PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Kamloops Mule Deer - Cali Sheep - Moose Whitetail Bear Birds Reg 3 kammy

Jelvis
05-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Any hunter has an abundance of high class hunting opportunity to take advantage of here in Kamloops in the valid hunting seasons of general open season plus leh season, along with youth and senior seasons and bow season. Many different animals as you know dwell in the hills and ridges along the Thompson Rivers, in game rich habitat with a western outdoor flavor, a diverse back ground of wildness, numerous semi-open slopes with high and low ridges, sky lined rocky bluffs and the knee high yellow grass, it's mind blowing ungulate habitat with scenery eye candy at every glance, every turn will eat your heart out.
We want to cover the whole radius out from the centre of the compass and that is Kamloops City. We can do it together and add whatever is relevant to positive information. Kept fairly accurate in explanation. Where the animals are likely to be during early mid and late seasons.
Distance out from the Loopy Town with km's and road names. MU numbers relevant to Leh areas in the region closer to Kammy and containing all general open season information available to us.
All animals and birds that we can hunt legally will be covered in Region 3 close to the town of Kamloops.
Within a 70 km approximate radius give or take 50 km's --
Jalapeeno we'll get it together - the pros with No cons - Kamloops Hunting - Close, Satisfying and Successful

Steelpulse
05-17-2014, 11:11 PM
This will be a great thread, I am a kamloops hunter and am more than happy to add to this, we have an amazing area here in the interior, my brother and I hunt everywhere in the area, greenstone mounting 3-19a being our favourite big game area, we have taken some very nice mule deer and a nice leh bull last year within sight of new gold mine, the most important thing in this area hunting close to the loops is to just get off the road, there is so much game here its crazy.

Head down to stump lake area and find upland galore, we do very well down t here for grouse and rabbit, haven't hunted any big game that way though.

Most bodies of water hold ducks but some areas produced very well for us with limits opening day and limits throughout the season, we took 63 ducks out of one pond last year over a bunch of hunts however not gonna name that spot haha its in the area though. Just takes some pre season scouting to find a good spot.

For bears we have found 3-27 to be pretty good and will be taking a couple with predator calling this may June, pictures and video to come later this month.

Overall 3-19 is our go to area for every animal in the regs, last year took mule deer moose whitetail duck goose rabbit grouse all off greenstone and chewls

Will add some more later if I think of it

Should organize a kamloops hunting beer night somewhere this summer

Jelvis
05-17-2014, 11:17 PM
Spike/Fork moose around Kamloops now, shortened by two weeks but you can still hunt them in the flats about 4000 feet in some fresh snow and see some fresh moose tracks equals total wild country excitement.
and you can get two whitetails (any sex), check reg for valid time window, any whitetail gos bag limit increase as well as an ample general open season for whitetail deer, check this out for some great venison.
2 mule deer with one a buck so, one valid leh mule deer antlerless tag and a valid mule deer buck tag --
A Bonanza of hunting opportunity close to the Lower Mainland and travelling on great highways 1 or 5 up to Region 3.
It's all here and you can be in the actual mix with all the outdoor adventure that hunting promotes, in a mere 4 hours from downtown Vancouver to be in thee hunting paradise of the south central interior of B.C. around Kamloops

Steelpulse
05-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Yes the change to 2 whitetails is sweet, can't wait, and I'm happy with a november combo hunt moose deer, hit the road afterr fresh snow and track what ever comes first moose or deer, will be great

Jelvis
05-17-2014, 11:20 PM
Spike/Fork moose around Kamloops, check the tine for a spike or fork on that bull.
And you can get two whitetails any sex, what, seriously listen up, liberal general open season also, a month long someone was saying, what? check reg's for valid time window. Two white tail deer any sex. Unreal.
2 mule deer only one can be a buck = One leh antlerless mule deer tag and a valid mule deer buck tag.
plus grab two whitetail tags while your at it, you will come across some whitetail deer and you better be quick.
black bear hunting gos extended in areas of mu 3 into late June, check reg's for accuracy on dates.
plus "Beyond world class leh Cali-Sheep Ram hunts in Mu 3-29A and B." Just a few K's from Dah Loops massive rams here
Ducks geese holy sheets. We mustah died and gone to the Happy Hunting Grounds. This is fee nom me nal

Jelvis
05-17-2014, 11:25 PM
Steelpulse -- I hear yah --
--------------- the Pulse has some real good threads on hbc here about this exact Kamloops area hunting.
Jel ..

markomoose
05-18-2014, 10:06 AM
I wanna go back down muley hunting this fall around Little Fort but the damn wolves are thick in there.Someone suggested closer to Barriere.Less wolves ?

