View Full Version : Free dive for crab

bcriverhunter
05-09-2014, 08:32 AM
Anyone do this?..gonna finnaly bring my suit and pole spear
To rupert and see how i do!.....just wondering
How you grab them?...net?...thx larry

steel_ram
05-09-2014, 09:13 AM
It is illegal to spear, rake or snare them. So many crabs get wasted/damaged by people that ignore this. Press them against the bottom with your hand or foot and grab them by the back legs.

kilometers
05-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Crabs will often wait until low tide , then follow the tide line up eating all the dried up dead things as they go. I've got quite a few just walking the low tide line on the beach. You just grab them by the bum.
Remeber crabs move sideways and are pretty quick.

Foxtail
05-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Let the females go, you can't really check if they are females or males if you spear them. Just carry a mesh bag, flip them over, check if they are male or female, if male and legal size, toss em in the bag. Your best bet is, find the mouth of a freshwater stream and a sandy grassy bottom.

lip_ripper00
05-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Right hand side just before you enter the ditch leaving the harbour on the west side, we where their this last weekend, 24 legal keepers in 3 traps, they have not too long ago gone through a molt, they are about 3/4 full. Have fun...

bcriverhunter
05-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Thx guys-yes am aware of the "no pokey " rule! ;)
....this fishing trip is set for aprox 4 weeks-:july13-aug 8th
.....only other worry would be the water temps?....
Will see how my 5 ml open cell works! lol..hx again guys! larry

bcriverhunter
05-09-2014, 11:23 AM
Lip ripper....where is the ditch?....just out of metlakatla?

Peter Pepper
05-09-2014, 02:24 PM
I've always used BBQ tongs. Snorkel or just wade at low tide. Works very well.

dime
05-14-2014, 10:06 PM
I have used a snorkel and fins to get them in Birch Bay, can just dive down and grab by the back side, watch the claws can come up to try and pinch very quickly. Males are usually bigger than females and usually have less barnacles attached, and once you have them at the surface you can look at bottom to determine sex- read the regs first. Buy a measuring device from wallmart for about $3.00 as well.

steel_ram
05-15-2014, 07:09 AM
Other than flipping them over and checking, there is no way for certain for sexing crabs. Females tend to have a rounder "dome" shaped shell. Barnacles would have more to do with the age of the shell. One with barnacles is likely to be near molting, therefore hard shell and full of meat.

Steelwheels
05-15-2014, 08:00 AM
Crabs will often wait until low tide , then follow the tide line up eating all the dried up dead things as they go. I've got quite a few just walking the low tide line on the beach. You just grab them by the bum.
Remeber crabs move sideways and are pretty quick.

And believe me... They can defiantly draw blood..!!

treehugger
05-15-2014, 08:15 AM
At $20/lb I might have to get into this! Put my kids through college ;)

Glenny
05-15-2014, 09:00 AM
I've always used BBQ tongs. Snorkel or just wade at low tide. Works very well.

Yes tongs worky goody.

steel_ram
05-15-2014, 09:30 AM
Be careful handling crabs with tongs etc. If they are in soft shell phase they can be easily damaged. Contrary to popular belief, crabs can die from having legs torn off.

MB_Boy
05-15-2014, 09:37 AM
And believe me... They can defiantly draw blood..!!

X2 on that!!!!

bcriverhunter
05-15-2014, 11:21 AM
Thx guys
....so, if i spot a crab from the surface, and
Dive down for it, what is the reaction of
The crab when u get close?....if i approch
From the rear, will the crab notice?...if
Not, can i use.my.crab.template.and.somehow
Measure it? larry

Darksith
05-15-2014, 11:24 AM
its pretty easy to free dive for crab. I used to do it all the time when I would spend summers on VI. As mentioned, push them down and then grab them from the back just like you would handle them on dry land. One thing I can recommend is that if you are going to use a wetsuit you will want to have weight on ya, and lots of it. Even when I dive without a suit I still wear 4-6lbs of weight. I want to stay boyant on the surface, but have to be moving to do so, this allows you to get down and stay down easy. Its hard to grab a crab when you keep floating away from it or have to grab onto something, which in a lot of ocean environments is poor etiquette.

