PDA

View Full Version : Night of highs and lows on the Sunshine Coast..

NMO
05-24-2014, 10:24 PM
A bit of a backstory, moved to BC last fall from ON, never hunted bear before, but lots of deer, ducks, turkey etc..
I have been glassing a particular cut for a few weeks now, seeing lots of bears, some that are the same, and learning their patterns.
I was out Wednesday/Thursday night with the .45-70, my goal was to get a nice bear at 50yds. Got stalking 4 bears over the two nights, but couldnt close within 80 of them. Tonight I decided to take out the .308, and here is what happened.

I headed out at 6:15, on the cut by 6:30. Crest first big hill, bear at 40yds. I put my rifle up on a log infront of me, and start watching said bear that's staring at me. It's not big, but not tiny.. Up pops baby bear, so it's not a shooter. I move abit so they run along, and I continue up the cut into the northeast corner (winds blowing south east)
I get about 100 yds over the next big ridge, and there's the big bear I stalked on Wednesday night. Same trail, just making his way south down the slope. I drop my pack and low crawl another hundred yards, glass him, drop my binos and go another 100.. At this point I'm behind a big log pile, he's heard me but I stayed behind it for a few minutes till he went back to feeding. I get my rifle bench rested on a log, and wait, he is behind some ferns. He steps up onto a stump perfectly broadside 120yds and I pull the trigger.
Took off like a racehorse down the slope. I see him run 80 yards and he's behind the ridge, I can here brush crashing, but no tell tale final loud crash, no classic death moan. But I'm sure I had a good shot, my breathing was good and I was steady, but it sounded like he ran a long ways. Chamber a round and safety is back on, I head to where I took the shot on him. I can see where he walked to the stump, and where he took off like snot. No blood, no hair, nothing, continue to follow his trail, where he tore up the earth.. still nothing. Lots of dead brush around to see blood on, but there isn't a single drop. I ended up spending the next three hours scouring this hillside, going back to where I shot at him, retracing where he ran. Thought my scope was off, I pick a chest sized chunk of granite 150yds away, get settled and squeeze one off ( it had a solid backstop before anyone goes haywire..) dead on. And then it hit me hard, for the first time on big game, and for my first black bear, I missed.
I went back to the log i benched off, and there was a bunch of twigs muzzle high 3 feet infront, that weren't in the line of my scope. Maybe it deflected, maybe I just missed.

Thought I would share my pain with you tonight, good luck and safe hunting!

Edit: Didn't sit right that I missed, was confident in a good shot. Got out early the next morning and recovered my bear. Apologies for the blurry pics, it was pissing rain and I had the shakes upon find him :)
http://i.imgur.com/G61VhzE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4B4y3Cn.jpg

markomoose
05-24-2014, 10:59 PM
BUMMER MAN!!Its happened to most of us.Its just one of those days when everything is perfect and you miss?No explanation!Just go back -dial in your rifle & the next bear won't be so lucky!!

landphil
05-24-2014, 11:03 PM
I know that feeling well enough to know it sucks, but I'll say this. If there's any possible way to get back there tomorrow, have a good look around again, he may be there, you may not have missed. I've had dead animals with virtually no blood trail even with good pass-though shots. Either way, don't be too hard on yourself, and as Red Green would say, keep your stick on the ice.

markomoose
05-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Good advice there landphil!Those critters can go a long ways with lead in them!

Moose Guide
05-24-2014, 11:16 PM
We've all done it, better luck next time!!!

two-feet
05-25-2014, 06:14 AM
Bring a dog up there, if you think you hit it and the rifle was shooting well then it is worth another look.

fearnodeer
05-25-2014, 06:24 AM
Wow sucks you did not get him, but glad you retraced your steps and figured out what happened.

hunter fisher
05-25-2014, 07:41 AM
hell of a story!!

