PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunt/camping holiday...north or south

thepitchedlink
05-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Ok, haven't managed to kill an elk yet...really would like to. So if I'm going to plan a trip, with 2 families, 4 little kids, 3 dogs...you get the picture. Would you guys suggest the EK, or north to FT ST John or Tumbler ridge area. We've both got pull behind tent trailers, bikes, motor bike, canoes etc... Just looking for somewhere to base out of for a week or so, where buddy and I can slip away in the morning/evening and have a half decent chance of at these hearing a legal beast....somewhere on the water would be good for keeping kiddies busy.....thanks fella

Pitched

Mikey Rafiki
05-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Looking at the piss cutter bull a buddy got in the Tumbler area last year I would certainly consider heading north. Then you can hit the open moose zones too and you won't be tripping over as many people as you will around here. Especially with a larger group of campers it will be hard to find a quiet place by the lake if you are looking for that sort of thing.

.300WSMImpact!
05-31-2014, 08:31 AM
I have never been north, but I can agree with Mikey, it gets busy in places in the koots, which makes it hard for non full day hunts as the elk are pushed deep away from the roads, not saying the koots is not the place to go, lots of stuff for the kids to do while your gone, good luck on your hunt have fun, if you go up north I would love to here how it is

rides bike to work
05-31-2014, 09:21 PM
I took the family to canal flats two years ago we camped in the white swan area by a couple gravel piles. 5 minute drive to the hot springs wich was great for everyone. Kids played on the gravel piles all day. Had white tails in the campsite everyday and took two does on our last day. Heard elk bugle from campsite one evening. Spotted two large grizz about 4km from the camp site the size of volkswagons.me and my dad hunted mornings and evenings but skipped a few mornings and evenings. We where onto the elk the last three days we probably could have done button the last evening it was my moms birthday so we had to skip that evening hunt then the next morning we spotted the elk about a km away at 9:30 am and had promised the wife's we'd be back by 10:30 to pack up my dad being old and wise pulled the pin and we headed home. Went back the next year without wife's and kids and had a bull down within three days. Different spot though.

rides bike to work
05-31-2014, 09:25 PM
Oh ya never been up north. To far to drive with gas prices.will have to one day when I get a hair cut and get a real job.

squeege
06-03-2014, 09:17 PM
No elk up north. Go to the Kootneys.

moosinaround
06-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Your in lumby, and you want to drive north?? Kootenys is the direction to go! You may not mind the black flies, but I am sure the wife and kids will hate them, specially in the tent trailer! Not much for swimmin holes either, unless moberly lake, or peace arm tickle yer fancy. If you go north leave momma and the kids at home, just saying! Oh, not as much elbow room during elk season up north as folks say, oil/gas, site c hydro, hunters, coal mining, locals equals crowded! Moosin

hunter1947
06-04-2014, 03:34 AM
If me I would head north and try up there if you don't know any places to hunt in the EK that have low numbers of hunters within the area
as a few members have said it gets crazy in the EK with hunters in lots of areas during hunting season..

thepitchedlink
06-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the replays guys, keep'em coming. I'd dearly like to come to the EK, closer to drive for sure, but just sounds busy....I do like the idea of Canal Flats and the hotsprings...

gutpile
06-30-2014, 06:22 PM
What About the west koots try there

thepitchedlink
06-30-2014, 09:08 PM
The west koots is where we usually go....just want to try some place with higher elk numbers

boxhitch
07-01-2014, 06:19 AM
It only takes one. And being closer to home allows for a whole lot more pre-scouting . Just 'going north' is no guarantee of success, it still takes homework.
IMHO you are trying to do too much at once , with taking the families and pets. That would be good for a holiday and some serious exploring , but then pare it down and concentrate on the hunt .

The Hermit
07-01-2014, 06:32 AM
Try Ft Nelson area along the rivers, moose and elk. Kids will love getting away with the other kids regardless of where you go, and you and your buddy will enjoy the solitude and the feeling of truly being out there. However, Cranbrook does have a pool and great Starbucks! :-)

J_T
07-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Just following up on a couple of comments Hermit and Boxhitch make. I agree, it sounds like you might be trying to do too much. However... my thoughts:
West Kootenay - high value on family time. Camp at Kokanee / Sandspit. Kids and wives will love you. Kokanee are running, great lake, best beach in the province, close to Ainsworth hotsprings and for your hunting, 4-18 is 5 minutes away. Hunt until 9AM, be back for breakfast, nap on the beach spend time with the family and be ready for an evening hunt. Quality balance. If the ladies want to shop, you can't beat Nelson.

East Kootenay - mid value on family time. Only because there are so many place to camp and there will be other campers. But, it will feel a bit more like rustic camping. Horseshoe lake or any of the lakes downstream and toward the border, Koocanusa.

North - simply too far to put the wives and kids through it. Much more of a hunt and lower on the family time.

I understand your want to make this family time. It's basically how I raised my kids. If you want to continue to have the blessings of the wife to hunt, go for the high value or mid value family time.

OutWest
07-01-2014, 09:10 AM
The west koots is where we usually go....just want to try some place with higher elk numbers

Loads of elk in the WK and lots of places where you can get into them right away. Living in Lumby that's where I would be headed. There's great camping/fishing/rec time for the family and you and your buddy can chase elk around close to camp.

thepitchedlink
07-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys, great points. West koots it is!!!!

j270wsm
07-01-2014, 05:57 PM
East kootenay's isn't quite as busy as everyone says it is. Cranbrook does have a nice pool but they charge a stupid amount for people that live outside the city limits.

palmer
07-05-2014, 03:20 PM
PM sent regarding Christina lake ..may fit what U want

Bobfl
07-06-2014, 09:20 PM
The del rio out of chetwyn pulls many good bulls and you can camp on the Moberly or the del rio side. Lots of elk moose muleys and whiteys.

hunter1993ap
07-06-2014, 09:46 PM
the north guys will tell you to go to the kootenays, the east kootenay guys will tell you to go north or west. the west kootenay guys will tell you to go east, or north or theres no elk left after the gos slaughter. pick an area and hit it hard, the effort you put in will determine how successful you are.