PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable life vests

Fisher-Dude
05-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Whatcha got? What's good? What sucks? What's worth the money and what isn't?

The better half and I are thinkin' it's time to ditch the old Stearns and get with the new century.

longstonec
05-28-2014, 08:44 PM
They are the way to go. The auto inflators have gotten much better in the last few years. I had a couple of the first couple models go off on me in the pouring rain. Always a bit of a shock. been about ten years of solid use since then.

for something like a canoe or slow boat you are less likely to need an auto inflater BUT. If you fall in and are knocked out... they are useless. Hence why I wear auto inflator. I have used Mustangs and Nautilus. both are comfy and I think are the main two brands right now. Get them in a dark colour as the sun will degrade the red ones faster then black and once they are inflated its bright yellow anyways. about 35$ to re-arm them if they go off.

For the comfort and safety a couple hundred bucks is nothing.

Johnny G1
05-28-2014, 08:48 PM
WSS has the manual inflator's on sale this week according to a flyer that they sent me, I went Mustang auto for a vest, very comfortable to wear, on my third yr now and no problems out in the rain.

longstonec
05-28-2014, 08:50 PM
WSS has the manual inflator's on sale this week according to a flyer that they sent me, I went Mustang auto for a vest, very comfortable to wear, on my third yr now and no problems out in the rain.

Also... dont get a crab trap hung up in the pull cord when moving around in the boat... again... abit of a shock.

lineofsight
05-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Mustang, went with non-auto as am in and out the water a lot (small kids) without wanting the buoyancy and when do something riskier then usually wear normal vest (but if wear on ocean or under conditions where could hit head or help some time away then would recommend auto inflate). Have a look at the Mustang website, every so often are various coupons. Found re-arms at boat shows for $25.

BRvalley
05-28-2014, 09:01 PM
mustang non auto myself, but thinking I may buy an auto version this year...if you smash your head on the way in the water, manual inflate won't do you any favours

if anybody purchased a mustang auto in the second half of 2012, worthwhile to check out the notice they put out recently

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/sites/default/files/pdf/Mustang%20Survival%20HIT%20Inflatable%20PFD%20Safe ty%20Advisory%20-%20CAN%20Consumer%20ALERT%2004Sept2012.pdf

Whonnock Boy
05-28-2014, 09:11 PM
I've got a handful of Mustang MD 3010's sitting in the basement. The charges need updating but, for the most part they are all like new. Drop me a line if you find you are interested, and want to swing a deal.

longstonec
05-28-2014, 09:13 PM
how many is a handful

Whonnock Boy
05-28-2014, 09:25 PM
how many is a handful
5....................... sorry to derail. :-|

longstonec
05-28-2014, 09:32 PM
I dont think that counts as derailing.

landphil
05-28-2014, 09:53 PM
I've got a Mustang inflatable fly vest, manual. I figure the chances of hitting my head and rattling my hamster off the wheel are pretty low in a float tube, low enough I'm happy with it. Unless the requirements have changed in the last couple years, inflatable vests do not meet Transport Canada definitions of a PFD though, so are only acceptable in addition to an approved PFD.

Sitkaspruce
05-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Mustangs like everyone else. We have the auto inflate being that we were always on the ocean and wanted something on the chance we did not have our witts about us.

Make sure they are CCG approved as the USCG approved ones from the states are not accepted up here.....don't know why, but have been told that there is different standards to testing......what ever that means.

Get the neoprean/fleece collars for comfort and test it out to make sure you understand how it works and to ensure everything is working. In the water is not a good time to find out you have a bad seal.......

FD, spend the $$$ and get a good one that is comfortable and fits you. Try some different ones out to see.

Cheers

SS

358mag
05-28-2014, 09:54 PM

The better half and I are thinkin' it's time to ditch the old Stearns and get with the new century.
Better re-check the reg's F-D you don't need life vest when road hunting you just have to use seat belts .......:-?

Sitkaspruce
05-28-2014, 09:56 PM
I've got a Mustang inflatable fly vest, manual. I figure the chances of hitting my head and rattling my hamster off the wheel are pretty low in a float tube, low enough I'm happy with it. Unless the requirements have changed in the last couple years, inflatable vests do not meet Transport Canada definitions of a PFD though, so are only acceptable in addition to an approved PFD.

Was changed in 2012, they are now accepted as PFD, but only if you are wearing it. Tucked in the corner does not count for inflatables as a PFD.

Cheers

SS

landphil
05-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Was changed in 2012, they are now accepted as PFD, but only if you are wearing it. Tucked in the corner does not count for inflatables as a PFD.

Cheers

SS
Good to know, do you happen to know if that applies to older inflatables? I wear it all the time, so no issue there.

Big Lew
05-28-2014, 10:04 PM
question to "longstonec"
'for something like a canoe or slow boat you are less likely to need an auto inflater BUT. If you fall in and are knocked out... they are useless.'
Do you mean that the manuals or regular life vests are useless if you're knocked out? I'm assuming that's what you meant. I've been involved with an incident where a fellow was thrown from his boat in rough waters and was nearly knocked out. He was fortunate he was able to wrap his bow rope around his arm before he passed out. Had he been unconscious from the blow to his head an auto inflater most likely would have saved his life.