Jelvis
05-18-2014, 10:34 AM
You can not go in any ways wrong coming up to hunt mule deer at any degree of the compass around Kamloops, from early to mid season through the end of late season. It all works.
Barriere area for instance is just 64 km north from Kammy and is a dynamic spot for mule deer hunting. Plus if you have an leh for moose up the North Thompson in Mu 3-28 A or B your one lucky moose hunter. An antlerless mule deer tag in your wallet for a fat dry muley doe for the best meat loaf any human would literally crawl across the floor on broken glass to wolf it down.
Grouse and a fair to good amount of black bear. Some nice whitetail hunting can be found near Kamloops and onto and around Little Fort if you know the wiley whitetails habitat preferences and where he can be found. Little different than the mighty mule deer. Muley likes side hills and tops of ridges, whitetail prefer river and stream bottoms and flats with variable cover.
Get out early and hunt all day and you'll satisfy that urge you get when you want to go hunting real bad like.

B-rad
05-18-2014, 11:14 AM
I love kamloops,,,,,am sooo pumped about gettin another 2 whitetail,,,I've been seeing them in areas I've never ever seen them before,,,,,

HarryToolips
05-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Spike/Fork moose around Kamloops now Nov 1 to Nov 15th
and you can get two whitetails any sex, liberal general open season also, check reg's for valid time window.
2 mule deer only one can be a buck = One leh antlerless mule deer tag and a valid mule deer buck tag.
plus grab two whitetail tags while your at it, you could come across some whitetail deer and can take em.
black bear hunting gos extended in areas of mu 3 into late June, check reg's for accuracy on dates.
plus leh Cali-Sheep in Mu 3-29A and B. Just a few K's from Dah Loops.
Ducks geese holy Corey Sheets.

Unfortunately the lengthened spring bear season doesn't kick in til next year...stoked about the increase in WT bag limit, lol I'll be lucky to bag one though.. too bad about the shortened immy moose season, hard to believe there's that many spike forkers being taken..

Steelpulse
05-18-2014, 11:59 AM
The bear season extended to June 30 is effective this year if you look at the new regulations that just came out, last regs say 15th of June, new regs say June 30. I don't believe I am missing anything but correct me if I am wrong

6pt_elk_wannabe
05-18-2014, 12:18 PM
The top of greenstone and all the lakes on the backside can be some of the most amazing early season hunting for mulies, lots of rabbits and bear up there at that time too. Still waiting for someone to crack a tunkwa joke lol

Steelpulse
05-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Haven't shot much out tunkwa way, however have seen some huge moose rubs, was 5 yards from a very nice mule deer last year still hunting whitetails, as I had already shot my mule deer, and saw evidence of a large bear last november, seem to be great numbers of game that way as well, just get off highway 4100rd, or 4200 can't remember

epicZERO74
05-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Sounds like hunting here is sweet! I normally hunt in Princeton and Quesnel, as well as the odd areas I don't visit often like Tulameen. Never hunted Kamloops, but hey, I'll give it a try (or 2) this fall! Is there a lot of hunters? Where/when can I get away from them.

khoffnbud
05-18-2014, 01:20 PM
I wanna go back down muley hunting this fall around Little Fort but the damn wolves are thick in there.Someone suggested closer to Barriere.Less wolves ?
The wolves are thick in the a NT valley from blue river all the way to kamloops, 3-44 used to be my go to spot, not anymore

Steelpulse
05-18-2014, 01:33 PM
I have never had an issue with hunters in the area, as long as you are off the road and hike around, however you will run into some hunters but that has not stopped us from being successful year after year, to many people just cruise the road, and complain there is nothing to shoot or just walk 100 yards into the bush, in my opinion you have to find a good spot in a good area, and spend the day in the woods, we usually schedule our hunts hour before sunrise already in the bush, back for lunch noon for hour then back into the woods to after dark, that is how to tag out every year, not saying that's the only way though

As for where to go, seriously go anywhere in kamloops area within 50km you name it it's there

Jelvis
05-18-2014, 03:51 PM
If you hunted Tuesday to Friday it would be less hunters to see or here driving by on secondary roads.
Weekends and long weekends will have more hunters rubber necking along the fsr's.
Nov 11 long weekend is busy with hunting trucks but that's because the hunting is good at this time also.
For moose get out there in moose country before light and in your spot by day break or drive the roads along marshes and water sources as daylight comes along.
Sheep in Mu 3-29B this year, you can walk or ride a bike and shoot a big ram if yah git the Kamloops Lake Cali-Sheep. MU 3-29B you could drive a Smart car within 40 yards of a huge ram.
LEH Sheep Kamloops lake are "Diamond Tags" plus go for the Gold in leh Moose and the $ilver in leh antlerless mule deer in Reg 3. You could win the race and stand on the top of the winning hunting podium

