PDA

View Full Version : Moving in the fall: Advice on Invermere area\region 4

snowplayaa
05-22-2014, 03:13 PM
It looks like I will be moving to Invermere in time to catch some of the fall ungulate season (and a ski season ;). I will be hunting blacktail here on Vancouver Island Sept to Mid October then heading inland to what I have often heard referred to as the 'Serengeti' of BC! Only problem....I've never been there!

I'm not going to get in much scouting time before arriving so I'm hoping to get some advice on late season hunting ground prospects before rocking up. I'll be looking for deer (both species) and elk. Generally, I prefer a good backcountry hunt leaving vehicles behind at the trailhead...

Ideally, the snow will start flying just as I arrive so I can track easily while still having reasonable access to the high country.....but 'just in case' that perfect scenario doesn't play out I'd appreciate any intel you care to offer (even some don't bother with 'x' area or 'x' area is super busy...)

I have poured over the regs already (especially the vehicle restricted areas), studied up on the BC parks in the area and have started obsessively studying the zones on Google Earth...

and go!

cheers!

Moose Guide
05-22-2014, 10:05 PM
I would move in sept. and get in the whole elk season! good luck on your move!

Everett
05-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Bring deep pockets Invermere is the most expensive place in the East Kootenays. The skiing is alright at Panorama best part is its 1 an 1/2hr drive to Kicking Horse, Lake Louise and Fernie.
For Hunting Either head North of Radium or South around Canal Flats pretty much drive up any FSR and your in good hunting.

Ltbullken
05-23-2014, 10:10 AM
I've heard from some Kootenay residents that you need to live there for 10 years before you are allowed to hunt the Kootenays... :wink:

snowplayaa
05-23-2014, 11:12 AM
LOL thanks for the info guys....

Jagermeister
05-23-2014, 09:08 PM
The east side of the rockies in Region 7 (Peace) is referred to as the 'Serengeti' of BC!

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
05-24-2014, 12:49 AM
5 years to get your locals card .. and your going to love the hunting around Invermere .. so much to chose from , you dont need google earth .. just drive the red rock to brisco and back again .. mule deer whitetail and elk . .no problem . you have the west side road to Fairmont ..then you can hit kimberly and cranbrook .. lots of space.. good luck ..

bridger
05-24-2014, 05:59 AM
The east side of the rockies in Region 7 (Peace) is referred to as the 'Serengeti' of BC!

Also know as the centre of the universe! LOL!

toad
05-25-2014, 12:15 AM
5 years does not get you a locals card... been here well over ten years and far from a local if your not born here your not a local....

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
05-26-2014, 12:02 AM
i will give him one if he moves to Golden ..