REMINGTON JIM
05-28-2014, 10:12 PM
I just bought a Mustang PFD Model MD2015 (manual) for $103.99 + 5 % tax = Total $109.19 A VERY good buy ! :wink: RJ

wrenchhead
05-28-2014, 10:21 PM
Happens every year where guys fall off the boat pissin off the side, the auto one would be nice if you don't have time to take your hand off your junk.

heyblast
05-29-2014, 06:09 AM
Buy auto inflate and de arm when you don't want the auto inflate feature. Also don't wear anything over the vest.

huntingtime
05-29-2014, 08:07 AM
Buy auto inflate and de arm when you don't want the auto inflate feature. Also don't wear anything over the vest.

How do you de arm them once set up?

boxhitch
05-29-2014, 08:09 AM
Manual inflate is kind of useless when the surprise dunking takes your breath away , and that last gulp is water instead of air.
So the choice really is to what serves your needs better .

I did some looking into these when we bought our kayak . Lots of info on youtube , but not canuck specific

from the TC site

You should also check which boating activities they are approved for, under the Small Vessel Regulations. For example, people less than 16 years of age or who weigh less than 36.3 kg (80 lbs.), and operators of personal watercraft are prohibited from wearing an inflatable PFD.

huntingtime
05-29-2014, 08:09 AM
I have a couple of the mustang auto inflate. They are nice. I had one go off last year while out duck hunting it was sitting in the bottom of the boat with a little too much rain I guess. I have not replaced the cartridge system yet but it looks like it will be about 70 bucks to do so. Kinda steep IMO. Also the cartridges need to be replaced every 5 years or so I think. I may be wrong on the amount of time.

longstonec
05-29-2014, 08:20 AM
question to "longstonec"
'for something like a canoe or slow boat you are less likely to need an auto inflater BUT. If you fall in and are knocked out... they are useless.'
Do you mean that the manuals or regular life vests are useless if you're knocked out? I'm assuming that's what you meant. I've been involved with an incident where a fellow was thrown from his boat in rough waters and was nearly knocked out. He was fortunate he was able to wrap his bow rope around his arm before he passed out. Had he been unconscious from the blow to his head an auto inflater most likely would have saved his life.

I meant that the manual pull inflators are useless if your crack your noggin while exiting the boat as you have to pull them - as you correctly assumed!-

I havent gone swimming by accident with either type yet. I did have a auto inflator on when I went in after a clients rod last summer... forgot I was even wearing it until... PPPPPHHHHHSSSHSHSHSHSHHSHHTTTTT!!!!

Spirit's Master
05-29-2014, 08:32 AM
Going on 8 yrs with the Auto-inflating Mustang models. We've upgraded to the new generation recently. Considering the price of everything else that we buy for the boat.... about $200 is well worth the safety and convenience. Like a good helmet for riding, a well fit comfortable PFD is priceless. As others have said you have to be a little careful with the 'PULL HERE' thingy, but after a while it's just another thing you're always aware of.

We don't leave the dock without them on.

cwf

jrjonesy
05-29-2014, 08:40 AM
http://www.stearnsflotation.com/33-Gram-Manual-Fishing-Vest-P100.aspx#.U4dUik3n-M8

I really like my Stearns inflatable. Checked it the other night at it has the Canadiana approvals.

GoatGuy
05-29-2014, 12:37 PM

Only need a life jacket if you're planning on falling in. Secondly, you'll have to get into something better than knee deep water or actually fish in moving water. If you're that worried you should get a life jacket for that mangy coyote of yours as well.

heyblast
05-29-2014, 05:45 PM
How do you de arm them once set up?

Mine are from Cabelas and I can take the puck out and use the pull cord to manually inflate. Don't know about other makes or models.

Jager
05-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Was able to get a manual stearns at Wally World for $50 (end of season clearance rack). Saved my bacon when I flipped a kayak in the salt. Took a moment to gather my senses and pull the cord but it certainly worked well when I did. I suggest getting familiar with the location of the pull cord every time you put it on until it becomes second nature. I have no experience with the auto inflators but like the fact that they would inflate if you were unconscious. What keeps them from inflating during a west coast monsoon?

boxhitch
05-30-2014, 06:08 AM
Some makes react to water pressure and have to be submersed by a few inches to be activated .
Others rely on a dissolving tablet , which over time has been improved by shielding to be resistant to rainfall .
New models are superior to any older ones , from what I have read. No experience here.

Sasquatch
06-02-2014, 04:20 PM
What keeps them from inflating during a west coast monsoon?

That's what I'm wondering, just how much rain does it take to set one of these off? I fish the chuck alone often and am thinking I should upgrade for the comfort if nothing else.

ratherbeshooting
06-03-2014, 01:39 PM
I wear a Mustang HIT extensively for both work and pleasure and have never had it go off due to rain (nor splashing for that matter). This is west coast and central coast rain too... I can't imagine leaving the dock without one on these days.

Fisher-Dude
06-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks everyone. We're going to try on the Mustangs and probably go that route.

landphil
06-10-2014, 10:09 PM
As a side note along the lines of my earlier comment, my older Mustang inflatable fly vest specifically states on the label that it is not an approved flotation device and is not recognized by Transport Canada, while I'll still use it, I need to carry a PFD in the boat to meet legal requirements. The point is, check your inflatable to see if it meets requirements, don't assume.

Fisher-Dude
07-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Just picked up a couple of Mustang selfies at WSS, 25% off.

Thanks again for everyone's input, we were reading this post as we sorted through the various models!