PDA

View Full Version : Broadhead/arrow weight question

r106
05-16-2014, 05:26 PM
The whole spine strength, arrow weight, broadhead weight, length of arrows, draw length and poundage #'s get confusing. Basically I'm wondering if I'm on the right track with the stuff I got.

My set up right now is a PSE Surge #60 29" draw. I have Gold Tip 7595 Hunter expedition 30.5" arrows. Arrow weight is 309.8. I'm thinking of trying 100gr Monotecs and 100gr Grim Reaper mechanical to see what works best. Bringing my total arrow weight to about 410gr

How does that combo sound? I haven't been able to chrony it as my chrony is on the frits

lorneparker1
05-16-2014, 05:34 PM
I agree its super confusing. I tried to figure out for a bit then basically said screw it. Bought some decent arrows, but sharp tips on them, practised a lot and went and killed stuff.

Ambush
05-16-2014, 08:30 PM
Sounds like your arrows are a bit long and over spined, but the weight is good. I like total weight to be above 400 gr. Mass is more important than speed for penetration and your bow will be quieter as well.

Foxtail
05-16-2014, 08:43 PM
Seems like the arrows are a bit over spined. But being a bit long they may be fine. The number on your arrows "7595" means they are spined for draw weights of 75 pounds to 95 pounds, or at least that's how I understand it. Leaving them long, and using heavier heads will keep them usable. What weight field points are you using? Make sure your broadheads are the same weight.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-16-2014, 08:50 PM
Here's the Gold Tip chart.
http://www.goldtip.com/arrowcontent.aspx?page=chart

and recommendations
http://www.goldtip.com/arrowcontent.aspx?page=recommendation

Ambush
05-16-2014, 09:02 PM
One of the problems with arrow spine is that some manufacturers have taken it upon themselves to screw up the spine value system.:twisted: 7595 is just an arbitrary number that has little value to the casual buyer. Some have decided to list their arrows backwards for some reason. A 400 arrow is actually a 200 spine, exactly opposite of what it should be. :confused: You must look up the actual, true spine value to be sure.

Spine is an actual measurement of shaft deflection under a specific load and has been used for hundreds of years.

You would be very safe with a 400 spined arrow, cut to 29", with a 100 to 125 grain head. I shoot Easton Axis and ICS Beeman Hunters [also made by Easton]. Try for an arrow that weighs around 9 - 11 grains per inch. That will give you a good hunting weight. If you're only going to shoot 3D and target go lighter.

r106
05-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Here's the Gold Tip chart.
http://www.goldtip.com/arrowcontent.aspx?page=chart

and recommendations
http://www.goldtip.com/arrowcontent.aspx?page=recommendation

According to that chart the spine strength is about right for that arrow length. But close enough were I could go down in strength. What would the benefits be to going to a weaker spine strength? or say a shorter arrow? Or is just what ever shoots better?

r106
05-16-2014, 09:20 PM
One of the problems with arrow spine is that some manufacturers have taken it upon themselves to screw up the spine value system.:twisted: 7595 is just an arbitrary number that has little value to the casual buyer. Some have decided to list their arrows backwards for some reason. A 400 arrow is actually a 200 spine, exactly opposite of what it should be. :confused: You must look up the actual, true spine value to be sure.

Spine is an actual measurement of shaft deflection under a specific load and has been used for hundreds of years.

You would be very safe with a 400 spined arrow, cut to 29", with a 100 to 125 grain head. I shoot Easton Axis and ICS Beeman Hunters [also made by Easton]. Try for an arrow that weighs around 9 - 11 grains per inch. That will give you a good hunting weight. If you're only going to shoot 3D and target go lighter.

Great they decided to make it more confusing for me. LOL.

I believe I read the 7595 are 350 spine. does that sound right?

r106
05-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Seems like the arrows are a bit over spined. But being a bit long they may be fine. The number on your arrows "7595" means they are spined for draw weights of 75 pounds to 95 pounds, or at least that's how I understand it. Leaving them long, and using heavier heads will keep them usable. What weight field points are you using? Make sure your broadheads are the same weight.

