PDA

View Full Version : Matching rubs to bucks

lapadat
02-25-2007, 10:30 PM
For all you psychotic scouters out there: What do rubs tell you???

Can you match different rubs to a specific buck?
Do bucks mark up trees in similar ways year after year?

Below is a solid BT rub on an alder beside a 55lb shed hunter

Lap

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Hunting_098.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4480&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=847)

hunter1947
02-26-2007, 06:09 AM
I have found were deer ,they rub the same tree year every ,is this rub at hi elevation or in the city limits ??? hunter 1947.

lapadat
02-26-2007, 07:35 AM
Hunter, this rub is at high elevations in an area with little to no hunter pressure. There are 3 or 4 other rubs of equal size within 500 sq meters of this spot.

Wild, i'm 6 ft tall and taking the picture standing above my dog. I'd say the rub would go about 35-40 inches. You think it's too high up the tree for a BT?

Anyone have pics of ELK rubs????

Lap

mapguy
02-26-2007, 08:10 AM
i've come accross rubs and i believe they were about 2 to 3 ft. off the ground on good size alders though.

luckynuts
02-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Those look pretty like pretty big rubs but i have seen some large blacktail rubs on fence posts apple trees and young firs where there weren't any rosies around. If you find a good rub line and blackies do make them, make a couple of setups along it preferably tree stands this spring. You will be rewarded come fall. Blackies are a lot like whitetails and they will work the same rublines year after year and other bucks during the rut will travel down them too. Along with some rattling antlers and you have yourself the making of a good deer setup. If only I had a camcorder years ago

BlacktailStalker
02-26-2007, 05:21 PM
I have seen many blacktail rubs like that one. No doubt in my mind it is a buck rub. Elk rubs go as high as 8 feet and rarely that low. I'd put a trail cam there and see who made it, assuming he made it through the rut, winter and hunting season.

hunter1947
02-26-2007, 06:15 PM
I can put up some pic of rubs made by deer her on the island and i have been watching a tree that looks identical to the one that was posted ,this tree that is scared are from different deer that come along and put there sent on the tree and rub it at the same time. hunter 1947.

Ddog
02-26-2007, 11:02 PM
I have seen many blacktail rubs like that one. No doubt in my mind it is a buck rub. Elk rubs go as high as 8 feet and rarely that low. I'd put a trail cam there and see who made it, assuming he made it through the rut, winter and hunting season.

well i agree that, that may be a deer rub i 100% disagree that elk rubs rarely go that low, i have seen 100's of elk rubs go from ground level to 4 feet, and lots way higher than that.

Walksalot
02-27-2007, 06:22 AM
I hunted an area where some rather large diameter trees were being rubbed. After three years of hunting this area I shot, from my stand, a whitetail with a 24" spread. After I shot this buck the trees were never rubbed again.

hunter1947
02-27-2007, 05:43 PM
That rub is a deer rub no dought about it ,this rub if it were an elk ,it would have scares higher up on the tree from doing this much rub lower down. When you get a rub on a tree from an elk it is up higher ,there usually start at 40 inches hi and run up 2 feet. But i have seen there rubs take out willow bushes at ground level to. hunter 1947.

~T-BONE~
02-27-2007, 08:40 PM
I think a mountain goat made that rub!:lol:

lapadat
02-27-2007, 09:03 PM
T Bone, How did you know I was in goat winter range???

Blktail
02-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Lapadat

I have seen a number of rubs like that on Saltspring Island where deer rarely go over 120 Lbs. I have seen two trees over there with multiple trunks and branches, many as big as in your photo, rubbed in many consecutive years. I am not sure that they are done by big deer, but I am pretty sure they are done by the best deer in the area showing their stuff.
Just my 2 bits.

Bigbuckadams
02-28-2007, 08:13 AM
Rule I go by is simple. A big buck can make a decent rub on any size tree, bigger the better. A dink buck won't thrash a big tree, although he may be able to put a few scratches on it.