Jagermeister
05-25-2014, 09:41 AM
By now the meat will be turning and the hide slipping hair if you really did whack it. You did due diligence and searched. If located now you're obligated to retrieve the carcass, for what? Just to drop it off at the local dump. Better it stay in the bush where it at least will feed the ravens and what ever else happens upon it. Next time you poke one and it bolts, start your search in a circular fashion from the last point you saw it. Keep expanding the circle. Bears, or other game do not necessarily run in a straight line and have a tendency to circle around in the area they are familiar with. You should be proficient beyond 50 yards with the 45.70. A 100 yard shot with that caliber should be a piece of cake.

nomad
05-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Sounds a lot like my first Bear experience!! Searching for him lead me past where I actually found him under a small evergreen about half a dozen times! Never was a blood trail or anything! Didn't find him till the next day! Fur and Meat were Great! Shot thru right upper leg completely taking front shoulder out exited and back into chest cavity exploding heart and lungs back out and into left shoulder and exploding that! Bear actually went about 30yds uphill with no front quarters! I would still go back for a last look for yours, may find him wandering about or just dead! Any reason to get back in there is good enough for me! As suggested a dog wouldn't be a bad idea either! Good luck, and welcome to BC Bear season!

BCHunterFSJ
05-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Too bad about the bear, but I really enjoyed reading your well written story!

NMO
05-25-2014, 02:01 PM
All that didn't sit well with me last night, hit the bush first thing this morning and ended up recovering my bear. It was cool enough last night and raining, the hide & meat were still good.
Not quite as big as I'd thought once I found it, but a good first bear. No blood trail until 3 feet from where it dropped, up on a ridge in some thick brush, 30 feet from where I walked last night in the dark.

I am proficient with my .45-70 at 100, but not past. 50yds was a range I imposed because I wanted to get some time in stalking bears, as one would on an archery hunt, not because I can't shoot past it.
Switched to the .308 because its 2lbs lighter, and I love that rifle..

landphil
05-25-2014, 02:14 PM
All that didn't sit well with me last night, hit the bush first thing this morning and ended up recovering my bear. It was cool enough last night and raining, the hide & meat were still good.
Not quite as big as I'd thought once I found it, but a good first bear. No blood trail until 3 feet from where it dropped, up on a ridge in some thick brush, 30 feet from where I walked last night in the dark.

I am proficient with my .45-70 at 100, but not past. 50yds was a range I imposed because I wanted to get some time in stalking bears, as one would on an archery hunt, not because I can't shoot past it.

Congrats to you!

coach
05-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Awesome. Great to hear you got back out there and found your bear. Congrats on a hunt well done! I'm sure your your story will be a great example to others. Thanks for sharing.

r106
05-25-2014, 02:58 PM

Way to go. Never give up. Got any picks?

The last 3 bears I shot only one of them left a blood trail and thank god it did because he ran into the thickest, nastiest, blow down crap I've seen. Luckily the 2 that didn't dropped with in sight.

40incher
05-25-2014, 06:10 PM
Good for you to follow up and retrieve the bear.

Bear often leave no blood trail even when hit hard. When they do it is usually from a lung shot and only coming from the mouth or nose. Even then it's can be a ways from the hit.

That's why busting at least one shoulder is a good option.

Congrats on your first bear.

yamadirt 426
05-25-2014, 06:22 PM
good work on the follow up. highs to lows to highs

NMO
05-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Here is a few more pics not off the cellphone. Thanks for the kind words and tips for future bear hunts.
Was a hell of an experience for me and I learned a ton, first bear, first time having to do a long recovery, and first solo big game hunt.
http://i.imgur.com/TGcpxOW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UiEFXlp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vcNXY6T.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GBiSPzL.jpg

albravo2
05-26-2014, 06:03 PM
Great story, glad it worked out the way it did.

Great pics too.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
05-26-2014, 07:14 PM
That's some beautiful bush land and a lovely first Bear! Very glad you were able to recover the animal succesfully.

Thank you for taking the time to share your story.