PDA

View Full Version : Spring Black Bear and the newbie struggle

nickjs
05-22-2014, 08:01 PM
Hey Y'all

First season big game hunting. Looking to harvest most of what I eat this year and next and ducks and geese only take me so far. Have one day this weekend and one day next weekend to get out hunting for spring black bear. I went out Easter weekend north of Harrison scouting knowing I wouldn't see much. The other times I've been to Squamish, the last time being May long weekend (bad choice, campers and ravers galore. Only saw one shootable bear and it was inside native land on Squamish Valley Road). I've done a fair bit of research about the black bear hunt and the tactics. I've been driving lots of forestry roads, looking for scat and the chewed vegetation, glassing south facing clear cuts and slashes. Haven't seen much besides those elusive stump bears. Now I'm not desperate and won't be turned off hunting if I get skunked this year as its a learning process and it's called hunting not shooting but I would be beyond excited to get one this year. Any advice on the tactics of the hunt and more importantly locations would be incredibly helpful and appreciated. Am I wasting my time on squamish valley road? It needs to be within an hour or two of the Lower Mainland (else wise the gas and time it takes to do the drive alone is difficult). Would also be willing to meet up or tag along with someone if anyone wants to be a mentor and help a newbie to big game out. Feel free to leave a response or PM and keep that good hunting karma rolling! Thanks Fellas (and ladies) in advance!

angus5024
05-22-2014, 08:52 PM
I don't know about Squamish Valley because I'm from the interior, but my guess is that if you are being quiet, are glassing a lot and checking south facing slopes/plentiful feed area's... Your in the WRONG area. Getting away from people is huge. If you run into 3 or more sets of people a day you need to relocate. Sometimes the bears will be in fairly populated areas but they will be jumpy and usually pretty small, not to mention its almost a given that they have been getting into garbage. All that being said, you also don't need to go a days drive away. just get into non-populated areas. That might mean a little less on the gas pedal and more on foot.
Even if you get skunked try to remember that "good" hunters aren't always good. They have just been doing it long enough to know the good spots. I have my black bear spot that has produced a mature bear every year (sometimes two) for four years. One year we took out four bears in one day. It took me a lot of bear-less miles to figure out where to go though.
Good luck.

aggiehunter
05-22-2014, 09:19 PM
take the time to walk thru one of those clearcuts and check for sign...don't get wrapped in and driving around so much..one of my favourite places to see bears involves sitting for 3 to 4 hours looking at this sidehill with old landings that green up...saw 5 in one day there....and it happens every year...so find a spot like that...don't tell anyone and sit there with your lunch....

r106
05-22-2014, 09:24 PM
Sounds like your on the right track. I also agree with angus about getting away from the crowds. I like pipelines and powerlines because I can glass further ahead or walking deactivated roads. Cover ground on foot looking for scat. Once you find scat Be there at 2:00 pm till dark. A lot of people say they have good luck at first light but all of my bears have been mid afternoon to early evening.

The best advice I can give is cover ground on foot. You do not learn a area driving around. You will learn the lay of the land but not where the animal are. Don't be in a hurry to drive every FSR in the lower mainland. Focus on one general area. Once you do this you will eventually find the sweet spots. I went the first 2.5 years getting skunked. Once I got patient and started walking the areas I was focused on. I have been successful every year since.

gerrygoat
05-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Welcome to HBC, sounds like you have been given some excellent advice. It will all come together for you in time maybe sooner than you think, good luck.

markomoose
05-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Welcome to HBC nickjs!I lived in the squam for a dozen plus years but relocated to P.G. I would continue your quest for bears in the Squamish Valley.Key on the less travelled areas and the fringe areas.Bears tend to like a quick escape route close to the big timber although occasionally you will catch them in the open.Try to concentrate on the late afternoon and evening hunts as they are going to be out and about!I would try the Elaho but thats a personal preferance.Maybe do an overnighter so you can maximize your daylight or better yet shoot a hog at last light and do the butchering in darkness?It's all part of the adventure!! Good luck & good shooting Mark

604redneck
05-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Come on up next Wednesday bud

r106
05-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Welcome to HBC nickjs!I lived in the squam for a dozen plus years but relocated to P.G. I would continue your quest for bears in the Squamish Valley.Key on the less travelled areas and the fringe areas.Bears tend to like a quick escape route close to the big timber although occasionally you will catch them in the open.Try to concentrate on the late afternoon and evening hunts as they are going to be out and about!I would try the Elaho but thats a personal preferance.Maybe do an overnighter so you can maximize your daylight or better yet shoot a hog at last light and do the butchering in darkness?It's all part of the adventure!! Good luck & good shooting Mark

hahaha. I remember my first Buck was at last light. There I was by myself, at night, covered in blood. I thought a bear or cougar was behind every tree. LOL. Your sense of awareness will never be higher than your first time gutting a animal at night :mrgreen: lol.

Displaced Nova Scotian
05-22-2014, 10:15 PM
Welcome to the form!
You're reading great advice as posted above. I've been hunting bears for 1 year now and have been on numerous kills either as my own or friends.

I am am learning quickly that just like sheep hunting it's best to stay and glass until your eyes are sore, in an area with as little pressure as possible. This often requires a hike for a couple kilometres off the FSR. The areas you're looking: greened up south facing slopes are key and it's just a matter of time before one will show it's head.

A word of advice, bears often look larger than they actually are in person. My first bear was quite small, walking up to it I learned the full effects of ground shrinkage. Tell-tale signs are ears on the side of it's head, big Popeye arms which make the bear sway from side to side while walking and a stomach which drags the ground while walking (is no air gap between stomach and ground).

Hope you you spend some time in the bush, it won't take long and you'll start seeing em!

markomoose
05-22-2014, 10:24 PM
hahaha. I remember my first Buck was at last light. There I was by myself, at night, covered in blood. I thought a bear or cougar was behind every tree. LOL. Your sense of awareness will never be higher than your first time gutting a animal at night :mrgreen: lol.

I hear you r106.I've never shot heroin & never will but is that not the most aware you will ever be as a new hunter!Complete paranoid phycosis.

backcountrybowhunter
05-22-2014, 10:33 PM
One key thing I've found is to glass and glass and don't be afraid to look over the same spot several times because they always seem to pop up at the randomest times. Also when driving logging roads with green vegetation drive very slow always seem to be right around the corner. If they are feeding and you are moving slow you sshould have time to sstop and get setup before they notice you are their. Today went back to a spot I seem a bear a week ago and sure enough driving to fast and he bailed off the road 100 yards from where I seem him a week ago. Drove past waited a hour and turned around and walked slowly back down the road, their he was in the same spot feeding. Closed the distance to 35 yards with my bow in hand but decided he wasn't the bear I wanted to cut my tag on. Good luck

300win
05-23-2014, 06:46 AM
welcome to HBC hope you have a great season dude!!