PDA

View Full Version : Bear down , what to do with the hide?

BRrooster
05-17-2014, 05:29 PM
My daughter and I bagged a 5ft Blackie this AM. We saw a bit of sign in the area and decided to walk out on a ridge and
have a look around. Spotted him at about 350yds , below us and watched him for maybe 15 to 20 minutes. We were able to
close the distance to 270 yards and waited till the shot was right. He didnt even know we were there. The wind was perfect.
One shot from the M77 7MMmag and the work began.
But as the title states, Im in it for the meat, and dont want the hide. Any ideas? Seems a shame to dump it in the woods
with the bones.
cheers
Bruce and Tracy

05-17-2014, 06:13 PM
Lots of folks would likely want it. Throw er in the freezer for now .......... Shame to waste it. In the mean time ask your local butcher if he smokes bear hams. They are to die for, just like piggy smoked.

Congrats and some may say no pics ..... It didn't happen.

BRrooster
05-17-2014, 06:56 PM
4842Flat Profile!

gerrygoat
05-17-2014, 06:56 PM
You could give it to a friend or sell it to a fur buyer. And yes, pics would be nice :)

gerrygoat
05-17-2014, 06:58 PM
He does have a nice hide, looks pretty good.

MichelD
05-17-2014, 06:59 PM
I leave 'em in woods with the guts.

Pioneerman
05-17-2014, 07:01 PM
Congrats on the bear , nice clean looking hide

Pioneerman
05-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Most people do leave the hides behind unless they are big or exceptional markings or if they want to get the fur done themselves, I have only ever brought one home out of a couple dozen. Not everyone wants another persons hides either, it would be sort of like displaying someone else's bowling trophy's on your mantle ;-)

B-rad
05-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Congrats on the bush pig

bc_buckshot
05-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Dont throw away the hide... Roll it up nicely with the flesh inside touching. Call A1 fur traders in vernon and ask to get it tanned. Doesnt cost a whole lot and when its tanned you can give it to your daughter as her trophy. Lay it on the couch, on the bed or as a bed mat. Bear looks like it has a nice hide to keep.

BRrooster
05-26-2014, 01:50 PM
My daughter got her first Black Bear this last weekend , on May24th. She left camp all by herself on a Quad ride to check out a new area, and
spotted this guy on the road. He wasn't in any hurry and that was his last mistake. One shot from her 7mm-08, from a kneeling position, and
the deed was done. Best of all, he ran uphill!!!! He made it about 40 yards befor packing it in. She came back to camp , and got help to get him
out. Nose to tail he measured 5 ft 6in. Bigger than Dads! http://rs1060.pbsrc.com/albums/t458/crbr1234BRrooster/IMG_2094_zps4d20bc79.jpg~c200

itsy bitsy xj
05-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Congrats to both of you

one-shot-wonder
05-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Good job to both of you! Nice to see some bears hit the dirt. Good looking hides and even better eats!

wideopenthrottle
04-02-2015, 07:28 AM
If you think you may want to keep a hide, carry about 10 lbs of rock salt (my buddy uses the kosher salt from the grocery store). After carefully removing most of the flesh and fat without cutting the hide, apply about 1/2 cm thick layer of salt and wait about 1 hour...much liquid will have been sucked out and it should be poured off the hide before applying another 1/2 cm of salt that can sit on it over night. in the morning shake off the excess salt and roll it up for later. This salted hide will keep this way without refrigeration for quite some time...
wide

ursusbait
04-02-2015, 03:48 PM
If you think you may want to keep a hide, carry about 10 lbs of rock salt (my buddy uses the kosher salt from the grocery store). After carefully removing most of the flesh and fat without cutting the hide, apply about 1/2 cm thick layer of salt and wait about 1 hour...much liquid will have been sucked out and it should be poured off the hide before applying another 1/2 cm of salt that can sit on it over night. in the morning shake off the excess salt and roll it up for later. This salted hide will keep this way without refrigeration for quite some time...
wide

Good info thanks.
I didn't realize that many people left the hide in the bush.

Redo
04-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Quick question for you? Were you hunting in the Okanagan? Not looking for any specifics, just curious.

My daughter and I bagged a 5ft Blackie this AM. We saw a bit of sign in the area and decided to walk out on a ridge and
have a look around. Spotted him at about 350yds , below us and watched him for maybe 15 to 20 minutes. We were able to
close the distance to 270 yards and waited till the shot was right. He didnt even know we were there. The wind was perfect.
One shot from the M77 7MMmag and the work began.
But as the title states, Im in it for the meat, and dont want the hide. Any ideas? Seems a shame to dump it in the woods
with the bones.
cheers
Bruce and Tracy

bigdogeh
04-03-2015, 09:37 AM
last one I shot I gave the hide to my hunting partner at the time. he also bagged a black bear on the same trip. He used to take the hides, dressed, and sold them, usually to americans I believe for about 6 to 800 at the time according to size, quality, etc... it used to help supplement his wild hog hunting trips to australia he used to take every second year or so....

ratherbefishin
04-03-2015, 11:55 AM
What does it cost to just have the hide tanned(no head mount,no backing)?

Rackmastr
04-03-2015, 01:27 PM
What does it cost to just have the hide tanned(no head mount,no backing)?

Lots of variables (if its fleshed/salted or if you're paying someone to do that as well). Are you dropping it off at a taxidermist and having them remove paws/head or doing it yourself?

Size of bear will make a difference as well. If you were dropping off a salted/dried hide that was ready to be tanned at a tannery, the retail cost would most likely be around $250-400 depending on size, tannery, etc.

If you were to add in fleshing costs, handling, shipping to tannery, etc from different taxidermists or the cost that a tannery would charge you for fleshing or removing paws/head then that price obviously rises quickly.

Wild Images has a good thread on it from a few years ago.

ratherbefishin
04-03-2015, 06:41 PM
I had one bear rug done,head mount,paws and on felt for about $100 a foot,but that was years ago,no idea what it would cost now,even for just tanning,or even where to send it.Mainly I just hunt bear for the meat,not the hide but I hate just wasting it too.

rides bike to work
04-03-2015, 09:24 PM
Pacific tannery in Vancouver will tan for pretty cheap. If you don't want it call some taxidermists and ask if they will by the hide. Some do

ratherbefishin
04-04-2015, 08:21 AM
Taxidermists have to make a living,and there is no money just tanning a hide and not much more doing a rug with all the work involved.I've salted and dried deer skins for rugs,that might be an option,but I'll give the tannery a call