PDA

View Full Version : River fishing with spin rod questions

dak0ta
05-15-2014, 10:41 PM
Hi,

For fishing for trout on a river with a spin rod what is a good lure setup?

I've read that you can use:

1) rooster tail, cast it out and reel it in
2) dry flies with a float/bob further up
3) nymph with a split shot that sinks below the water; float optional
4) lures with spinners, colours etc. that can be cast out and reeled in.

In your guys experience, what works in most scenarios?

adriaticum
05-15-2014, 10:50 PM
You should really have all of the above.
Rooster tail, panther martins are good.
Rooster tails have the extra bit of feathers which is nice.
You can fish small spoons too.
Spoons are good when you can't get he spinners to properly spin.
I think the choice of lure has more to do with the speed of the water than anything else.
If you can't get it to spin properly it's no good.
I've fished nymphs with a float.
It's not an ideal setup, but if you must you must.

dak0ta
05-15-2014, 10:58 PM
So the rooster tail or something similar would be the best bet? I'm thinking of trying the Squamish river or Cheakamus river.

What size hook and lure weight is good? How about line weight?

hookedonblacktails
05-15-2014, 11:04 PM
Blue fox....I like orange

Good2bCanadian
05-15-2014, 11:19 PM
Mepps silver or gold for trout.

Big black blades with orange spots for bull trout.

Foxtail
05-16-2014, 12:01 AM
I have fished a lot, my go to lure when all else fails, is a red devil spoon. I have caught way more trout on those little red and white spoons than any other lure. Fast water, slow water, dirty water, clear water... Doesn't seem to matter. I always have a few in my kit and I always end up giving at least one away to someone who is also having no luck.

dak0ta
05-16-2014, 12:22 AM
Shall I just go buy one of each and just try em out and see which works? Seems like trout change up their biting habits and it's best to have a variety in case something else works.

adriaticum
05-16-2014, 01:54 AM
And yes blue fox and mepps are great. Don't forget peach wool too.

05-16-2014, 07:16 AM
Roostertails are great (Black)
Panther martins, just make sure you have a swivel ,,, panthers are horrible for spinning your line up. (silver blade yellow body with red dots)
Mepps, Black fury ( the name is black fury lol )
Blue foxes.... ( Traditional Silver or Gold )

All of the above in 1/8 oz or Number 0-2 depending.
I use the hooks they come with but some people will cut off the hook then put on a Split ring and a Gammy... This will place the hook a bit further back so you will get some more of them "Short biters"
6Lb Mono,,, i hate Fluro carbon... Maxima or that Blue box Triline... maybe even 4lb if the fish are the right size,,,,,, but not 8-12 unless you are into big fish like 4lb+ 8-12 is what i use for Steelhead... not a -20" Rainbow.

Dont forget the venerable Crocadile,, Brass with the orange stripe... in the smaller sizes..

When i was primairily fishing with a spinning rod i never used flys on my gear, i had friends that did but i found hardware to be more productive then a fly on a spinning rod. Later i found alot of this had to do with the guys using the wrong flys..

BRvalley
05-16-2014, 07:29 AM
you can get a hundred different answers to your question, and none of them wrong either...just gotta experiment and find your own confidence lures

small spoons and spinners, in a variety of colours, bright, dark, natural, all chrome/gold, they all have their time and place....also easy to make your own spinners, and cheap, there aren't many spinners designed to fish deep water, Mepps XD is one of my favourites, panther martins too....but you can also make your own, army navy has lots of components, heavier body, small blade....if you know a fly tying buddy you can get some dressed single hooks to replace the trebles, I always like to tie in little flashabou and the UV fibre stuff, a tiny bit really stands out

for the squamish/cheak I've done well using micro tube jigs, typically marketed for panfish, can float them or cast and jig them in, a ton of colours available and they do a great job imitating salmon fry that the trout gorge on...tie them with a loop knot to get a bit more action....just make sure you don't fish with the scented versions if the regs have a bait ban

Wild one
05-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Depends on the river and species of trout really

I general a good mix of spinners and spoons is a good way to go. Trout will nail larger spinners and spoons then most think so it don't hurt have some large heavy lures for deep and fast water.

For colours silver, gold, white, red, yellow, pink, and blue combination treat me well

All the brands mentioned are good but spinners and spoons are basic so most work

Flat fish held in the current can work well also

With rivers it is more about where you cast your lure than anything in my opinion

dak0ta
05-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Hey guys

Do you think I'll have better luck fishing the lakes or rivers in and around Squamish? I'm sort of new to fresh water fishing. I know there are different techniques. Lakes seemed to be stocked, does that mean it's only catch and release? I don't have the synopsis on me at the moment.

05-16-2014, 02:27 PM
When you are on the computer you can punch "Bc Freshwater" into google and get the regs..
Stocking a lake does not mean its catch and release. It is only catch and release if it says so in the regs..

I dont know Squamish.... but,, I love rivers.

Wild one
05-17-2014, 08:41 AM
I would give the rivers a little time to clear up and come down in water level but under the right conditions they are great. At this time I would stick to lakes

ryanb
05-17-2014, 09:23 AM
No retention of trout from streams in region 2! Read the regs!

Wild one
05-17-2014, 09:59 AM
No retention of trout from streams in region 2! Read the regs!

I recommend you do the same.

You are allowed 2 hatchery trout over 30 cm unless the river or stream you are fishing has additional regs

dak0ta
05-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Newb question, hatchery fish have a tag on their fins to indicate they are hatchery?

Yea you are allowed to retain trout in streams!

Reg 2

Trout/Char: 4, but no more than 1 over 50 cm (2 hatchery steelhead over 50 cm allowed); 2 from streams (must be hatchery); 1 char (bull rout, Dolly Varden, or lake trout)

steel_ram
05-17-2014, 04:31 PM
It is extremely clear in the regulations how hatchery fish are marked by clipping of the adipose fin. Read them.

ryanb
05-17-2014, 06:05 PM
I don't consider steelhead trout ...

Legi0n
05-17-2014, 07:14 PM

but it is a (rainbow) trout who traveled more :)

Wild one
05-18-2014, 08:37 AM

There are hatchery cutties as well I have caught lots of them

Yes the hatchery rainbows are young steelhead which are just a sea run rainbow

No you will not find any hatchery bulls/dollies as there is no hatchery program

Regardless the regs state 2 hatchery trout limit so yes you can keep trout from rivers and streams

Foxtail
05-18-2014, 08:05 PM
All hatchery fish have their adipose fin clipped. It is the small fin between the tail and the dorsal fin.