HarryToolips
05-18-2014, 05:53 PM
The bear season extended to June 30 is effective this year if you look at the new regulations that just came out, last regs say 15th of June, new regs say June 30. I don't believe I am missing anything but correct me if I am wrong

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1416/docs/Hunting-TrappingSynopsis_2014-2016.pdf

Unfortunately, as you can see they are effective from July 1st of this year on which means for this spring bear season we only have til June15:-D:???:

Steelpulse
05-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Ok, what page? That's the whole regs, I believe you I just haven't read that and would like to see for myself

Jelvis
05-18-2014, 07:36 PM
The game filled Mu's around Kamloops offer up a feast of hunting opportunity for one and all. Old young or in between. Road hunters or hiker types fit right in, matter of fact they do a little of both when they see the semi-open ridges. Youth seasons, Senior season and the benefits with special help provided by our B.C. Wild Life people with special times making it possible to nail a beast for the table and share the lifelong memories together.
Bow season too, and early season means some big, medium and little bucks in velvet close to a dirt road.
We have gos and leh to attend to for our needs to fill a valid tag. Go leh in Region 3 each season for sheep, moose and antlerless mule deer.
Kamloops is the centre of the compass the pin in the middle and we circle 360 degrees into gorgeous high country on all angles. Radiating out in game rich habitat because of the good, deep, mineral filled soil, and moisture from all forms of precipitation annually and don't forget the "hay maker", the warm sun rays kissing the new shoots and growing the grass in spring and all summer long into fall. Buds shooting out into succulent leafs giving the forest different toned colors. Aspen, fir, pine, semi-open ridges. Ponds, lakes and streams every where you walk and drive.
With the weather going like it is in Kamloops in the last month or so it looks like a solid year for the hunter of wild game again in the region around Kammy Town. Great feed growing thick and long, green as a cucumber, bunch grass to the hips. Rich proteins and minerals and legumes, eaten by these animals everyday and lots of fresh rains to fill the mountain ponds with nitrogen and oxygen in it's thirst quenching properties.
Rocco predicts some huge racked and horned big game animals coming out of the Loops country this year.
Jelly -- the rock knows the area and says the weather looks like a big animal maker year, heavy with meat.

Steelpulse
05-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Yes for sure agree with you there jel, if looking for opportuniitiy and access for any person, senior youth average Joe, or hardcore hunter kamloops has it within a 20 min. Drive of the city center, pretty much no matter what direction you go in

Steelpulse
05-18-2014, 08:07 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1416/docs/Hunting-TrappingSynopsis_2014-2016.pdf

Unfortunately, as you can see they are effective from July 1st of this year on which means for this spring bear season we only have til June15:-D:???:

Haha 10 4 it says on the cover

B-rad
05-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Yup kammi the place to be if you are an outdoorsman,,,,,,,tons of big game,,,small game,,,and can't fail to mention we are world renound for our fishing

Jelvis
05-18-2014, 08:26 PM
We have predators in the gorgeous hills and mountains that surround Kamloops and we can actually observe the sky lines from Kamloops. The animals would be some mountain lions, smaller wild cats, black bears, coyote and some wolves.
Coyotes and bears you will see eventually as you putt around but the others you will have to pursue them to get a chance to see them up close and personal in most cases. They hide well and lay up in the thick stuff during the day light. Coming out at dark to creep around looking for a deer or a rabbit.

rides bike to work
05-19-2014, 07:44 AM
I pulled one of the thirty nanny sheep draws kamloops lake and I've never been in that country please help

khoffnbud
05-19-2014, 08:12 AM
I pulled one of the thirty nanny sheep draws kamloops lake and I've never been in that country please help
You must be the only guy in the province to get your leh back, especially since there not due yet

rides bike to work
05-19-2014, 08:34 AM
I'm special

B-rad
05-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Leh,,,,,already??how you manage that?? Lol

