PDA

View Full Version : Want to get my PAL

Nbergs
05-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Hey everyone,

I have wanted to take up hunting for a number of years now but have never had anyone to go with. Now a bunch of my friends are getting into it so I finally have my opportunity. I want to begin by getting my PAL but was wondering if anyone could tell me of a few places that are the most cost effective places to take your CFSC as I would rather save where I can so I have more money to spend on rifle and gear? I hope you guys can help a newbie out with some great advice? Thanks everyone and have a good day! God bless!

Drillbit
05-28-2014, 02:58 PM
It's probably free in Quebec.

Where do you want to take the course?

Nbergs
05-28-2014, 03:58 PM

Where do you want to take the course?

Well preferably in BC and in the lower mainland since a flight to Quebec would be more costly then any CFSC course.

mike-juliet
05-28-2014, 04:10 PM
Look no farther, Kent Archibald in Surrey

http://firearmsafetytrainingcourse.com/

Nbergs
05-28-2014, 04:35 PM
Look no farther, Kent Archibald in Surrey

http://firearmsafetytrainingcourse.com/

He is expensive! Almost $60-85 more then everywhere else. Most places are from $175-200.

dakoda62
05-28-2014, 05:06 PM
If you are in the Okanagan it can be " inexpensive" Membership to a Rod and Gun club plus the course will run about $120.

Mulehahn
05-28-2014, 05:43 PM
Do you have any experience with firearms? The course is not overly complicated, if you study the book and have some practical knowledge you should be able to challenge and pass. Maybe talk to Silvercore, they are flexible. There also used to be a couple that taught in Langley (I forget their name, hopefully someone can chime in if they are still in business), they were very good.

Everett
05-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Read the book and challenge the exam a ******ed monkey could pass that mickey mouse exam. I believe Silvercore in the LML does challenges.

x0ra
05-28-2014, 06:18 PM
In which world do you live ? There is really *nothing* free in Quebec... you got to fund that nanny province :-/

MichelD
05-28-2014, 06:34 PM
Do you know any hunters?

I had a young buddy who wanted to take it up so I told him to read the book and he came over and we went over the basics of how each type of action worked and he went and challenged the exam and passed with flying colours. Examiner told him he had a good instructor too.

Otherwise contact Phoneguy on this site. I think he teaches. Nothing wrong with getting professional instruction when to comes to firearms.

keoke
05-28-2014, 06:36 PM
He is expensive! Almost $60-85 more then everywhere else. Most places are from $175-200.

Cheap and hunting dont really go together these days.

olympia
05-28-2014, 09:12 PM
why don't you ask your friends if they have don't it, you did say they were into it? lol is it a big secret amongst them that they cant tell you where they did their core exam? If you live in the Lower Mainland try Silvercore or try your friends if they don't tell you get new friends.

Nbergs
05-28-2014, 10:37 PM
why don't you ask your friends if they have don't it, you did say they were into it? lol is it a big secret amongst them that they cant tell you where they did their core exam? If you live in the Lower Mainland try Silvercore or try your friends if they don't tell you get new friends.

I did did ask them. They both went to silvercore. Just wondering if anyone knew of any other places that may be a bit cheaper?

Drillbit
05-28-2014, 10:43 PM
In which world do you live ? There is really *nothing* free in Quebec... you got to fund that nanny province :-/

The OP didn't have a location in his post or in his member "about me", was just trying to find out where he wanted to take the course.

In the world I live in, the West sponsors Quebec.

Gone_Fishin_
05-29-2014, 08:22 AM
I did did ask them. They both went to silvercore. Just wondering if anyone knew of any other places that may be a bit cheaper?

Chilliwack Dart and Tackle, if i remember correctly it was 115$ or something around that range for the PAL course.

Yarrow Gunworks teaches the course too. I'm sure he also allows ppl to challenge the test.

caddisguy
05-29-2014, 11:10 AM
I just read the books and challenged the exams. I think it was $15 for each test (restricted/non-restricted). It was close to 10 years ago, but I doubt the costs have gone up. One read-through of the book(s), memorize what "ACTS" and "PROVE" stand for and you'll be good to go.

Phoneguy
05-30-2014, 12:20 AM
Do you know any hunters?

I had a young buddy who wanted to take it up so I told him to read the book and he came over and we went over the basics of how each type of action worked and he went and challenged the exam and passed with flying colours. Examiner told him he had a good instructor too.

