PDA

View Full Version : Fort Ware 7-41

Mik
05-12-2014, 09:31 PM
I'm thinkin of going up this year towards Ft. Ware. I've read all the posts on here regarding the area, HOWEVER, they are all quite a few years old! Has anyone been up there in the last 2 years? If so, can you shed some light on that area? Before I decide to put in for Moose n Grizz LEH in that area?? Thanks for any and all info :)

Sitkaspruce
05-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Not called "Fort BeWare" for nothing.....

Cheers

SS

ryanb
05-12-2014, 10:48 PM
I think the stories are a bit overblown, however, you can't deny that there are extremes of unregulated hunting going on up there. Unless you are planning to hunt a relatively inaccessible area expect it to be somewhat shot out.

.330 Dakota
05-13-2014, 06:39 AM
I heard that if you stop at the band office and ask for permission to hunt, then the natives will treat you like gold.

BiG Boar
05-13-2014, 06:53 AM
If you're thinking of hunting via roads out of the area I would be very careful of where you're going and what you're doing.

wrenchhead
05-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Was there 4 years ago, one hell of a long drive up the lake. Not a great moose population, but lots of grizz. And yes we had dealings with the locals that were no positive. I would not go back. If you go make sure your camp is hidden off the beaten path......

swampthing
05-13-2014, 05:28 PM
They will always be pretty much haywire up there. Contact info is in the regs for the band/chief. Touching base with them isn't a bad idea but its the renegades up there that cause the crap. Lookin for booze and generally a bit predjudice. Camp far off and be friendly.

.330 Dakota
05-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Maybe stop at the band office and ask for permission, then post a sign at your camp that says,,"no booze here" and"camera surveiliance",,and"if you touch my camp, I will shoot you",,that oughta do it...lol

bowhunterbruce
05-13-2014, 06:42 PM
yes been there ,don't bother going. as others have said, there are a lot of other places with more game and less issues. lets just say there are locals that don't want to either be there and will do what it takes to get outta dodge, or that are so set in their old school ways and do not want anything to do with the rest of civilized society and are willing to protect those values at any cost.
vehicle breaks down = most parts wont be there and or torched when ya get back
leave camp unattended= your risking it to be ransacked when you get back.
very long rough road that is going to require extra fuel brought with you to get back out after only a couple days , if you have a radio that's good to protect yourself from possible accidents with either logging equipment or on coming vehicles, yet at the same time your announcing your where abouts to everyone in the valley as most have radios in the residents.
I guy I worked with was in a head on collision , had his kids and wife with him up on a little holiday, both kids were injured. even though he radioed every km marker the other vehicle cut the corner while coming down hill and wasn't using their radio.
beautiful country though but hey, that's just about everywhere in BC.

good luck
bhb

ps: if you go, can you include me as a recipient to your will, I'm a really nice guy!! ask anyone.

bhb

decker9
05-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Was up there in 2011 sheep hunting in august, seen a few nice bears up north of the mine, the odd moose track but no moose, 2012 had a grizz draw, spent 10 days hammering 7-41, dident see anything but grouse. Both trips we contacted the band office and RCMP (NORTHERNHUNTER)<<<< great help! And we had no problems with anyone, infact, anyone we met were quite pleasant and wished us luck.

Beautiful country, but yes better places to hunt.

hotload
05-14-2014, 07:57 AM
As a Sheriff, we held many courts in Fort Ware and Ingenika, (Tsay Keh). Trouble is where you find it, and this could be the direction you find it. If you delve into careless abandon at least visit the Tsay Keh Dene Band Office and plead your case. While your there check out the framed pictures on the wall of the torched RCMP Sleds, Atv's, and Suburbans.

drgame
05-14-2014, 07:10 PM
I was up there 3 years ago. Had a spring grizz draw in 7-41. It was an awesome trip. Had no problems with locals. We were way back on Akie rd. Seen lots of bears. Got a beautiful 8 foot, 22 inch skull grizzly. I took enough gas to keep us going while hunting but stopped in the reserve to buy gas to get us home.

NORTHERN HUNTER
05-16-2014, 06:49 AM
If it means anything I grew up elk hunting in the kootenays but will be returning to Tsay Keh and Fort Ware this year to hunt elk for the third straight year. If you would like information PM me and I will do my best to assist. I have seen Elk, Moose, G Bears, B Bears, Deer (very scarce), Stone Sheep, and Goats up there.

xfactor
07-23-2014, 10:53 AM
Interested in this area as well, bumping it up to see if more info can come in.

Mik
09-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all the advice to all who replied. We will be hunting up around The Ft Ware area coming this Friday Sept 26 as we have a number of Moose and Grizz LEH's And we may luck out and get an elk, sheep , goat or caribou :)

Cali
09-23-2014, 04:36 PM
Good Luck, Lots of Grizzly. Been up there 4 times for 10 day trips and haven't had any problems. As others mentioned set camp off the beaten path.
Straight shooting

xfactor
09-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Good Luck Mik!! let me know how you boys do. Say hi to the Gang for me:)

swampthing
09-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Cant hurt to check in with the native band, as stated in the regs. I never have but got checked the last time. We actually camped with a few of the natives and they were good dudes.

Mik
09-24-2014, 06:15 AM
Yes, I filled out the info sheet and received the approval and will be dropping by the Tsay Keh Dene office.

Rackmastr
09-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Good luck buddy! Amazing country up there and you should come back with some trophies and good stories!

xfactor
10-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Are you back? how did it go?

GreyDog
10-07-2014, 11:01 AM
3 years ago I spent 15 days hiking north of Ft. Ware. Up the Fox river and over to Weissener Lake down Carcajou Creek. My impression was that, if you were within snowmobile range of Ft. Ware, there wasn't going to be much game. Very few bears and never saw a moose. The lack of bears was evidenced by the abundance of berries. Fishing was poor.
On the other hand, south of Tse Keh, we saw elk, black bears, and grizzly.
The residents of Ft. Ware treated us royally and I very much enjoyed the couple of days I spent there. I think the area has a lot of potential as a wilderness destination but doubt it will ever be reached. GD