PDA

View Full Version : Is camo on a waterfowl gun really worth $150?

albravo2
05-07-2014, 10:07 AM
So, looking long and hard at a new semi. The camo ones are typically $150 more.

As a new waterfowler I really can't imagine the colour of my gun is make-or-break but I'd like to hear the opinions of some experts.

There is also a 3M camo kit available on ebay for $40. Does anyone have experience with them? I wonder how they stand up to a smoking hot barrel. People that have the full truck advertising wraps say it does a great job of protecting the truck's paint job. I wonder if it would be the same for a gun?

bigbuckbuster
05-07-2014, 10:17 AM
Depends if you have a good blind or not. I hunt in a blind and I doubt I even need any camo at all.

hoochie
05-07-2014, 10:47 AM
having experience with the camo on a browning, the camo is actually a protectant. The gun wont rust, and it gives you grip in the wet. it is also a lot harder to scratch the gun, they stand up to more abuse.
Most of the aftermarket paint I see on the DIY projects, well.. they look like crap in my opinion. I wouldn't want to buy a gun off someone they spray painted.
Would I recommend a OEM camo? Yes.
Do I believe you need a camo gun to effectively hunt birds? NO

Fred1
05-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Always go with the "cool factor"... The birds/animals do not recognize cool, but your photos will! ;)

05-07-2014, 10:56 AM
The only thing i like about the Camo.... is in the salt chuck that coating really helps stall corrosion... As far as a duck seeing you because you have a Wood/Blued gun.... no camo aint going to give you an edge.
I bought a gun with it so It dont rust as fast

charr
05-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Take that 150.00 and invest into other gear. Is deeks, lay down blind etc... You will buy another shotgun very soon...

r106
05-07-2014, 11:47 AM
IMO if you have to ask then you probably don't want to spend the extra in the first place. So don't get it, Buy the camo wrap later on if you want it. Put the extra $150 to save up for some gear. I don't remember seeing pics of guys 20 years ago having camo guns and they didn't starve. But if you want it go for it I'm sure everyone here thinks camo's cool

quaint bucket
05-07-2014, 12:16 PM
I don't think you need it. I bought it with camo mainly for rust protection.

BiG Boar
05-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Is it camo vs blued? Or camo vs coated black gun? I would just not prefer blued for waterfowl, mainly because blued requires much more up keep.

Ian F.
05-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Personal preference and really about your gun hygiene.

Foxton Gundogs
05-07-2014, 05:00 PM
If you are spending $1500 + on a new shotgun then why quibble about the cost of camo. I have been known to shoot the odd duck or goose and IMO 1 camo is a very good protectant and 2 if you are even a little bit exposed like crouching a fence line it helps. This spring I had left the layout to adjust some deeks and 4 birds started at the decoys. I knew I wouldn't have time to make it back to the blind so threw myself on the open ground like Christ on the cross. I was camo head to foot including face paint and My Beretta, they circled the deeks twice and dropped in, they all died. Would that have happened with a bright shiny blued, or dark black gun in the middle of a n1ce clean tan colored hay field? Maybe but I doubt it.

kyleklassen
05-07-2014, 05:32 PM
I've never had one with camo....now that I think of it, that's probably the reason I never get anything.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
05-07-2014, 08:55 PM
This question is an entirely personal matter. Some will pay plenty to avoid camo, to others camo has a value much more than that $150 you've stated!

To me, it does depend upon a particular gun and whereabouts it will be used primarily. I do tend to choose blued with walnut in a matte finish in general. Rust can be kept at bay easily via diligent maintenance. Synthetic finishes in general and Browning's Dura-Touch finish in particular each have there fans and detractors. A blued gun may wear in beautifully where as camo may peel, discolour and even hide rust under it.

I can not currently speak to any camo kits as I have yet to mess with such a thing. I am certain that camo is nowhere near as beneficial as many make it out to be. It is in no way advantageous vs a matte finished blued gun nor a back synthetic one for that matter.

Ultimately either or will work just fine. Cosmetic factors are no where near as relavent as truly important aspects such as Gun fit and personal shooting skill, in my estimation.

Gateholio
05-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Without a camo shotgun, you may as well not bother hunting !

NorBC
05-07-2014, 09:13 PM

its comments like this that i wish there was a like button like facebook has :)

Beerhunter93
05-07-2014, 10:55 PM
I just bought a new semi. Wasn't going to get anything but camo. The corrosion resistance was a bonus and you can use it to help justify cost. The cool factor was why I got it in camo. :-D

Kudu
05-08-2014, 05:47 AM

Exactly - camo shotguns are like magnum rifles - dont leave home without them! :-D

biggyun68
05-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Camo or not it has to work...
Meaning aim - pull trigger - Bang... not click

Make sure it works and not that some cheap previous owner put in a plumbing O ring instead of the more expensive one for the gun store: But I am not bitter:

Missfire

Foxton Gundogs
05-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Camo or not it has to work...
Meaning aim - pull trigger - Bang... not click

Make sure it works and not that some cheap previous owner put in a plumbing O ring instead of the more expensive one for the gun store: But I am not bitter:

Missfire

It does save on that expensive Black Cloud ammo tho lol.

lorneparker1
05-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Ive never owned a camo shotgun

field marshal
05-08-2014, 01:53 PM
I've put Camo tape on my coffee cup???? Does it count???:mrgreen:---Cheers--- Field Marshal. P.S. Sounds to me like you guys need crop protection permits???

albravo2
05-21-2014, 08:18 PM
After helping out at the Ladner marsh cleanup I got so excited I stopped on the way home and bought an A400. In black.

Couple hundred shells through it so far and no regrets.

Beerhunter93
05-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Congrats on the new a400. Beauty shotgun. I picked mine up not to long ago now as well. Camo though. Have you fired any 3 1/2s yet?? They feel like 2 3/4 out of an 870. Looks like there's going to be a few more dead ducks this season. :-D

hunter fisher
05-22-2014, 07:15 AM
guns are something you shouldnt cheap out on. get exactly what you want. in a year from now youll have forgot about how much you spent on it, and still have a great gun for life

Dutch
05-31-2014, 10:03 AM
I have had both camo and black ,shoot a camo now for most of the reasons above but it is very embarassing when you put your gun down after shooting time and pick up your dekes then try to find that bloody camo gun in the dark ,especially on a rainy windy night, not to mention failing eyesight think I will by a blaze orange next year ....

pappy
05-31-2014, 10:35 AM
My friend put the camo from crappy tire on his cheap beater Mossberg, he did a good job. When I seen it I asked if he bought a new gun, it has lasted pretty good thru a couple of seasons and as long as you clean your gun then it will be just fine. People have been hunting ducks long before guns became available in camo and they did all right. My gun has the sporting carbon finish that is the same stuff as the camo, it just looks black from a distance. I'm not big into duck hunting but I still manage to put them in the freezer. I say its personal preference, pick what you like cause if you don't then you'll wish you did.