PDA

View Full Version : mule deer migration region 3

mulieaddiction
05-24-2014, 01:58 PM
hey guys so my dad new a guy who new a biologist and he took my dad to a migration route for the mule deer about 10 or more years ago and my dad would see over 20 mule deer bucks at a time at this place so he took me up there last year and he hadn't been there in 10 years and the land doesn't change its in the alpine so we hiked up and we stayed for a few days and we never saw any deer did they change there migration route or something because before he would see soooo many bucks all at once every day now we saw nothing
any ideas on why this is? thanks

mcmullmar
05-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Predators, pesticide over hunting.. Could be a number of things

the bear
05-24-2014, 04:08 PM
r u kidding even the best honey holes come up dry sometimes

Steelpulse
05-24-2014, 04:44 PM
10 years is a long time, can't hunt the same spot and expect deer to be there like clockwork, could be like said above a million different things

MattB
05-24-2014, 04:46 PM
Pesticide? Don't spew bs...some people will believe you.

jag
05-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Were you there in September or Oct. and the migration is in Nov. or Dec. Light snow year and the deer hadn't started to move lower yet. Like has been said, lots of possible reasons.

mulieaddiction
05-24-2014, 05:56 PM
its not hunters the roads deactivated and my dad hunted thete every year for like 6 years never seen a hunter ever and went in september like he always did and it snows up there in september

Dannybuoy
05-24-2014, 06:13 PM
So its not a migration issue but rather whether or not the groups of bachelor bucks happen to be in that particular area on that particular day ?

Timbow
05-24-2014, 06:49 PM
I would suspect timing was probably the cause why you didn't see anything. Muledeer are creatures of habit, especially in migration routes. Unless you are there at the right time when they migrate you may not catch them. I would set up a few trail cameras on the well used trails to find out if they are still migrating from the area.

You are looking at a long term commitment to get a good handle on the area. Great opportunity to get out there.

Keep us updated.

mcmullmar
05-24-2014, 07:06 PM
pesticide is not bs. I have hunted areas that were good then they sprayed to control weed growth to give newly planted trees a chance, deer left

mulieaddiction
05-24-2014, 09:32 PM
therea no trees where we go its all grass and they just show up random places in yhe grass cant put trail cams up just sucks we went same time of year how my dad did all the time he cant go up again he cant hike hea older now he wanted to pass down his spot to me and he was pretty upset that we saw nothing he was so excited to go up for the last time for me to get a 4point but didnt happen so i am hoping to make him proud we camp same spot where he use to we have a place with all pans and everything its a nice spot and view up there i got no one to take up there might wonna find someone from here to come with me but i would want them to respect the spot and not show or tell anyone

250 sav
05-24-2014, 09:41 PM
I think some some of those twenty bucks migrated into my freezer.

mulieaddiction
05-24-2014, 10:57 PM
every day he would see a diff group of bucks

Kudu
05-25-2014, 08:36 AM
I got no one to take up there might wonna find someone from here to come with me but i would want them to respect the spot and not show or tell anyone

Be smart about it - keep it to yourself and hand it down to your son.

Too many people make bullshit promises, your dad kept it to himself and has handed it down to you - do what he did - simple!

mulieaddiction
05-25-2014, 11:33 AM
okay thanks kudu!!!!!

Taylor69
05-25-2014, 12:12 PM
It's actually a herbicide

one-shot-wonder
05-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Don't give up on the spot. Nutrition is a major priority for deer in Sept/Oct. It is possible that the alpine was burned off that year and the bucks were in a different area with more lush feed. Likely they are not far away. Best to spend time up there glassing and check out adjacent areas for sign.

shallowH2O
05-25-2014, 05:36 PM
pesticide is not bs. I have hunted areas that were good then they sprayed to control weed growth to give newly planted trees a chance, deer left
Pesticides don't kill weeds. Herbicides do!!

mulieaddiction
05-25-2014, 05:41 PM
ok thanks guys now i gotta hope the road isnt washed out it is a deactivated road so hopefully i can get up there!!

CHEAM
05-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Ten years is a long time.Timing can change. A place in region three( also Alpine)that I hunted in the 1980's . The deer would be gone by mid Sept. now they are still there in Oct.

mulieaddiction
05-25-2014, 08:15 PM
ya thats what im thinking maybe they are in that area abit later now