PDA

View Full Version : New Hunter looking for a hunting buddy/ Mentor for Spring Bear

sgillf
05-21-2014, 02:19 PM
This is a cross-post (also posted to the Vancouver Island forum) I looked for the rules, but didn't see any messages about not doing so. I will delete if necessary

Hi There,

As the title says, I’m interested in finding someone I can bear hunt with. I have had a trip planned to the west coast of the island, but my friends have had to cancel. My Dad is still going on the trip (he will be fishing, and doesn’t hunt), and I would still love the opportunity to go.

About the trip:

It was planned to be a fishing/ hunting trip. My dad has a boat and we have accommodation all set up
Timing: Could be any of the following weekends: May 25th, June 1st, June 14th – Trip would be about 3-4 days
Trip would be to the Bamfield region

About Me:

I’m in my early 30’s and live in Vancouver. My Dad was born on the island, and returns for fishing multiple times each year.
I had originally planned to hunt with my uncle (the only family member who hunted), but we lost him to Cancer last year
This is my first time after a bear. As the title says, I am a new hunter, and would be an eager and respectful learner

My prep and background:

In preparation for the hunt I’ve read the following book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Q3QRQI/ref=pe_245070_24466410_M1T1DP
I’m fit and can hold my own during any tasks required
We would be well equipped – and I’m willing to make any additional investments that would be necessary to get me up and running for years to come

If you would be interested, or know of someone that might be a good match, please let me know. I appreciate any advice.

1980skywalker
05-21-2014, 08:42 PM
My Bamfield bear hunt is done for the year but I know of a few guys that might be up for the trip with you, shoot me a pm, at the very least I could make sure you get onto bears.

emerson
05-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Sounds like you are organized, intelligent, and motivated. I hope you can find someone to team up with.

sgillf
05-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Thanks Emerson and Skywalker - I'm in the process of planning a trip with a forum member. I'll be sure to update the thread if it comes to pass.

Being able to access a community like this is outstanding