PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever try bow fishing?

itsy bitsy xj
05-08-2014, 09:27 AM
I've seen some videos of it, looks pretty cool. I've just started practicing with a bow in the back yard I have targets at 13m 24m and I'm going to set one at about 65m.
What do you need for a licence for bow fishing? Fishing lic, hunting lic, or both?

monasheemountainman
05-08-2014, 09:30 AM
buddy on here posted a thread of him doing it here in ok lake for carp. looks awesome always wanted to do it!

r106
05-08-2014, 09:32 AM
fishing = fishing license :mrgreen:LOL

r106
05-08-2014, 09:33 AM
buddy on here posted a thread of him doing it here in ok lake for carp. looks awesome always wanted to do it!

I thought he was diving and using a spear gun? I might be thinking of someone else. Same idea but a little different methods. Either way it looks fun

itsy bitsy xj
05-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Yeah I there are carp in Dewdney that you can bow fish

BiG Boar
05-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Id like to try it in the lower mainland if someone wants to give it a try.

itsy bitsy xj
05-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Id like to try it in the lower mainland if someone wants to give it a try.

If I end up buying the extra equipment and head out to Dewdney I'll be sure to post it up. Hey BB do you have a bow?

monasheemountainman
05-08-2014, 10:43 AM
I thought he was diving and using a spear gun? I might be thinking of someone else. Same idea but a little different methods. Either way it looks fun

oh, ya maybe your right! either way it would be fun!

Above the Treeline
05-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Sounds like fun would love to try it out

bigbuckbuster
05-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Yeah I there are carp in Dewdney that you can bow fish
I spear fished carp last night on Hatzic lake. We used a Hawaiian Sling, its a spear that is propelled by an elastic band that you wrap around your arm. Only got one but it was about 8 lbs. Give it a try, its lots of fun

GrandA
05-08-2014, 11:12 AM
I've bow fished in the deep South in Georgia.. It was a blast, on a big swamp boat at 1AM with lights around it. Insane amount of species, tons of fun, lots of "hot water". Would highly recommend it.

itsy bitsy xj
05-08-2014, 11:26 AM
I spear fished carp last night on Hatzic lake. We used a Hawaiian Sling, its a spear that is propelled by an elastic band that you wrap around your arm. Only got one but it was about 8 lbs. Give it a try, its lots of fun

I have a spear like that I brought back from Austrailia. Using that was a lot of fun. I did a bunch of snorkeling over there.
Would I need my little aluminum boat to bow fish in Hattzic or could I do it from shore?

Kudu
05-08-2014, 12:52 PM
What does the law say about - Bow Fishing at night off a boat with lights?

I'm thinking Osoyooss during summer - could be a blast....

Foxtail
05-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Do I smell a tournament in the near future? Let's do it! I have the gear, just never tried it. I'm pumped to try this year though.

walks with deer
05-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Big game archery
Waynes son uses to do it.

They have the gear.

Amphibious
05-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Fishing with lights is illegal in BC.

Anyone Interested in spearfishing should drop me a line. I have lots of extra gear and am happy to teach.

itsy bitsy xj
05-08-2014, 10:40 PM
Fishing with lights is illegal in BC.

Anyone Interested in spearfishing should drop me a line. I have lots of extra gear and am happy to teach.
You have spear fishing gear or bow fishing gear? I was going to just run down to WSS in Langley and grab a bow fishng kit for $50

sawmill
05-09-2014, 07:58 AM
What does the law say about - Bow Fishing at night off a boat with lights?

I'm thinking Osoyooss during summer - could be a blast....

No lights for fishing unless it`s attached within 1 meter of a submerged hook.Carp only for spear and bow except for burbot in some regions.No bow or spearfishing at all in Region 1.

bigbuckbuster
05-09-2014, 09:15 AM
I have a spear like that I brought back from Austrailia. Using that was a lot of fun. I did a bunch of snorkeling over there.
I would I need my little aluminum boat to bow fish in Hattzic or could I do it from shore?

I used my car topper. I just moved there and got access as an owner. I'm not sure if all the launches are private but I'm sure you could carry your boat down through one of the parks. I would just row the bow into the weeds and you could see all the carp crashing around. The cat tails seem to be the best action.

Steelpulse
05-09-2014, 09:52 AM
We use our home made sling bow for carp. In salmon arm, veryy fun

BigGameJay
05-09-2014, 04:57 PM
I spear fish in Belize every winter. Use either a Hawaiian sling or a gun. I prefer the HS model as it is a lot harder then using the gun.

Foxtail
05-13-2014, 10:44 AM
I say we set something up. A bowfishing day. I have a boat that's big and comfortable enough for half a dozen or so guys(21' welded aluminum open center console) the only problem is, where to go and how to do it. So here's the deal, whoever wants to get in on it, just throw in like $10 gas money for the boat and make a day of it. Pitt lake marshes maybe?

itsy bitsy xj
05-13-2014, 10:51 AM
I say we set something up. A bowfishing day. I have a boat that's big and comfortable enough for half a dozen or so guys(21' welded aluminum open center console) the only problem is, where to go and how to do it. So here's the deal, whoever wants to get in on it, just throw in like $10 gas money for the boat and make a day of it. Pitt lake marshes maybe?
I think you can only shoot perch up here. Is there any at Pitt Lake? I heard that there is some in Dewdney Slough. Is your boat to big for in there?

Foxtail
05-13-2014, 12:31 PM
You can bowfish invasives like carp, pike minnow... Carp are what most people go after around here. Yes the boat is plenty big enough for dewdney slough. Think military landing craft with tournament bass boat speed lol.

bigracklover
06-07-2014, 12:00 AM
I tried it last weekend - so awesome. Nothing like ambusing with your bow in shorts and sandals. Here are the pics (https://www.facebook.com/ProStaffGordN).

If you go, use AMS Bowfishing gear (http://www.cabelas.ca/product/57542/ams-retriever-pro-reel) - it's top notch. Get yourself a fishouflage (http://www.fishouflage.com/patterns/CARP_pattern.aspx)shirt too.

knockturnal
06-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Shot these 2 weeks ago out on Duck lake here in Kelowna. Prime time on that lake is done as the water has receded but you can still go out in a boat and kill some. These were all spot and stalk.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/knockturnal/2F5321C5-1C96-4234-999D-1B03FD9BFC09_zpsq64v2cxf.jpg