PDA

View Full Version : Gutless Method for a bear?

Goose
05-15-2014, 01:48 PM
Hey guys, just looking for some help, links or some info on how to do the gutless method on a bear. I dont want to really waste any meat.
But I dont think Im wanting to keep the hide.
I wont have a quad to pack it out, planning to take a small dirt bike, So ill be baggin and hangin until I get back with the truck.

Cheers!

Gateholio
05-15-2014, 01:50 PM
You get exactly the same amount of meat with gutless method as you do with the old fashioned gutting method. It's the best way for bears too.

05-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Crazy not too

Goose
05-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Sorry let me clarify a bit. I am unsure of how to do the gutless method, and dont want to waste any meat by doing it wrong. It appears to be the go-to approach from what I have read for most animals if not all.
Do I just chop of the limbs then go after the back straps? How do I get the tenderloins out?

THanks!

VancouverSkiBum
05-15-2014, 02:22 PM
So most large game animals are the same when it comes to it, from what ive learned. Ill be trying the gutless for the 1st time with my bear this spring. Watch some videos on youtube of them doing other animals.

http://youtu.be/NZZZqSFMSZQ

Ubertuber
05-15-2014, 02:36 PM
Once you remove the hinds you can reach in and grab the tenderloins. Takes a bit of feeling around, but is quite simple once you get your hands on them (they're in a little pouch sorta thing, not directly in the gut cavity. Bring a pillow case or two for the trim.
Never done a bear, but I have done moose and deer and I'm told they are the same.

Moose Guide
05-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Bear down! skin top half. Take off front leg(lift on paw and cut flesh beneath, you will find a sort of hollow between the shoulder and the ribs) Take off the back leg by cutting in the crease between the belly and leg. Follow the crease up to the hip bone and down beside the anus, the ball joint at the pelvis will separate easily! Now take the backstraps by pealing them away from the spine, next is the neck meat and rib/belly meat(if you go slowly you will not open the gut cavity) Last is the tenderloins, make an incision between the ribs and hip tight to the short ribs(spine), now you can see the TL, if you are careful you can remove them without opening the gut cavity! Now turn the carcass over and repeat!!!

swampthing
05-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Moose guide spelled it out pretty good. Once you learn it its hard to go back to actually spilling guts. Don't be shy about making a mistake. The more you do it the better you get. Cut and wrappin your own stuff comes next.

pete_k
05-15-2014, 07:37 PM
There are ALOT of videos on gutless method on youtube.

Fred1
05-15-2014, 08:12 PM
. Havent tried the gutless method yet. It seems slow...? I see the merits of it though. I can do a moose, head off, legs off, guts out, and halved in about 10-12 mins (hide still on) on a good day, with a leg holder. Mind you its not ready for a pack show just yet. Im really looking fwd to doing a self taught gutless this fall!!

moosinaround
05-15-2014, 08:23 PM
I bone out a bear for sausage anyways, so I started to do the gutless on it. Good practice on a bear, and you can try twice before you do a deer or moose or elk!! YouTube is your friend!! Moosin

Goose
05-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Hey thanks alot for all your help guys! Great info, I have watched some youtube videos, but not alot of them specific for bear. This is going to be my first bear hunt, just want to do it right.....or attempt to do it right

Mishka
05-16-2014, 08:18 AM
I did the gutless method on a moose for the first time. It did take more time and effort in the field, but I think it saved time in the long run. As far as the tenderloin, I ended up slitting the belly at the end and removing the tenderloin. That way I could see what I was doing. You still don't need to remove the guts, just move them out of the way. Perhaps with more experience that will change. I learnt by watching youtube. Once you start working on the animal, it all makes sense and it's pretty simple.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-16-2014, 08:52 AM
Hey thanks alot for all your help guys! Great info, I have watched some youtube videos, but not alot of them specific for bear. This is going to be my first bear hunt, just want to do it right.....or attempt to do it right

Bear is no different than hoofed animals. Just slightly different shape.
It can be more trickey if you're saving the hide for a rug or tanning. Doing a dorsal cut on an ungulate is much easier. Do a dorsal cut on a bear if you're not keeping the hide.

SSS

Morel
05-16-2014, 08:27 PM
When using the gutless method, how do you leave evidence of the animal's sex?

Moose Guide
05-16-2014, 09:02 PM
It is easy to leave a testicle attached to a hind leg, I try to leave one on the first leg so that if I mess up I have one more chance!

Moose Guide
05-16-2014, 09:06 PM
. Havent tried the gutless method yet. It seems slow...? I see the merits of it though. I can do a moose, head off, legs off, guts out, and halved in about 10-12 mins (hide still on) on a good day, with a leg holder. Mind you its not ready for a pack show just yet. Im really looking fwd to doing a self taught gutless this fall!!

You save whatever time it takes to gut and halve, all other chores should be equal!

Morel
05-16-2014, 09:12 PM
It is easy to leave a testicle attached to a hind leg, I try to leave one on the first leg so that if I mess up I have one more chance!

Got it. Thanks for the advice.

Moose Guide
05-16-2014, 10:02 PM
Moose guide spelled it out pretty good. Once you learn it its hard to go back to actually spilling guts. Don't be shy about making a mistake. The more you do it the better you get. Cut and wrappin your own stuff comes next.

Thank you, along with cutting and wrapping is sausage making, my deer sausage from last fall is to die for!!! Oh crap, just threw out my shoulder pattin myself on the back;)

swampthing
05-17-2014, 07:16 AM
Remember to leave a patch of hide to on animals other than bears. COs seem to be ok with pulling all the hide off a bear as most people want them intact.

fearnodeer
05-17-2014, 08:03 AM
Once you have gone gutless you will never go back, done it to Moose, Elk, Deer and Bison, taking a young fellow out for bear in a couple of weeks so it's next on the list.