PDA

View Full Version : Globalstar vs Iridium sat phones

hunter fisher
05-31-2014, 08:50 PM
does anyone have any experience with either of these companies and there phones/coverage areas?
im wanting to buy a sat phone for hunting emergencies, but never having owned one, im not sure what to look for. i think im leaning towards the globalstar 1700, affordable and a good coverage map for north america, but ive read its reliability isnt as good as its competator Iridium.
also, does anyone have any experience with SPOT?

thanks for the input

dabber
06-01-2014, 09:39 PM
I have an older Global Star, at first it was great, never had to wait for service. I think they lost some satellites for a few years so you had to wait for service and would loose signal.
They have alot better service now, and seems to be getting better all the time. Works well for me.

headhunter2
06-01-2014, 10:01 PM
I also have an older global star 1600. I understand their satellites were repositioned years ago for the war and some became outdated. They have added new ones and most times I check I get service. I use mine when prospecting in the summer so have just checked it out sometimes over this winter. There is still some short spots (seems very short) but the plus side is most people I talk to say it sounds like I am just in the next room. They probably have the best rates as they are trying to pick up the customers they lost for lack of service.

rifleman
06-02-2014, 07:58 AM
I have used both sat phones. iridium is by far the more reliable. If you need a sat phone for emergency you don't want to have to wait for a signal or loose a signal during your call. Get an Iridium. There is one on here for sale somewhere.
I have a spot gen 2. with texting. great for short messages to whom ever. you need a smart phone with bluetooth for texting. I have my spot on me at all times when guiding. and extra batteries.

Squire
06-02-2014, 08:48 AM
I have used both sat phones. iridium is by far the more reliable. If you need a sat phone for emergency you don't want to have to wait for a signal or loose a signal during your call. Get an Iridium. There is one on here for sale somewhere.
I have a spot gen 2. with texting. great for short messages to whom ever. you need a smart phone with bluetooth for texting. I have my spot on me at all times when guiding. and extra batteries.

The Iridium is no longer any more reliable than the Globalstar. Just five years ago a Globalstar worked for an average 10 minutes of every hour while the Iridium didn't experience any gaps. Globalstar actually had a website with call times posted by area; this website is no longer necessary and has been taken down as the phone works virtually all the time in its coverage areas. They both have 'dead spots' where you have to drive around the corner or a kilometer or so down the road to find service. Both are capable of dropping calls. I think the Globalstar has clearer reception as I speak to contractors on both brands regularly and keep a Globalstar in my pickup when I'm in the field. My road building contractor just recently switched both his sat phones over from Iridium to Globalstar.
In an emergency I would prefer the Globalstar for ease of use. The Iridium requires an access code for your service area while you dial the Globalstar just like a land line or cell phone (1+ area code + number). When someone is injured in a forestry accident you don't want a person unfamiliar with the phone unable to figure out how to use it. We do go over the use of both phones in our tailgate safety meetings but in a panic situation you never know what is going to happen or who will be tasked with making the call.
Bottom line is that they are both reliable now. Choose the one you like with the best price/rates.