PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips for Bear hunting would be greatly appreciated

heatherdaddy
05-27-2014, 07:04 AM
I am planning on going out again next weekend for another bear hunt, and would greatly appreciate any tips to get one. The one thing I do know is to put lots of miles on the boots, which I have been doing but still no luck. Should I be trying the road that is gated off and locked where no one can drive because of active logging or should I try the old logging roads that everyone else can access, I was thinking there might be more success if I try where no one else goes except by walking but not sure about that. I saw signs on both roads, but more signs on the roads that weren't gated off. Any help at all would be appreciated as I really want to get a bear this spring.

Thanks

two-feet
05-27-2014, 07:12 AM
try pipelines or powerlines, lots of grass and good bear habitat. hunt the wind and good luck

Blainer
05-27-2014, 07:19 AM
get up into a good vantage point & glass.
look for south facing slopes with lot's of green.
more time glassing, less time walking

digger dogger
05-27-2014, 07:32 AM
Get away from Skagit Man!!!
Its one of the first valleys from the coast thats huntable!!(lots of pressure)
And the bush is so bloody dense. Better luck going further east.
Think, if fuel is too much to go further east, u will prob burn more fuel going back and forth to skagit, with very little chance at a descent bear compared to heading towards the desert.

steel_ram
05-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Just get out there where there are bears, enjoy yourself. They are just bears. No real skill involved.

"The obvious is least expected". Check out those little cut blocks that everyone else blasts by on there quest to the "end of the road" new country. Those will be your honey holes.

Ltbullken
05-27-2014, 09:07 AM
Look for a quiet or abandoned logging road with lots of grass and young clover growing along side it and slowly walk it out. Chances are you'll see lots of bear scat along the way. If you do, it's worth working. Same for open areas or cut blocks where you find lots of patches of young clover. Bears love that stuff in the spring.

Drillbit
05-27-2014, 09:46 AM
Don't bother walking with the wind. Waste of time.

If you're driving with the wind you have to be fast to get out and shoot.

Downtown
05-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Hunt into the Wind---------Find fairly fresh Scat----------Get to a vantage point------Sit down & Glas, Glas, Glas and glas some more. While early and late morning hunts are good, some of the nicest Black Bears get shot between 11 Am to 2 Pm.

Good Luck

Ron.C
05-27-2014, 12:16 PM
Don't be in a rush to shoot a bear. I can`t count the times I`ve stopped to glass a bear only to see cubs on closer inspection. There`s lots of bears out there, so loosing an opportunity making sure its a lone bear isn`t that big of a deal.

caddisguy
05-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Don't bother walking with the wind. Waste of time.

If you're driving with the wind you have to be fast to get out and shoot.

Agreed. I see way more bears from the jeep if I'm whipping through trails versus creeping and crawling. Of course they're always running for their life. I also have an old fly-fishing reel that sounds like an injured duck which inadvertently calls in curious black bears within petting distance. All good tips!

I've been so busy with working and moving that I did not think I would try for a spring bear. Turns out this weekend is free and the lady wants to go camp and look for a black bear so I picked up the license and tag. Gonna head out Friday after work and camp for a couple nights. I figure if I sleep in a dumpster for the next few days and maybe wash my hair with cod liver oil the night before, I'll have Region 2 bears taking numbers. Remember, it's not baiting if you're wearing it. I just hope it works out better than when I wore all that ester-doe urine :(

All kidding aside... good luck heatherdaddy! Hope to see you out there with a bear down.

stubby
05-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Quick question... I came across an old deactivated road that had three different piles of scat within a km I'd say. They all seemed to be from the last couple of days. The bush was pretty thick along the road with no clear cuts. How would you go about hunting it? I walked it a couple of times without seeing anything. So I was thinking it might be a good to find a spot off the road to sit and wait maybe early morning or evening. Good idea? or should I just keep hiking it?

steel_ram
05-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Quick question... I came across an old deactivated road that had three different piles of scat within a km I'd say. They all seemed to be from the last couple of days. The bush was pretty thick along the road with no clear cuts. How would you go about hunting it? I walked it a couple of times without seeing anything. So I was thinking it might be a good to find a spot off the road to sit and wait maybe early morning or evening. Good idea? or should I just keep hiking it?

Your pretty much going to have to catch the bear on the road if that's the only place that's open. Could be there any time. You might try a call. Trying to hunt him in the thick is pretty much impossible. That's why they bait bears elsewhere.

05-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Afternoon hunts seem better then early morning, new grasses clover a favorite food this time of year. Keep hunting those fresh scat areas. Always use the wind in your favour ........ Be sure to make sure the best is alone and not with cubs. Just a matter of time , a fawn or doe blest may work as mentioned.
good luck to you

Fred1
05-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Get a cotton tail rabbit squealer... Squeal that sucker! Stick to the grasses. Watch for the cubs!!

Kudu
05-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Ok, so we don't shoot bear (not even tempted) a couple of days ago I'm visiting a mate who owns some land - (he noramaly let's me shoot geese on it during season), at the bottom of his land there is some really thick bush where I think coyotes might live.

So I put out the foxpro caller on a tripod, walk back 100 yards or so, and fire out a distress call or two, next thing I have two bears charging out, standing on their hind legs and trying to find the distressed animal thats bleeting away (my Foxpro)

I stand up and start yelling at the bloody things because I don't want them chewing on my foxpro, my mate is howling with laughter and the bears start growling me.

Moral of the story, if you want to shoot bears - come hang out with us when we go after coyotes! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

heatherdaddy
05-27-2014, 05:44 PM
I guess I will be bringing a call with me when I go next time. I will have to try the apps for my phone as they are a cottontail squealing and doe and fawn bleating call. Maybe that will work.

Fred1
05-27-2014, 06:33 PM
oh.. watch for the grizzlies...

keoke
05-27-2014, 07:51 PM
Hand calls only for bears fyi.

HarryToolips
05-27-2014, 08:13 PM
I guess I will be bringing a call with me when I go next time. I will have to try the apps for my phone as they are a cottontail squealing and doe and fawn bleating call. Maybe that will work.

Or use a blade of grass if your good at that..if ya sound like something havin a really bad day it might work..as mentioned before, watch for cubs, take your time..you wanna be patient and size them up anyway, cause from my experience, they look bigger than they actually are, bears that are too small ain't worth it for the small amount of meat you get, I learned this firsthand..good luck:-D

Jelvis
05-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Tip for bear hunting
1. At $1.40 a liter for fuel get one as close to town as you can Hahahahaha lol.

olympia
05-27-2014, 09:42 PM
Tip for bear hunting
1. At $1.40 a liter for fuel get one as close to town as you can Hahahahaha lol.

$1.51 for us here in Surrey

keoke
05-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Still cheaper than buying a bear from safeway