I'm using 100gr field points thats why I stuck to 100gr broadheads.

Ambush
05-16-2014, 09:35 PM
Miss-matched arrow combinations will cause tuning problems. You can never be as good as you can be when your set up is fighting you. Some guys figure just because they can hit a target their set up must be good. Arrow that don't fly straight and true accentuate form problems and rob penetration sometimes severely. And there is no reason to settle for poor performance.

My hunting bow is set at 29" draw length, 65# draw eight. Arrows are 28 1/2" long excluding the head; 400 spine. 125 grain head for a total weight of 425 grains. Arrows pass through almost everything. They stick out the other side of moose, bears are always pass through's and that is with a large mechanical head.

Midland
05-17-2014, 06:24 AM
I really like the GR mechanicals. I am using 100 grain, fly nice and great cutting power!

The whole spine strength, arrow weight, broadhead weight, length of arrows, draw length and poundage #'s get confusing. Basically I'm wondering if I'm on the right track with the stuff I got.

My set up right now is a PSE Surge #60 29" draw. I have Gold Tip 7595 Hunter expedition 30.5" arrows. Arrow weight is 309.8. I'm thinking of trying 100gr Monotecs and 100gr Grim Reaper mechanical to see what works best. Bringing my total arrow weight to about 410gr

How does that combo sound? I haven't been able to chrony it as my chrony is on the frits

Riverbc
05-17-2014, 07:36 AM
For what it`s worth.....your current set up of 410 grains, will give you approx. arrow speed of 266 ft/sec, and KE of 64 ft-lbs. With an arrow weight of 375 grains, your approx arrow speed would be 277 ft/sec, and KE of 64 ft-lbs as well. So more speed and same Kinetic energy. Either set up is good for deer or black bear.

Since you are new I recommend you read all 5 chapters at http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_arrows/hunting_arrows_selection_guide_chapter_1.html Some very good information about arrows. Below is a copy and paste from chapter 2.

" If you have a modern center-shot cutaway riser bow which is already setup, finding your optimal arrow length is easy. Simply draw an arrow back to full draw and hold, while another person (safely standing to the side of course) takes a Sharpie marker and makes a mark on the arrow approximately 1" forward of the arrow rest. Then measure the arrow from the groove of the nock (like in Chapter 1) to the mark on the arrow, and you've got it."

BTW ...I have a 28 inch draw length and cut my arrows to 26.5 inches. (total arrow weight 372 g) I have put 3 arrows into deer and all 3 arrows passed through and continued at least another 15 yards.

Foxtail
05-17-2014, 11:34 AM
What you want is for your arrow to recover quickly outof your bow. If your spine is too soft the arrow will flex too much and take too long and too much distance to recover and fly straight, losing speed and energy. A spine that is too heavy will not flex enough and cause the arrow to fishtail and not fly straight, losing speed and energy.

r106
05-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the help guy's. I will try a shorter lighter spine arrow and see how it flys

Vader
05-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Theres a great little program called "On Target Shaft selector". It takes the mystery out of proper arrow selection. Allows you to make adjustments to fletch, length, inserts etc to achieve the ideal shaft for your bow. Most would be suprised at the results. IMO well worth the 15 bucks or whatever it costs now and a 5 buck upgrade every 2-3 years.

StoneChaser
05-18-2014, 10:58 AM
You are definitely NOT over spined. Those arrows are 350's and you'll have a great combo there with 100 gr broadheads.

donny.brooke
05-21-2014, 05:08 PM
I have great success using the carbon express arrow selecter. It asks more than just what poundage you shoot and after i program my info in it gave me a poundage of 71 when i actually shoot a 62lbs bow and recomended a 340 spine shaft cut to 29 inches. This info matched my buddies archers advantage computer program info. Bow papertuned in about 5 minutes and my field points and broadheads shoot to same impact points out to 60 yards.