PDA

View Full Version : DIY Target

mcmullmar
05-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Hi All,

I have been shooting my bow into a bought target that is suppose to stop up to 400 FSP arrows in my basement. I now have my bow turned up as to where the arrows are staring to go right through the target and hitting the wall. Wife is not happy.
I made a pellet trap out of the rubber pieces you put into playgrounds as ground cover. It stops the .22 cal @ 900 FPS. I did shoot my bow into it to see and it stopped it better than the bought target. I'm just wondering if you think these rubber pieces will hurt the carbon arrows at all?

Thanks

Foxtail
05-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Should be fine. As long as there's no metal or hard bits in there.

mcmullmar
05-29-2014, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback foxtail. There should be none, they use the stuff for playgrounds. May be I'll try and select a couple arrows and only use them and see what happens

BiG Boar
05-29-2014, 07:51 AM
I'd definitley bend test the arrows each time. It sounds dangerous to me for some reason.

Aaron Evans
05-29-2014, 09:12 AM
For field tips. Wadded up shrinkwrap stops everything.
I build box targets and fill them with rags or shrink wrap.

Kudu
05-29-2014, 09:19 AM
Old conveyor belting against the wall behind your target - will keep you in marital bliss...........

nomad
05-29-2014, 12:53 PM
If you can rig your target up to swing freely it will absorb the energy much better! I use a burlap sack stuffed with as many plastic bags (white grocery bags) as I can fit. If I hang it, no problem catching arrows. Sitting on the ground goes half way or pass thru! Used to hang tennis balls too! Those are fun! Catch arrows nicely and spin around the bar like a swing set!

afflicted 1
05-29-2014, 05:07 PM
I use a store bought replacement bag target from whole sale sports it's about 2'x2' I don't remember the name. I stuff it full of plastic, the best is the wrap off of insulation like pink panther or thick poly. Mine has stoped thousands of arrows.

Ddog
05-29-2014, 05:26 PM
as a 20 plus year archer i have pretty much experimented with everything, if you are shooting in the basement, the swinging type is your best bet, if you can hang your target so it absorbs more of the impact of the arrow by swinging when hit then thats perfect.
i use the small burlap bags they also use for sandbagging, i stuff them full of shrink wrap, any warehouse that packages and unpackages pallets would have tons of that stuff hanging around that would be garbage, stuff the bag full and then add more. It will absorb any impact from any arrow if its done properly.

mcmullmar
05-30-2014, 01:21 PM
Thank you for the input :-D

sobirch
05-30-2014, 10:21 PM
here is my target, and a link to old thread

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?34445-Home-made-archery-target

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/P4220020_edited-1.JPG

itsy bitsy xj
05-30-2014, 11:35 PM
i use the small burlap bags they also use for sandbagging, i stuff them full of shrink wrap, any warehouse that packages and unpackages pallets would have tons of that stuff hanging around that would be garbage, stuff the bag full and then add more. It will absorb any impact from any arrow if its done properly.

I bought some big burlap sacks at priness auto for $2 and stuffed them with used pallet wrap