Jelvis
05-19-2014, 12:26 PM
+++ - > Nice black bear hunting country near Warren/Hyas Lakes in MU 3-27 Some weigh in from light weight, middle weight to heavy weight. One hundred pounds or less to three hundred pounds on the ground. Boars, sows and some hitting the super heavy weight division close to 360 pounds and looks like a huge black angus bull standing there.
+++ - > Close to the secondary roads some forty yards away, rolling around on the hill sides. Hides are gittin a lil patchy and thinning from rubbing and rolling and scratchin, and the hot sun don't help with the remnants of an old worn out winter coat still coming off. Dang ticks are crawling and biting yuck.
The lucky rubber necking black bear hunter could have bear pepperoni along with some tender hams out of the black marauders. Bears are black, they hide in the dark shadows of forest and the coming of night they lose some fright, hey no light. So hunt early and late when road hunting for wild animals especially the bear.
One shot from a powerful rifle and the bear could go down if the shot is well placed in the boiler room.
Use a calibre like a .270 or bigger with about a 165 grains or so. Something that will open up inside the bear.
Using a .338 is ok but the bullet could go through without full expansion and make a small exit hole if it misses the bone.
You'll know when the bullet hits the bone . Golden Earing . He will come to kno ohhh when the boh lat hits the bone
So bears are getting seen now close in prime Kamloops Hunting Country
Jel (Dah) Bears of mu 3-27 are in --> l------ll------------------------------ll <--- No doubt

B-rad
05-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Yup bear are out for few weeks now,,,,I'm in barnhartvale and have seen 2 plus I had one roaming my property

Kami
05-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Yes it can be good around here in Kamloops. A concern is pressure. Many weekend hunter trips up here from the Lower Mainland. I am convinced that we lose a huge number of smaller bucks during any buck season in Oct. An awful lot of bucks that never make it to 4 points. I prefer snow hunting. My favourite time is Nov 11 to end of deer season in region 3. Less people it seems. Love the tracking in snow.

Tunkwa must be Sewepec for "Big Smoke hunting grounds". From there I stay far far away.

Jelvis
05-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Hunter's I know and their buddy in the quest for Kamloops mule deer anxiously wait for the deer hunting season to begin. Then it's out in the back roads hunting for bucks. Some excited hunters coming up from the Fraser Valley, some Vancouver and some the Rock.
Some locals will wait for cooler weather and the snow but many others will hit the opener looking for Mr. Big.
It's a marked day the deer hunting season openers. That's when we hear, " Deer hunters start your engines please. "
Region 3 has it all for the true mule deer hunter. You couldn't find a better place to take a first time mule deer hunter that is hoping for their first mule deer buck or antlerless mule deer. It doesn't get better than this folks. You've tried the rest Now try the best learn to invest, stick out that chest. October fest any buck.
Heck it ain't driving to Africa to hunt, no boats, no planes, it's less gas, less time and less driving, so drop your dollars in Kamloops. We welcome your hard earned dollars and you hunters too coming up. The fall is an exciting time here to see you pulling in and gassing up. Hitting Tim's and the gun stores.
Kamloops is a hunter friendly location with many hunters living here. A great stop for a short sweet all successful wild country hunting adventure.

Jelvis
05-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Mu 3-27 includes Pritchard to McGillivray Lake -- Pritchard to Hyas Lake -- Heffley Creek to Loius Creek.
Mu 3-27 is bounded on the south by the South Thompson River and Hwy 1.
This mu has good hunting spots all through the whole of MU 3-27, you can find herds of healthy mule deer, some whitetail, bear and moose plus birds. Some of the MU is semi open slopes and ridges if you like glassing far away.
Good secondary roads to drive on with off shoot roads into mega hunting country to see and explore if you have a truck or car early season but after mid fall -- it could snow, need chains maybe.
-- Heffley Creek turnoff onto the Sun Peaks to Tod Mtn road. Is your first hunting opportunity as you go north on the Yellowhead Hwy 5 out of Kamloops. The turnoff to Paul Lake is closer but because of the area being private sections and confusing for some, keep going to Heffley Creek then turn right up towards Sun Peaks way. This road drives through big game hunting country. It reaches the T of the Louis Creek road and you can drive out that way left in lush, mid level elevations on decent road, or turn right onto the Eileen fsr at the T and drive onto roads going up the mountainside or stay on the Eileen road and go down the Paul Lake fsr for late season huge muley bucks by Pemberton Lake, it's all great country to hunt. Along side the roads as you drive you pass multitudes of spots to see wild animals like mule deer, grouse, bear and moose km after km of wild country and semi-wild forest with road spurs running off into higher lakes and ridges. It's beauty hunting country all connected to Kamloops.
Jelly Jo Coffee

bc sportsman
05-20-2014, 06:01 PM
Hey Jelvis...nice to hear from you.

luckofthedraw
05-22-2014, 12:32 PM
This fall will be my first full season of hunting in the area. Limiteds are in, and scouting has more then began. I can't wait to get out a little more and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. Hopefully I can add something more to this thread as time goes on.

