PDA

View Full Version : New Truck need advice on canopy for sleeping while hunting.

tav611
05-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Hey guys wanted to get advice on sleeping in the canopy while hunting. Just upgraded to a 2012 quad cab Ram and going to buy a canopy for the dogs and also for a place to sleep while hunting. I would like to ask for advice about if people do sleep in the canopy and what they use to insulate from the heat. I was thinking just using plywood to get off the floor than maybe a sponge thin foamy mattress I have. With a few blankets. Any advice would be appreciated. also looking for people from the lower mainland who are looking for people to hunt with. I do have a quad. Thanks guys!

allan
05-11-2014, 01:10 PM
I used to sleep in my canopy with a plywood table built on half of one side that was level with my truck box. I slept on a thermorest ( I don't like foam) that way I could use the under side for storage of gear plus the fact that my sleeping bag was off the ridges of the truck. If your going to buy a canopy get one of the higher tops. They look ugly but increase head room while changing or cookIng if it's pouring rain. The extra tall canopy flap at the back also has a bit more rain coverage if your standing under it with the tailgate closed. the plywood bench I used for sleeping on also makes for a standup table (or bar).
It was a great mobile system when hunting alone. With two people get a pop up tent from Costco. I would put my truck under on one side and use it as a bedroom and set up chairs and use the tailgate as a table.
To pack up and move camp took a about 5 mins.
Just about every night I would sleep somewhere different on the road as I was always moving.

cooter303
05-11-2014, 01:11 PM
when i camped with a canopy, i used a foldable army cot. it was comfortable, got me off the floor and had space underneath for my junk.

.300WSMImpact!
05-11-2014, 01:19 PM
I also like the cot idea, I use a cot just out in the open when its warm

dougal
05-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Sleeping in the box is a good plan but watch in the later months once it's super cold the frost from breathing builds up and it can lead to some nasty mornings if your not carfull. Expecialy if there's two of you in the truck. A little ventilation goes a long way. And the pop up canopy with a tarp can create a quick and awesome setup drop a folding table and some chairs all of a sudden you've got a great mobile hunting camp in no time

sarg
05-11-2014, 02:42 PM
If u can find a canopy with carpet on the roof and sides it will make the world of difference. I actually carpeted the roof of my canopy now to help with the condensation:)

Steelwheels
05-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Ventilation is a must.. If your going to sleep on the bed floor place a 1" piece of Rigid Styro between you and the steel...

SingleShot
05-11-2014, 03:00 PM
What not to do:

Don't stretch a tarp over the box and secure it with large rocks perched on the box rails. Your dog, being in the cab, might nuzzle the rear sliding window open in the middle of the night and decide to jump out into the box . The rocks, which you have carefully placed on the rails to secure the tarp, might topple inwards with the tarp and one "might" happen to land on your head which is not a good way to wake up at 3:00 am. Don't ask how I could possibly know this.

There were beers involved and the bugs were bad.

toad
05-11-2014, 04:06 PM
lol This is what i live in for 3/4s of the month....i put carpet down and use a single width 4 inch foamy. i have shelf built in that stretches across the top of the box... i have a tote in there with some gear and it doubles as a table...im very comfortable.... the coldest it has been is -33ish... When my my gf and i go camping for a night or 3 i use a full width 4 inch foamy that i have cut the wheel wells out i make my bed then fold it in half towards the cab throw in a few totes of gear and coolers when i get to my spot pull the totes out unfold the bed and im ready too....sleep:)...my next canopy will be 2" higher so i push my quad in

Ron.C
05-11-2014, 05:19 PM
when i camped with a canopy, i used a foldable army cot. it was comfortable, got me off the floor and had space underneath for my junk.

x2. they work great and fit perfectly in a 6'6" box

goatdancer
05-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Condensation is your enemy. Without good ventilation, you will wake up wet and cold.

hunter1947
05-11-2014, 05:58 PM
A few sleeping bags to get into and a toque to put on your head a 4 inch thick foam rubber to sleep on have a propane bottle with a heater on it to light for a few min will take the chill out of the area
when you get up or go to bed your good to go..

panhead
05-12-2014, 09:50 AM
This won't be easy to explain but here goes ... I made a bed out of 2X2 and 1/4 plywood in two sections that split lengthways. The center was hinged and one side was hinged to the truck box. The whole bed then hinged in half and stored against the side of the box taking up very little room. Storage underneath. Inside the canopy I glued (with silicone) a sheet of styrofoam to stop the condensation. Worked great, used it for years until I got soft and bought a camper.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Mathematics is the ultimate boss.

Hunterguy
05-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Toad really -33 ish and your still alive in a canopy set-up, and than you bring a cooler for what. Been there done that in earlier warmer months such as Sept. October. But Nov? People are asking for positive suggestions but, canopy minus 30 I call that suicide!

