PDA

View Full Version : Bushnell Elite 10X42

RiverRunner
05-25-2014, 12:06 PM
Any user experience out there? Found some reviews on the bird forums, but I suspect they may not be as tough on gear as we are. Reviews are favourable, and claims performance is comparable to competitor offering of almost twice the price. I like the fact that they are Japanese made and not from China or other impoverished countries.
Lifetime warranty...$500 and under fits into the desired budget too!

rogerb
05-25-2014, 12:36 PM
have had a pair for about three years now. would highly recommend for relatively inexpensive glass. only downside I've found is the eyepiece rings turn too freely & work themselves down while you walk but that's a fairly minor inconvenience. I would buy them again if I could get a good price again - bought this pair new on ebay for about half of what they go for now.

decker9
05-25-2014, 02:25 PM
I bought a pair back in '07, they were great binos up till last winter, the focus nob fell off and the guts of the nob fell out. Not sure what exactly failed. I abused them pretty bad, so it coulda bin anything. All in all they were good tho.

Timberjack
05-25-2014, 05:13 PM
I had a good friend who was one of those guys who over-researched everything before he bought.. He was looking for a pair of binos, and actually passed up leica, swaro, and zeiss because to HIS EYE, the bushnell elites were as good as the other high end ones. Now, I myself wouldn't necessarily agree, but that was his experience, and he bought the bushnells. I've also got two friends I hunt with currently, and use them without issue. I wouldn't hesitate.

TJ

.300WSMImpact!
05-25-2014, 06:27 PM
I bought a pair and used them for a year then they broke, I did like them so I bought another pair for the next year and they broke as well, if I were you I would spend a bit more and buy a good pair

Legi0n
05-25-2014, 08:43 PM
I bought a pair and used them for a year then they broke, I did like them so I bought another pair for the next year and they broke as well, if I were you I would spend a bit more and buy a good pair

how did they break?
any tell-tale signs of impending breakage (to look for in used binos)?

.300WSMImpact!
05-25-2014, 10:14 PM
the eye piece broke on both, the same break, never dropper, but hiked a ton hunted a ton, in and out of my bino case, I have had vortex since and they have not broken they have been great for the price

Bear Brawler
05-25-2014, 10:28 PM
For the money they are great binos! I've had mine for 5-6yrs I think now and they haven't failed in any way yet. I love em but they have seen some abuse so I will upgrade my binos in the next year, only because I want two pair, one pair for kicking around, simple things, summer riding on the quad also then these will be back ups. I think I want the Vortex Razor HD 10x42, but that's next year.

Steve W
05-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Have used mine for many years. Eventually the focus wheel and the eye cups needed some work. Sent them back to Bushnell and they fixed them and cleaned them up and returned then in about a month. No cost to me other than one way shipping.

BRvalley
05-26-2014, 11:09 AM
I have the 8x42, I keep them in my truck year round when I'm not using them, used them in -30, dropped them, rain soaked, no issues, I like them a lot

the eye cups twist in too easily for me, but a wrap of electrical tape fixed that

I have a pair of vortex vipers, I think the bushnells have a brighter image, sharper on edges, and a bit cheaper...I also had to use the vortex warranty in the first year....3 yrs on the bushnells so far and all is well

Sunzuki
05-26-2014, 12:10 PM
I've got the same ones in the Excrusion line up and really enjoy using them.
Bright, clear and easy focus with the ka-nobby at the top center.

RiverRunner
05-28-2014, 09:40 PM
thank you all for your insights!

GoatGuy
05-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Owned a few bushnell things when I was younger. Binos, range finders, scopes. Everything ended up breaking at some point, some stuff multiple times. Finally gave everything that broke and was fixed through warranty away, and the scope that bushnell wouldn't warranty ended up in the garbage.

Couldn't recommend bushnell to anyone, unless it's free.

Fisher-Dude
05-28-2014, 10:15 PM
I'd buy Zeiss Terras instead. Similar price point and much nicer glass.

huntingtime
05-29-2014, 08:05 AM
I have the 8x and I like them quite a bit. I looked through more expensive ones in the store but always came back to these as I could see sharper images. I wear glasses to btw.
My biggest complaint so far is that the objective lens caps slipped off on my first hunt through thick bush. I cannot find replacements at store. So I would recommend somehow strapping them on to the bino's better.

Sunzuki
05-31-2014, 06:47 AM
I lost one on the Excursions and called Bushnell. They sent me a new set.......yes, I asked for a pair of them.
No charge.

browning308mag
06-01-2014, 08:18 AM
I've had for about 7 years now, l like them, not problems at all.