PDA

View Full Version : Best way to mount rifle on mountain bike?

bcd
05-13-2014, 09:29 PM
What do you think is the best configuration to mount a rifle on a mountain bike?

The two that I can think of are across the handle bars or vertically parallel to the shocks. On the handlebars would be the easiest to make but could make it hard to get through tight areas.

Dannybuoy
05-13-2014, 09:44 PM
I'd just wear it with the sling across my shoulders .... quick access and no worries about smackin it or having it shake something loose or out of whack .

bcd
05-14-2014, 07:38 AM
I tried that before but with a pack on it doesn't work so well. But I guess I could put my pack on a rack over the rear tire and then it could work.

Here are a few photos I found, just throwing out ideas.

http://www.cogburnoutdoors.com/images/bikes/cb4_with_rifle.png
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t70/CamoDeafie/P4030219_zps89c7f97e.jpg
http://www.combatreform.org/ubike2000.gif
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac314/AR15_Oly1/MtBike.jpg
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8664/dsc0275ew.jpg

2tins
05-14-2014, 09:18 AM
probably on a turret right on the handle bars.

bcd
05-14-2014, 11:07 AM
probably on a turret right on the handle bars.

But then you'd want belt fed and that'd throw the weight distribution off too much :mrgreen:

MichelD
05-14-2014, 11:10 AM
I like it slung over my shoulder. Crossways on the handlebars would make it awkward to get through narrow overgrown trails, even though when I encounter those I park the bike and sneak in on foot.

I'd also be nervous about the scope mounts taking a pounding in any other carry method other than shoulder sling.

r106
05-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Get a backpack that will hold a rifle.

hoochie
05-14-2014, 02:36 PM
you could call Red Jacket and have them do some R&D.. get to blow up some acetylene at the end of the episode. They seem to like to piss away money on stupid stuff.

Foxtail
05-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Step one- watch several episodes of the A-team to get the creative juices flowing.

Step two- go out to the garage and find some pieces of scrap metal, a welder, duct tape, PVC, zip ties and a stainless m-14 with wood stock.

Step three - play a rock montage while assembling for 5 minutes.

Step four - smoke a half cigar while driving your shinynew tank down the block laughing and saying "iI love it when a plan comes together".

Fred1
05-14-2014, 04:21 PM
I pitty da fool who gotta pack his moose wit a bike!

leadpillproductions
05-14-2014, 05:41 PM
Ive wanted to hook up a pull cart behind a mnt bike. I think it would work well couple trips

hoochie
05-14-2014, 07:00 PM

no doubt! I would have to stop and get a pic of that if I ever saw it!

270ruger
05-14-2014, 07:24 PM
Get rear pannier frame and mount a scabbard to it that's what I do works well

bcd
05-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Ive wanted to hook up a pull cart behind a mnt bike. I think it would work well couple trips

Yeah I've seen a few guys do this, I think it would work well too if the road/trail is smooth enough. I just don't have the space to store one so have to make do with a rack.

Get rear pannier frame and mount a scabbard to it that's what I do works well

Have you had any issues with the gun getting banged up or losing zero from bouncing around?

BRvalley
05-16-2014, 08:19 AM
ride one hand on the bars and the other hand on your loaded rifle, probably go with a AR style sight, the deer are quick eh

macgyvered back pack idea sounds best, especially if you're concerned about losing zero...you have your entire body to absorb impacts before the energy gets to the rifle (try not to wipe out lol)...on a bike frame the energy is going straight to your rifle, but depends how you well you mount it I guess, and what type of terrain you plan on cycling, I'd go with a scabbard mounted forward on your downtube, or mounted to a pannier frame

brian
05-16-2014, 08:24 AM
I used an eberlestock pack when I was on my bike... Worked fine. I would use that or strap it onto your backpack instead of mounting to your bike.

Mauser98
05-16-2014, 09:18 AM
This tread has awakened some fond memories so please bear with me.

When we hunted elk in the Quinn Crk drainage we used bikes to gain access to the no-vehicle areas upsteam from Alpine Crk. The rifles were strapped across our chests and our day packs were on our backs. This was before shocks, etc so if the rifles had been attached to the bike they would have taken a pounding.

When an animal was killed, we'd cut it up and pack it to the road. Usually took three trips each.

The first time we were about 8 km from our camp. We tied two bikes together with short poles about two feet apart and after some design fixes, managed to load most of the elk onto the contraption. The rest was in freighter packs on our backs. We pushed the loaded bikes. Fortunately, the road was mostly down hill.

Next we tried a small trailer but neither one of us liked that. Hard work pulling even downhill.

Ultimately, we settled on simply loading our freighter packs with as much as we could carry, get on the bike and ride back to our camp. It was mostly downhill with a few uphills. Those were tough.

The last time we did this, we were running out of daylight so after riding one load to camp, we decided to take the rest of the animal out in one trip rather than two each. My cousins load was 104 lbs and mine was a few lbs less. Coming down the Alpine Crk road was exciting with the brakes of the day but there were no wipeouts.

No matter what was on our backs, our rifles were alway strapped across our chests.