Chopper
05-12-2014, 10:06 PM
youtube the $hit out of it ... guys have come up with a lot of different great ideas. You might see something you have never heard of that fits your needs

bearheart
05-13-2014, 08:47 PM
I used to sleep in my canopy with a plywood table built on half of one side that was level with my truck box. I slept on a thermorest ( I don't like foam) that way I could use the under side for storage of gear plus the fact that my sleeping bag was off the ridges of the truck. If your going to buy a canopy get one of the higher tops. They look ugly but increase head room while changing or cookIng if it's pouring rain. The extra tall canopy flap at the back also has a bit more rain coverage if your standing under it with the tailgate closed. the plywood bench I used for sleeping on also makes for a standup table (or bar).
It was a great mobile system when hunting alone. With two people get a pop up tent from Costco. I would put my truck under on one side and use it as a bedroom and set up chairs and use the tailgate as a table.
To pack up and move camp took a about 5 mins.
Just about every night I would sleep somewhere different on the road as I was always moving.

a bit of experience, if you get a tall canopy and you have to use the ferries, you may have to pay over height surcharge, so check overall height before you buy if you are a regular ferry user. The taller canopies are more comfortable to get around in though.

toad
05-13-2014, 09:17 PM
just pull the woods sleeping bag over the head and hope you dont have to pee till the morning...im laying the box of my truck right now....buts its a balmy 15 or so its come a long ways since jan/feb.

wlbc
05-13-2014, 09:45 PM
I've done this a lot. I prefer a canopy that is flush with the truck cab, each to their own. My last canopy had tinted sliding windows on the sides with bug screens. Open the windows up to reduce condensation in the canopy while you are sleeping. Hang a tarp over the canopy incase it rains hard and water won't come in the windows.

I would go to Windsor plywood, get a sheet of 5/8" degrade sawn to the length of your box. I like a 3 or 4 inch foam on the plywood, then I put a woods 5 star down as a bottom blanket. One on top, a couple of pillows. Usually get a good sleep.

Not a bad idea with the carpet on the roof to stop dripping.

I'm with toad, if you have a good bag or two 20 30 below is no big deal.

bighornbob
05-13-2014, 10:13 PM
I used to do this a lot on my old truck. The bed liner had notches for 2x4,s built in that were the same height as the wheel wells. Three 2x4's raised the bed off the floor and i could stuff a lot of gear underneith. The rubbermaid totes that are about 8 inches high would fit underneith perfectly. On top of the 2x4's I laid 3/4 inch plywood. Instead of a full sheet i used 2 sheets and cut them about 2.5 feet wide or soand pushed them to the sides. This way i could place my feet down onto the bed of the truck, sort of like a bed. Also with two peices of plywood, you can lift one side if looking for gear and leave the bed undisturbed on the other. For the bed, used one of those fold up beds (basically a 4 inch foamy thats cut into three peices and has fabric and sewn around it so you can fold it up. I also cut the plywood to about 6.5 feet long, so a cooler could fit at the end (8 foot box). Also when getting up in the morning you can sit at the end like a bed and put on you boots.

BHB

Pantharen
05-13-2014, 11:53 PM
a bit of experience, if you get a tall canopy and you have to use the ferries, you may have to pay over height surcharge, so check overall height before you buy if you are a regular ferry user. The taller canopies are more comfortable to get around in though.

Ferries does't have an over height surcharge anymore. They only charge you extra for length.

bearheart
05-15-2014, 05:49 AM
Ferries does't have an over height surcharge anymore. They only charge you extra for length.

Thanks for the update!

panhead
05-15-2014, 09:17 AM

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

I think that should say "They just charge you MORE extra for length." If they are in a good mood will give your dog a free cookie though.

gamer
05-16-2014, 03:15 PM
My truck has slots built in to the sides that accept a 2x6. I run 3 2x6 across the bed at the wheel well height with plywood on top and sleep on that shelf with gear stashed below. For additional gear I place in plastic tubs on the shelf while driving and if alone I can still get my bed in there at night. If 2 people are sleeping then I put tubs under the truck at night. Carpet lining on shelf and interior of canopy makes a big difference. With a decent sleeping bag, sleeping mat and heavy wool blanket I can sleep in there comfortably to 15 below.

Camp Cook
05-17-2014, 06:12 PM
I have used the same system for years now works on all of the different trucks I have had.

I have too old canvas wooden framed stretchers I place the handles on the ledge at the front of the canopy and install a 2' angle iron across the back to support the rear handles.

No army cot legs to deal with so I am able to store all of my gear under the beds.

I use a Thermo-Rest mattress oh yeah thinking about this = I'm now starting to itch been so busy working I haven't had a chance to get out for a long time I'm now going pop one of the stretchers into the truck after dinner and head out for a morning bear hunt.

nature girl
05-18-2014, 08:40 AM
This is how we camp all the time. Finally this year we upgraded to better sleeping bags. We put plywood on the the truck box bottom and a 6" foam which you can roll up later or fold in half and that makes for a good nights sleep with a thicker foam. I would leave your window just a little open during the night to get out the condensation.
Why I like camping this way is everyday you can move your camp and it takes no time at all to pack up your stuff and go.
If you pm me I can try to find you a picture to show how we do have it set up.

Kami
05-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Original poster said he bought a Dodge Quad cab. How long is your box? My 1500 quad cab only has about a 5' 7 ft box. Not long enough for most people to sleep in with a canopy on it, unless you leave it open with the tail gate down. PITA. I bought it before I got into hunting. Nice truck but box is no good.