PDA

View Full Version : Bear in Princeton?

epicZERO74
05-13-2014, 06:48 AM
Hello, was just wondering if any of you have seen bear in the Princeton area, maybe around Jura Rd.? How about Tulameen?

huntinnewbie
05-13-2014, 06:51 AM
Been to Princeton area last weekend and 2 weekends ago and haven't seen a thing. Even last year there was very little activity and very little sign. Not sure why but they seem to be far and few between. Maybe need to get furthur back in the woods but then we didn't see anything last fall when deer hunting either.

BiG Boar
05-13-2014, 06:55 AM
yeah there are bears pretty much everywhere. Some areas are a little more dense than others. I can't think of one single road in the province where I would be surprised to see bear crap. Find the greenage, find the bears.

epicZERO74
05-13-2014, 07:03 AM
hmmm... two contradictory posts! Can you think of a spot in-particular? I was up on Jura Rd. last weekend and saw nothing...not even much sign (but saw wolf sign, which is weird..never seen wolves in princeton but the bag limit is up to 3 now).

caper321
05-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Go up whipsaw creek. Around 7K up you will come to a road called sunset. There are bears up there.

mike-juliet
05-13-2014, 01:24 PM
They are out there!
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/p180x540/10174829_674055462652163_3332051759340155350_n.jpg

Brew
05-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Is that this years bear Matt? What cal were ya shooting?

mike-juliet
05-13-2014, 01:34 PM
I wish, It was opening day September 2013, not quite the elk I was after but i Wasn't complaining! The biggest Sow I've ever seen around Princeton I know that.

Its a Remington Custom Shop 700 with a Rock Creek 5R barrel in 300 Win Mag

epicZERO74
05-13-2014, 03:42 PM
How about tulameen? anyone been around there?

mike-juliet
05-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Thats where that bear was from, Rabbit Mountain.

ItsGrouseTalk
05-13-2014, 05:40 PM
Seems like a real late spring. We went out this past Saturday but could only get 4km into our spot before too much snow on the road still. But we did see our first couple piles of scat so they are out!

epicZERO74
05-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Seems like a real late spring. We went out this past Saturday but could only get 4km into our spot before too much snow on the road still. But we did see our first couple piles of scat so they are out!
Hopefully some warm weather blows by there to get rid of some of that snow before the long weekend when I go up

Papa Sasquatch
05-13-2014, 07:36 PM
My adult daughter and I just spent 4 days in 2-5 in the best areas for Bear hunting. We saw a total of 2 poopy piles very far apart. The first one was a few days old and the second was fresher but too clothes to downhill cyclist special Event to consider pursuing. Just yesterday we walked the trails just over 29 miles of the finest locations and saw no bears! We going back out next week. Somewhere TBA.

albravo2
05-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Drove through Princeton today. Lots of mule deer, but saw no bears. Still some snow around Manning Park but otherwise not much evidence of snowpack. The Similkameen seemed normal, maybe a bit low, for this time of year. Around 25 degrees in Keremeos so melting fast.

heyblast
05-13-2014, 07:55 PM
yeah there are bears pretty much everywhere. Some areas are a little more dense than others. I can't think of one single road in the province where I would be surprised to see bear crap. Find the greenage, find the bears.

Princeton area I have seen lots of bears in the past, but if you want to be surprised drive the FSR Road along Harrison lake threw to the Duffy rd. I'd be surprised if you saw one pile of crap never mind a bear. There's lots of grass but that's it.

epicZERO74
05-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Best of luck to you and your daughter sasquatch! Heyblast....can you tell me where in princeton I picked up a nice one on my trail cam but only 1......when we went up last weekend we saw about 1 bear scat and thats all....we are heading up to tulameen this long weekend if anyone has bear info on that spot it would be great...maybe even wolf info?

heyblast
05-13-2014, 09:52 PM
I'm not a bear hunter. I have seen a lot of bears in that area as recently as last year when I've gone there to work at the mine so I'm surprised to read of others saying their not finding any this spring. Has something happened?

steveo32
05-13-2014, 10:12 PM
I am working in Princeton and have only seen one bear up Jura at 6km. But I have been seeing some decent bears on the Princeton/Merritt highway. Around dry lake so maybe try the hornet fsr if you are hunting around here

Iron Glove
05-14-2014, 07:44 AM
Best of luck to you and your daughter sasquatch! Heyblast....can you tell me where in princeton I picked up a nice one on my trail cam but only 1......when we went up last weekend we saw about 1 bear scat and thats all....we are heading up to tulameen this long weekend if anyone has bear info on that spot it would be great...maybe even wolf info?

We've been back & forth to our Tulameen place a lot the last few weeks, heading up in a couple of hours again for a week or so.
Haven't seen any bears at all but really haven't ventured too far from the Tulameen suburbs. Have seen scat along the KVR near town. Did see the biggest grouse I've seen in years just out back by the River, maybe it'll be a good grouse season. Lots of friggin deer all over the place, drive the dogs nuts.
Son lives in Princeton, he says he has seen lots of bears around the Similkameen River.
Hope to get out this week on my new quad, if I see anything I'll post here. I don't hunt bear - stinking awful tasting animals if you ask me. :mrgreen: