leadpillproductions
03-12-2014, 10:23 PM
There some big ones up there my brother killed a 360+ close to there
Was told the Guys up at scoop had a client chase around a 400 plus. They saw over 35 trophy bulls on the hunt. The first time they saw this guy they quit looking at all the other ones. They never caught up to him. Their charging 10 k for the hunt. That's one of the most expensive elk hunts on the planet. I've seen quite a few pics of bulls up that way that are all book bulls when I worked with mossy oak

colemanwsm
06-28-2014, 11:21 PM
4909not 400 class but respectable northern bc bull4910