PDA

View Full Version : Going Camping/Hunting this weekend

heatherdaddy
05-21-2014, 06:50 AM
I am going camping in the Skagit this weekend and thought I would take the rifles along for a nature walk. Anybody know if there is any signs of bear activity in there and what the road conditions are like?

BiG Boar
05-21-2014, 09:09 AM
Go have fun. A bear tag is cheap.

itsy bitsy xj
05-21-2014, 09:12 AM
Let us all know how you made out when you get back

Gone_Fishin_
05-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Been doing some scouting in this area over the past month, havent seen much for bear activity at all recently. Seen one little guy that you could pick up by yourself and thats bout it. Seen 2 piles of fresh scat (side by Side) just on the other side of the bridge that branches right 30kms or so in. Few does here and there while hiking but not much bear sign. this is all hiking too, very rare i road hunt.

Road is in great shape, besides the giant storms of dust that get blown up when anyone drives by, expecially the yahoo's driving a 100 in their pickups. They just re-did the roads the other week and are now pothole free, (for a few days at least).

As for camping... as long as your way off the main road then the dust won't bug you. Dont know how all those ppl this long weekend could handle camping right beside the road and breathnig in massive dust storms every 5 minutes. Not to mention the amount of mess it makes on everything you own.

Might be better off driving a little further East, stay on the number 5 and maybe hit Sowaqua Creek Fsr, Carolin Mine road (east side of highway, go over the coquihalla river) or hit the number one and you have American Creek Fsr, BC Nickel mine Road, Emory Creek Fsr all within 20 minutes of Hope.

Hope this helps, good luck.

quaint bucket
05-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I honestly don't know why people go camping on long weekends... maybe people should manage their vacation time better so they don't depend on stat holidays. I always go the week before or the week after.

Some people do it because it's the only way they could afford it... kinda sad.

Good luck camping up in skagit. get a bear tag. maybe you will get lucky :)

gutpile
05-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Bad place for ticks !

Gone_Fishin_
05-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Bad place for ticks !

TRUE!!!

Pulled my phone outta my pants pocket and had one of the nasty little buggers crawling on my screen, dunno how he got in there but thankfully it wasn't behind one more layer of fabric and only made it into my pocket somehow.