Otherwise contact Phoneguy on this site. I think he teaches. Nothing wrong with getting professional instruction when to comes to firearms.

Yup, I instruct too. Most of the time it is through Hub sports in Abbotsford. I also instruct at Sapperton Fish and Game in New West, when we get the numbers to run a course.

James

sparkes3
05-30-2014, 10:29 PM
canadian firearms academy in surrey

sparkes3
05-30-2014, 10:30 PM
the couple in langley that teach the coarse in langley is glen and marlene goldsack

kgs
05-31-2014, 08:27 AM
if you have absolutely no experience with firearms I would recommend going to Silvercore. It is my understanding that they offer a more comprehensive course based on safety and actual gun handling. As someone who has no knowledge or experience in handling guns this course would be the right one as there is nothing like having a good foundation on gun handling and safety. I say this because you only need to take the course once after that its up to you to be a responsible gun owner. So it would be a smart investment regardless of the cost. As for saving for a gun and equipment you have the rest of your life to do that as safe handling of guns and the knowledge you learn now will be that first important investment you make that will last a life time.

Phoneguy
06-02-2014, 08:34 AM
if you have absolutely no experience with firearms I would recommend going to Silvercore. It is my understanding that they offer a more comprehensive course based on safety and actual gun handling. As someone who has no knowledge or experience in handling guns this course would be the right one as there is nothing like having a good foundation on gun handling and safety. I say this because you only need to take the course once after that its up to you to be a responsible gun owner. So it would be a smart investment regardless of the cost. As for saving for a gun and equipment you have the rest of your life to do that as safe handling of guns and the knowledge you learn now will be that first important investment you make that will last a life time.

This is good advice. I don't teach for Silvercore. There are places around the lower mainland that offer the course. They all have their plus and minus's. On a challenge I find that most people do okay on the written part (if they are motivated) but will struggle with handling if they don't have the exposure to firearms. It is a federal government exam and course expectations. Can you do ACTS and PROVE on the five different actions? We don't expect you to be an expert with the particular model of firearms you are being tested on, but (for example) if I were to ask you to "using safe handling procedures pick up the semi automatic firearm" would you know all the steps and be able to demonstrate them safely?
If you can answer yes, a challenge may be fine. I have had experienced people come through who have been required to for various reasons. Many of them have commented, that never occurred to me, makes sense and I have been doing it wrong for a long time.

James

jhausner
06-02-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm not familiar with any other programs other than what Silvercore teaches (all their courses). The benefit I found with Silvercore (and you will pay they aren't by far the cheapest out there) is you can do a combined PAL course so at the end you get your Restricted and Unrestricted PAL for in essence the price of a single Unrestricted course at other teaching places. And really the Res/Unres tests are the same except for the handgun portion so I have recommended all my friends go that route just to have it even if they will never own a restricted firearm. That and if we go to the range with mine I know they at least have some teachings on handling a handgun when they are firing mine.

I would strongly recommend against challenging if you 1) don't have much or any experience around firearms and 2) don't have friends that are very experienced with them. Handling firearms is very serious business and even though some may think the course to be a "joke", I still think you should take it very seriously so that you minimize the risks to you and your friends while out in the field. I have found with my own experience that you really use maybe 15-25% of the material covered if you simply go from your home to the firing range but when hunting you use far more upwards of 75% or more of the material covered regarding firearms so if you were just going to the range, I'd still recommend some more formal training but not as much as if you end up going hunting. You want the firearms topics like ACTS and PROVE to be second nature when you're out in the bush hunting where adrenalin is at high levels and help can be 4+ hours away.

If we want a reminder about how important firearm safety as a foundation is we just have to look at the American shot and killed recently on a guided Grizzly trip up in Tahtsa Reach FSA.

So I’d strongly recommend looking at Silvercore or any other instructor with a lot of experience and skip the challenge route. Though it may be cheaper, you don’t want to cheap out on this stuff imho. It’s a 1 time investment for a lifetime of potential fun. Hell the firearms course is 1/3rd the cost of a single 3 credit course at BCIT.

quaint bucket
06-02-2014, 12:23 PM
if you haven't challenged or signed up yet...

westcoastinstructions in maple ridge is also a good option. I took mine there and I qualify for the one time 10% discount from Wanstalls.

Don't know if they still offer that. Ask.