604redneck
05-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Sounds like hunting here is sweet! I normally hunt in Princeton and Quesnel, as well as the odd areas I don't visit often like Tulameen. Never hunted Kamloops, but hey, I'll give it a try (or 2) this fall! Is there a lot of hunters? Where/when can I get away from them.
Best chance to stay away from other hunters is to stay in van all hunting season other than that get off te quad or out of the truck and walk

markt308
05-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Best chance to stay away from other hunters is to stay in van all hunting season other than that get off te quad or out of the truck and walk

I don't know buddy I heard there's pretty much no hunters near kelowna and just tons of trophy bucks and spike fork moose around!

Jelvis
05-22-2014, 04:22 PM
Mu 3-29 is close to Kamloops, it kisses the north shore of Kamloops Lake. Stay west of Lac Du Bois Rd.
Go up through Batchelor Heights on the North Shore of Kamloops on the Lac Du Bois road.
Or another good access is going west up the Tranquille road on Kamloops North Shore all the way in MU 3-29.
This is the way you have arrived you are already in Cali Sheep Kamloops Lake MU 3-29 B, just need any type of car or mountain bike to get your legs walking and standing near Cali sheep herds. Check LEH boundary for legal Cali Sheep MU 3-29 B boundaries in your LEH paper and note open date and close date of valid tag.
Drive past the Kamloops Airport on the Tranquille road, and in no time you hit the Tranquille River.
Once over the little bridge the road snakes up the hill, towards the first turnoff turn left onto Frederick Road.
This road is important to hunters. Frederick Road off Tranquille road. Is the Dew Drop range. Check your Back Road Map Book now and see why and how the "Dew Drop" got famous for big bucks. Bah Hig Bah Hucks whoa and don't forget the massive full curl Cali rams right there, what, you gotta be kiddin me, holy cow and a great big sow.
We're going in for some major racks with huge tines friend a mines -- there's no other kinds
Full curls with an extra swirl, built like MACK trucks. Hope yah get an LEH? And you'll be in their face.

Kami
05-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Yup, plenty to see in Kamloops. These are all within region 3. There is no way I am going into specifics. You can find these all over BC.
Get out there enjoy it!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/308764_10150430688782160_721385665_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t1.0-9/303921_10150464010882160_709259322_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/247647_10151271570847160_221689041_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/558356_10151227862717160_63006026_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1531651_10152207404257160_218852387_n.jpg

markomoose
05-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Nice pics Kami.

Jelvis
05-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Since much of Region 3 lies within or adjacent to the semi-arid lands like the ones around Kamloops means much of the highland plateaus and ridges are lightly forested like the ones around Kamloops. You will see that as you come up from the coast.
This provides ideal hunting conditions for both bird shooting and big game hunting, so it is not surprizing that nearly all management units in Region 3 receive moderate to healthy hunting pressure.
Mule deer occur in good numbers through out nearly all of Region 3. Many around the Kamloops forest district.
Best moose hunting in 3 occurs in the Bonaparte/ Clearwater / Wells Gray Park high country.
Like I said mule deer hunting accounts for the most hunting days of all the big game around Kamloops.
The area northwest of Kamloops has some decent moose hunting as well as the slopes of the North Thompson River valley and into the high country above.
You can enter some nice big game hunting area via a road just west of Savano over the bridge on Hwy 1.
Just turn onto Sabaston Creek road or the Deadman Valley road. This is beautiful country to hunt.
Also this area has good mule deer hunting country and good grouse with good Cali-sheep, some nice moose, and healthy bear.
Some prime moose hunting can be experienced in this here spot, up Criss Creek way for an example.
You can get in by the Tranquille road heading west out of Kamloops nor shore and be in hunting country galore in twenty minutes of fast driving believe me, sheep, and big ones, mule deer and moose, grouse bear every thing you could imagine it could have and way more than you expected, it's Kamloops " Wild Country."

the bear
05-24-2014, 04:15 PM
hunting in Barriere area sucks much better in region 8

