PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else been doing any carp stickin lately?

knockturnal
05-22-2014, 06:27 PM
I went out today and managed to shoot 3 off the log booms on OK lake. Its more like hunting out there as you do a lot of walking. The water still isnt hot enough for them to be cruising around in the booms themselves and they were all within 20ft of shore.

Foxtail
05-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Are you using a bow? Or spearing them?

knockturnal
05-22-2014, 09:19 PM
Using an old golden eagle 60lb compound.

Foxtail
05-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Cantilever bow... Nice. Found one on craigslist just yesterday for cheap but its 80+ pounds draw. When would be the best time to come out there to do some carp shootn?

knockturnal
05-23-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm guessing you found an Oneida? They are nice but not needed. I've got 2 old bows setup for shooting carp. Bought one for $50. Any of the older style bows that have small wheels work fine. You just want to have something that's easy to snap shoot. The carp are up in the shallows deeded and getting ready to spawn so anywhere from here on out is a good time. I'm thinking of heading out here shortly to go try my hand at a different spot.

Amphibious
05-23-2014, 02:47 PM
I'll be back home next week. If you see a 15' yellow kayak stacked high with stinky fish, say Hi :)

If you can get out in front of the Grand right now, it's usually thick with them. Duck lake is a great early season location

knockturnal
05-23-2014, 04:05 PM
I was out at duck today getting eaten alive by Mosquitos. 2 hours and 24 bites later. Lots of fish just shitty weather. They weren't breaking the surface to much. Water was chest deep in a few places. Need a ladder to sit on out there. Where abouts out in front of the grand? I could park my fishin boat out there and just drift around waiting for them. I got in contact with the guy who owns/runs croctalk here in kelowna and he said he would love to take some fish to feed his crocs and gators.

r106
05-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Do you guys eat carp? does it make good table fair?

knockturnal
05-23-2014, 06:33 PM
Ate it once. Will not eat again.

Amphibious
05-24-2014, 01:37 PM
The creek outflow behind the grand (waterfront park?) makes a big delta 2-5' deep. This time of year they are gathering to spawn there. Had some epic, 20+ fish carp swims there. Not sure about them rising to the surface though. Late summer on the far side of Wood along the train tracks they are all hanging out in the reeds right on the surface. I've killed two to date with my kayak paddle there, Pole-axe style. Shot a few with the speargun right from the boat there too.

If you can did up a wetsuit I can put you into a lot more fish, but you'll need to swim for them :)

knockturnal
05-24-2014, 06:04 PM
That could be fun. I had a wetsuit but I dunno where it got to. I went back out to duck today and pounded them. The water came up more which allowed them to swim around more freely which ended up being bad luck for them. I shot 6 in a row without moving. I ran out of room on my stringer. I'm just going to use a rope next time. Dragging around 60-70lbs of carp is kind of a pain but worth it in the end.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/knockturnal/2F5321C5-1C96-4234-999D-1B03FD9BFC09_zpsq64v2cxf.jpg

Amphibious
05-24-2014, 06:29 PM
Very nice! South end of duck by the highway?

I still want to build a truck-hitch mounted hydraulic catapult one day. I think Carp-skeet could really catch on. A fun way to fertilize a field.

knockturnal
05-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Yeah. Oddly enough, I haven't had the cops show up or anyone yell at me yet. A couple horn honks and that's it. Would have been a funny picture with me dragging all those fish back to my truck with my bow strapped into my waders.