Darksith
05-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Thx guys
....so, if i spot a crab from the surface, and
Dive down for it, what is the reaction of
The crab when u get close?....if i approch
From the rear, will the crab notice?...if
Not, can i use.my.crab.template.and.somehow
Measure it? larry
usually the crab will rear up and defend rather than run. Makes it easy, you just need the right angle on him to grab him.

lip_ripper00
05-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Lip ripper....where is the ditch?....just out of metlakatla?

not sure whre this is Digby Island (airport) not far from the dock. Was watching the sounder on the way out and their is a narrow trench we went throught area dries at a low tide I was told.

Pantharen
05-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Chainmail gloves are a good buy. You can get them at some of the higher end fishing shop, they're usually made from stainless wire, and are used a lot in the commercial fishing industry. Wearing a pair, just might save your fingers..

I haven't free-dived for crab in a lot of years, we use to do it a lot on Rathtrevor beach in Parksville in the 80's

Mike_R
05-16-2014, 08:06 AM
I have found that using a goody bag with a metal hoop/hinged opening works well. Like this one http://www.amazon.com/Goodie-D-Ring-Lobster-X-Large-Sports/dp/B001OAKUEQ

bcriverhunter
05-16-2014, 08:21 AM
I have found that using a goody bag with a metal hoop/hinged opening works well. Like this one http://www.amazon.com/Goodie-D-Ring-Lobster-X-Large-Sports/dp/B001OAKUEQ

Looks good!! thx

bcriverhunter
05-16-2014, 08:25 AM
its pretty easy to free dive for crab. I used to do it all the time when I would spend summers on VI. As mentioned, push them down and then grab them from the back just like you would handle them on dry land. One thing I can recommend is that if you are going to use a wetsuit you will want to have weight on ya, and lots of it. Even when I dive without a suit I still wear 4-6lbs of weight. I want to stay boyant on the surface, but have to be moving to do so, this allows you to get down and stay down easy. Its hard to grab a crab when you keep floating away from it or have to grab onto something, which in a lot of ocean environments is poor etiquette.

Thx dark..yes, about the weights!....i have to use
15lbs of weight with this suit to be neutral at about 20 feet down approx

..i stop at 30 feet because my.mask starts crushing my
Head!! lol
..thx all for the great ideas!.will post some pics
On this tread if all works out! :) larry

Andrewh
05-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Take a 2ft stick with you as well. Just put the stick in front of the crab and it will grab on, then simply grab the rear of the crab without much of a worry.

bcriverhunter
05-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Take a 2ft stick with you as well. Just put the stick in front of the crab and it will grab on, then simply grab the rear of the crab without much of a worry.

hey I like that!...I like carry my pole spear in case I see an edible!..that will work I bet?.....will check the regs again and see what else is legal with the spear?..greenlings etc?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a202/bcriverhunter/20140209_131310.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/bcriverhunter/media/20140209_131310.jpg.html)

theres me trying to spear redfish in florida!...2 foot vis!..not a chance!! LOL

steel_ram
05-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Methods of catching crabs is on pages 46-47 of current Tidal Water Sport Fishing Guide.

"• It is illegal to use snares, rakes, spears or other pointed instruments to
catch or attempt to catch crabs. "

bcriverhunter
05-16-2014, 09:42 PM
steel!..i would NEVER use my pole spear to EVER harm a crab!... I will grab them with my gloved hand, I will flip them over to make sure they are NOT a female, I will measure them!..and then, and ONLY then-will they go into the pot!!..does that sound ok with you? :) larry

steel_ram
05-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Of course. It's just one of my pet peeves. I'm going out tomorrow. I'll see if I can get pic's of some dopies with their farm implements out on the flats.

Amphibious
05-17-2014, 05:26 PM
Crab country is flounder country. Take your pole spear. Join Westcan Spearos on facebook if you want to find some local freedivers to learn from. A mesh bag on a float works great. I use a tall tupperware blue bin on the back of mt yak to toss them in usually.

Actually, leave the pole spear. Knifing for sole is way to much fun.

bcriverhunter
05-17-2014, 06:22 PM
Amph!!...i like ur take on life!! lol