PDA

View Full Version : A Brand New "Young Buck"

epicZERO74
05-13-2014, 06:42 AM
Hello everybody! My name is Shawn. I am 14 years old and my dad got me into hunting when I was 9/10 years old. I got my first deer in Princeton B.C. last September during youth season(he was in velvet still, just starting to loose it which made dragging him a little challenging)and he tasted delicious! On the same trip I saw a 4ish point bull elk.

A Little Story about the deer:
4:00AM, Alarm goes off, wake up get packed, leave hotel and hit the road. It is now around 4:30. We have been scouting a spot using trail cams and have decided to hunt it first. As we are walking in, I see my dad stop and start to lift his binoculars. As soon as I round the corner I see it. A huge white butt sticking out from behind a bush. Of course I forgot my binoculars in the truck! So eventually he gives me his and I take a look. A nice bull elk that had around 4 points was giving us a stare down. So after watching him for a minute or so he wanders off. We walked up into the clearing and saw nothing. We sat and watched for a bit but seeing nothing we decided to head back to the truck. We drove, we stopped, we glanced, saw a few does but not much more. So around 10:30 my dad said "should we head home?" and I was like "no way!" so we continued to hunt. I had a feeling SOMETHING was going to go right after 2 or so years of no deer! At around 10:45 we saw it....the first buck (or BUCKS) of the hunting season! There were 2 bucks and one doe. As my dad said "at least one is a buck take em!" I was already out of the truck(they were right on the side of the road). I lift up the gun, look right down the scope....I didn't miss any steps did I? Line up my sights just behind the front shoulder.... sorta.... was kinda shaking....a lot, and give the trigger a nice squeeze.......give it another.....give it a yank...."Shoot!" I yelled, my dad whistled to get the frightened deer to stop and came around the truck to see what had happened. "Forgot to chamber a bullet" I said with slight embarrassment, but now was not the time to worry about lost pride! I pull the bolt back and forward, my dad gives another whistle and POW....uh-oh the deer just ran straight up a hill....I missed...my first chance at a buck, and I blew it...no..wait...he is staggering...YES HE FELL!!!!! YA!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!! After a few minutes of celebrating we go up and see him. "Nice shot!" said my dad as I went up there and saw what I must say was the best shot of my life! We gutted and skinned him and here we are today!

Picture of deer below, courtesy of OutWest

BiG Boar
05-13-2014, 06:51 AM
Good for you Shawn. What are your plans for this year? Lots of good youth opportunity, including being able to shoot grouse early as of this year.

OutWest
05-13-2014, 06:51 AM
http://i.imgur.com/57q50fD.jpg

OutWest
05-13-2014, 06:52 AM
Nice work! Congrats on your first of many!

epicZERO74
05-13-2014, 07:00 AM
Thank you Outwest for the picture and kind words! BigBoar I plan on going up to princeton again to hunt grouse (probably with pellet gun to not scare the deer/elk) and youth deer, aswell as my dad bringing his bow and trying for an elk. This long weekend we are trying to decide where to go bear hunting. Also, we put in for a moose limited entry in region 5, in a spot where we saw 2 bulls while hunting for deer (one was while we were walking gave us a few grunts it was cool!). Aswell he also put me in for the limited entry youth doe which is almost a guarantee. Other than that we are not sure...thinking about heading to Fort St. John for moose season in August 2015.

.308 NORMA
05-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Theres going to be many many more to come

epicZERO74
05-13-2014, 07:25 AM
Theres going to be many many more to come
I sure hope so!

fuzzybiscuit
05-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Great buck! Congrats on your first of many.

epicZERO74
05-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Great buck! Congrats on your first of many.
Thank you!

B-rad
05-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Good job,,,,love to see the next generation enjoying the outdoors

elkhunterette
05-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Congrats.....and good luck on the upcoming season!

clte
05-13-2014, 03:58 PM
You're way way ahead of me. Nice job. :)

epicZERO74
05-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Thanks everyone! Good luck on all your seasons!