Jelvis
05-24-2014, 05:06 PM
MU 3-28
Westsyde to Little Fort
-----This is a fine giving back hunting m.u., it never fails to excite and satisfy a hunter. This unit runs along the west side of the North Thompson River from Westsyde (North Kamloops) to Little Fort. Think of that. Follows the river the whole unit long. From Kammy Nor shore to Little Fort. And all animals of the slopes drink fresh water from the river's edges. They live above on the ledges. Across the Nor River from the Hwy 5. So haha you can't get me over here A hole hahahaha. Wrong ever heard of a canoe or motor boat? Ahh Yah I heard that one already
-----Many good hard packed logging roads run along the ridges above this long narrow management unit 3-28 A/ B
Logging roads off Westsyde Road on the valley bottom head in west like O'conner Lake road and next Jamieson Creek fsr about 20 km from North Kamloops. These two gravel roads run into high class mule deer habitat along with some moose and whitetail deer with plenty black bear and healthy grouse if the spring was dry for the hatch. Rabbits by the dozens along the road eating clover. A mix of hilly country, high plateaus, some small half basins, ravines, slopes to glass, rich ridges with rocky bluffs, flats below ridges to scan, ponds with water, dry pond marsh, small lakes and clear streams with a perfect mix of vegetation, like berry bushes, knic nic (bear berry), aspen, willow, grass, evergreens, lots of moss, legumes, and a fair amount of second growth height about a decade old.
-----> Mu 3-28 was burnt over in major spots along the North Thompson river from Kamloops (Strawberry Hill) McClure, Skull, up Gorman, behind Boulder Mt rd., wildfires eleven years ago on the major slopes of the Nor River (North Thompson) River and some not being replanted so the ranchers cattle have more grass.
When you leave the North Shore of Kamloops on Westsyde road you drive north until the road drops down to the Yellowhead Hwy 5 just north of Barriere on the north side of the bridge over the North Thompson river.
That drainage you drop down to hit the Hwy 5, is the Peterson Creek which is the border to Mu 3-28's A and B sections on the leh grid maps. Can yah read? lol.
-----I would dare to say the North Thompson valley and that includes MU 3-28 is the loveliest most luscious living and super healthy river valley's on earth, that Mother Nature herself created to present her enormous talent, pride and love for her creatures living here.
----- Heading out from the Nor Shore from Westsyde. This valley is a treasure to all people who visit it, and lay their eyes and hands on her, the hunting community and all the varied and diverse outdoor enthusiasts. Hat's off for our British Columbia's Ministry of Wildlife and Lands for some excellent management practices and sustainable winter range capacity levels that are very successful in this Kamloops zone. Kamloops has always had the best top shelf wildlife people working up the hill. Co's, Bio's, staff, all the way up to the Top Gun. Kamloops brings them in generation after generation.
-----More later on MU 3-28 A and B - Jamieson Creek to Peterson Creek on Westsyde coming out at Barriere
Heading north to Barriere just south of "Hunting Heaven" -------- next with special guest ------ Sexy Rexy

markomoose
05-25-2014, 12:12 AM
Well thats pretty cool what you guys got in around the LOOPS.But I gotta tell you we're not so shabby up here in Prince George.A Zillion good fishing lakes close to town!Moose and Deer hunting in our back yard.Duck hunting out the Wazzoo.I think we might just be a better outdoor show than you guys JELVIS??Let the shit hit the fan!!!!!!!!!!

Islandeer
05-25-2014, 08:02 AM
Jelvis,

What about 3-20,Robbins,Bonaparte etc?

albravo2
05-25-2014, 08:45 AM
Well thats pretty cool what you guys got in around the LOOPS.But I gotta tell you we're not so shabby up here in Prince George.A Zillion good fishing lakes close to town!Moose and Deer hunting in our back yard.Duck hunting out the Wazzoo.I think we might just be a better outdoor show than you guys JELVIS??Let the shit hit the fan!!!!!!!!!!

PG or the Loops? Fair question unless you add prettiness of local girls into the equation. Or mosquitos. Kamloops has more of the good ones and fewer of the bad ones.

Kami
05-25-2014, 10:19 AM
PG does have a qwah-billion good fishing lakes. Any sheep or goats? Rattle snakes? The cougars down here? If you're at the Blue Grotto you will be attacked multiple times, especially as other bait is eaten.

Jelvis
05-25-2014, 04:37 PM
MU 3-20
Nicola Lake - Kamloops
You can access the area from Exit 290 off the gorgeous Coq 5, turn on the old Hwy 5a into hunting galore.
Make sure you reach the south boundary of 3-20 at the Douglas Lake-Westwold road to be in 3-20 on the 5a.
Largely open rangeland, this is a large management unit. It's bounded by Hwy 5a on the west, the South Thompson (Hwy1) along the north boundary, and by the Douglas Lake-Westwold road makes the south border.
From Hwy 5a, several roads run back into fair mule deer hunting country, this mule deer country produces extra large bodied deer and some of the biggest mule antler racks are from Mu 3-20. Try Salmon Lake area or Westwold for hugh mungus mule deer bucks. Plus a bonus -- what? Moose hombre' some nice ones abide
- Mostly mule deer, but whitetails are found here too, don't forget that, get a whitetail tag along with your mule.
Just hunt east of Hwy 5a if you want to be in MU 3-20 from the Douglas Lake-Westwold road turnoff through to Kamloops on Hwy 5a and go easterly to hunt.
More later on 3-20 - Monte Lake Madness - Trapp Lake mania - Beaverhouse bonkers - Roche, I need a shrink!

heith proulx
05-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Wow Jelvis you seem to know everything. You should just open your own Kamloops guiding service and in no time all of B.C will be here.

Jelvis
05-25-2014, 09:13 PM
=-///--------> MU 3-18 <------&-----------> Mu 3-19 <-------///-=
-------Spences Bridge - Merritt ---------- Savona - Tunkwa Lake---
The road to Tunkwa Lake is off Hwy 1, The Trans Canada highway just east of Savano, turn up where the old highway use to go. The old Summer Range road, now Tunkwa Lake road, the way to Logan Lake from Savano is the boundary between Mu 3-19 and Mu 3-18. (Check your map book Mu boundaries.) Mu 3-19 is east of the Tunkwa Lake road and MU 3-18 is west of the road. The same road you use to get to Tunkwa Lake and spur roads off. This road runs up from Hwy 1, as you start up and hit the top of the first little hill there's a road off to the left (east) just by a house on top as you level out on the hill. This left road goes to Pat Lake and is in Mu 3-19 it goes under the power lines some fabulous mountain hunting for deer and moose. Keep going on the main road and it winds a bit to the right and goes around a big hay field and one road cuts off to the right (west) into MU 3-18, the Hayward Farmer Rd. This meets onto the Indian Gardens road going out passed and just above Walhachin and out to Ashcroft on Barnes Lake road when passable. Excellent late winter mule deer herds in here about November.
Instead of turning off Tunkwa Lake road keep going past and you drive up and through a little valley with Duran Creek beside it. On either side of this small valley is good mule deer and huge blue grouse, the higher you hike the more you see, as simple as that. This valley has good sized mule bucks especially late season after the snow hits the mountains real good pushing the herds down. Hunt outside of any ranch property.
More information on Mu 3-18 and 3-19 coming up soon - Moose, mule deer, whitetail, blue grouse, bear, cougar.
Both Mu's have ungulate enriched habitat with fair to good populations, and more than suitable for the serious trophy type hunter to max him or herself out, and or for the rubber necking road hunter pushing through the forest service roads and checking the slopes and clear cuts and marshes.

northernmoon
08-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Yes the change to 2 whitetails is sweet, can't wait, and I'm happy with a november combo hunt moose deer, hit the road afterr fresh snow and track what ever comes first moose or deer, will be great

I would like to know where is the best place to hunt whitetail near kamloops is please help

Steelpulse
08-17-2014, 06:05 PM
In the bush, does that help haha, going to have to try a little more than that but there are deer everywhere in the area, find a fsr and go

Darksith
08-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Wow Jelvis you seem to know everything. You should just open your own Kamloops guiding service and in no time all of B.C will be here.

he does know everything...everything from 1964 or whenever that book was written that he keeps referencing. Nothing but hunters in Kamloops, all the deer are gone due to wolves. Keep driving people! lol

6pt_elk_wannabe
08-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Low elevations and such, I would generally think east is better?

northernmoon
08-19-2014, 02:50 PM
I am able to hunt weekdays anywhere around kamloops and is looking for someone who is interested in joining me I hunt whitetail and mule deer and will share meat and costs of hunt

northernmoon
08-19-2014, 02:51 PM
best place to find them is in 3-18 and 3-19 have had great succcess in past

Jelvis
08-19-2014, 10:21 PM
For whitetails closer to Kamloops, go up LacDubois Lake and just b4 you get there look at the whitetail habitat around ten km up to the lake, look right and left as you go.
Drive up park and go for an exciting hunt on foot for an hour or so.

Logan Lake area is good, Surrey/Sussex and down from Logan lake towards Tunkwa.
And up by the Coldwater creek up the Pinnatan road to Paul Lake, just make sure your out of the Indian Reserve.
Pritchard area Robbins Range and around Roche Lake
I do like LacDuBois and Logan lake areas to see a whitetail.

northernmoon
08-21-2014, 04:22 PM
This will be a great thread, I am a kamloops hunter and am more than happy to add to this, we have an amazing area here in the interior, my brother and I hunt everywhere in the area, greenstone mounting 3-19a being our favourite big game area, we have taken some very nice mule deer and a nice leh bull last year within sight of new gold mine, the most important thing in this area hunting close to the loops is to just get off the road, there is so much game here its crazy.

Head down to stump lake area and find upland galore, we do very well down t here for grouse and rabbit, haven't hunted any big game that way though.

Most bodies of water hold ducks but some areas produced very well for us with limits opening day and limits throughout the season, we took 63 ducks out of one pond last year over a bunch of hunts however not gonna name that spot haha its in the area though. Just takes some pre season scouting to find a good spot.

For bears we have found 3-27 to be pretty good and will be taking a couple with predator calling this may June, pictures and video to come later this month.

Overall 3-19 is our go to area for every animal in the regs, last year took mule deer moose whitetail duck goose rabbit grouse all off greenstone and chewls

I am looking for someone who would be interested in teaming up with for this years hunt during the weekdays I am in Kamloops and is looking for a hunting partner during the weekdays to hunt in the kamloops area contact me at b.fenton@shaw.ca

Jelvis
08-21-2014, 05:07 PM
northernmoon put your hunting partner request on the hunting partner sticky on top of the Open Chat, Hunting Buddy's Classified -- Then people will see your request in more numbers.
Check the Open Chat page and on top of the page and find it there.
-- More people will see your request from out of town and can come up and stay with you or meet you. Then go out for day hunts. Scout around
Learn some good spots together and get some big game action happening
Prolly get some pm'z
Jelly ( Ship ) Shape

northernmoon
09-04-2014, 09:38 AM

If you are interested in letting another hunter to join you please contact me at b.fenton@shaw.ca I am free to hunt weekdays and weekends

northernmoon
09-17-2014, 11:51 PM
i live in kamloops and never seen any whitetail i have 2 tags this year to share with anyone who knows where they are

4 point
09-18-2014, 08:45 AM
There around for sure.

Darksith
09-18-2014, 09:12 AM
nine trolls from northern moon...no one snagged yet lol

northernmoon
10-25-2014, 12:40 AM
I hunt in area 3 27 and 3 18 and I have been very lucky getting my mule deer every year but I havent seen any whitetail at all I plan to go moose hunting in November but if anyone has suggestions of where there is the best chance in finding whitetail let me know

Kami
10-25-2014, 01:09 PM
I hunt in area 3 27 and 3 18 and I have been very lucky getting my mule deer every year but I havent seen any whitetail at all I plan to go moose hunting in November but if anyone has suggestions of where there is the best chance in finding whitetail let me know

White tail are in pockets around Kamloops. You have to spot one by chance to know where they are. I saw some last year near Tunkwa Lake and a few other areas I would rather not share. They way to find them is to put in extra scouting time with a trail cam. White tail are extremely sketched out animals. Any noise and they are generally gone. Often before you ever get a chance to see one. Planting a trail cam for a week, then checking it and moving it to another area is a start. Do this year round and you will find them and know exactly where to hunt them when the season starts.

This is what I, and many others do. Many trips to the bush planting and checking trail cams year round. Much time and gas invested to earn the secrets to where they roam. This is why we are mostly reluctant to share these locations. Especially fresh hot intelligence from this hunting season. Good luck.

nickjs
11-13-2014, 12:17 AM
I am heading to Kamloops for a family obligation this weekend and am planning on sneaking out saturday morning for a drive/hike about before people are awake to miss me. Hoping to get lucky and break the streak but an adventure and hike will suffice if nothing else. Been skunked this year. I spent 2 weekends doing spring black bear and 3 days in kelowna for mule and white tale with nothing to show. Hopefully tag something soon and get some meat. Taken a lot of ducks and geese this year but nothing big. Wish me luck lads (and ladies). Thinking of heading North East out of Kamloops proper.

Kami
11-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Are you still after white tail? You mentioned NE. Like Cahilty and Knouff, areas?

nickjs
11-14-2014, 01:45 AM
I have whitetail, mule and black bear tags I hvent touched. Don't know the area was just going to head out and see what happens

Steelpulse
11-14-2014, 02:16 AM
Lots of white tails around the loops, don't need to go far, we chased a bunch around this weekend, couldn't connect, but not worried about tagging one, hopefully 2

Jelvis
08-20-2015, 10:51 PM
Lots of mule deer and moose being seen around the hills of Kamloops and by Deadman and Logan Lake.
We had a mild shorter winter than usual and the animals are thriving because of it.
This year 2015 be close to lakes and ponds and streams because the forest is dry and it looks like warmer than normal temps right into late October. Our pre cip count is low just like all places this year, the Thompson rivers are at sept levels already.
So I would find a little lake or wet pond off road for some hunting action.
Jel -- We're up to date and ready to hit the starting line -- hunters start your engines --